This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Read the @#$%% sign!

I've just about had it. My store is having our annual summer sale. Nothing has really changed from ALL the other sales we have throughout the year, and have had in past year. We are instructed as to what is on sale, and we mark the tickets accordingly.

Said merchandise is put on the floor, separately from the full price stuff, AND there are signs, in the window, and on top of each rack containing sale items., and they read as follows:

Save up to
    X % off
    the original price

Granted, the top and bottom lettering is lighter than the number, but come on, it still SAYS it...i can't tell you how many people think a. all sale stuff is x% off, or b. its an ADDITIONAL x% off the sale price marked on the ticket!

I've had customers whine and moan how misleading it is, and today, one who said it was false advertising! I can't figure that one out since it says it on the sign, clear as day. Just because all you idiots and morons only see what you WANT to see is not my problem.

we also have a promo going; if you spend x dollars, you get x percent off your total purchase. Again, no one can be bothered to READ the signs, and then they complain about how they thought it was on sale! sure, if you spend x dollars, but buy one item at full price, sorry, no discount.

And whining, bitching or moaning will not make me give you some special disocunt only YOU think you deserve.

I cant' wait for it to be over!

I think that one of the unwriten rules that all Sucky Customers live by is "The bigger the sign, the more I will ignore it." At every place I have worked, I have seen customers ignore signs, from a full letter-sized page with big text to a 2' x 2' Closed sign on a locked door (rattlerattlerattle... "Are you closed?").

The reverse is also true. At the bottom of a large sign I made (it was at a video store, the sign was the list of new movies that week) I put a single line of text in small print that read "$20.00 charge for rewinding DVDs." (It was a passing joke from a cartoon called 'Ned's Newt'). There were over a dozen comments ("How do you rewind DVDs?" "You need a special chip in the machine, that's why there's a charge." ) and 3 comlaints in 2 days. Apparently our competition only charged $5.00 for rewinding DVDs.
    "Kamala the Ugandan Giant" 1950-2020 • "Bullet" Bob Armstrong 1939-2020 • "Road Warrior Animal" 1960-2020 • "Zeus" Tiny Lister Jr. 1958-2020 • "Hacksaw" Butch Reed 1954-2021 • "New Jack" Jerome Young 1963-2021 • "Mr. Wonderful" Paul Orndorff 1949-2021 • "Beautiful" Bobby Eaton 1958-2021 • Daffney 1975-2021

Comment

Quoth El Pollo Guerrera View Post
      "How do you rewind DVDs?"
      LOL, I did that to my wife after we got our first DVD player. We had just watched a movie, and she got up to eject the disc. I told her, "Don't forget to rewind it!"

She actually looked for a rewind button, and then realizing she'd just been had, proceeded to cuss me out.
      Sometimes life is altered.
      Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
      Uneasy with confrontation.
      Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

I did that at the library a couple times, as I'm handing them their movies or they're leaving, I comment along the lines of 'remember to rewind it!'

I get the oddest looks.
        "If you find yourself fantasizing about throwing actual users into a blender, please get help... they're heavy." - Tom Dickson

Comment

Apparently our competition only charged $5.00 for rewinding DVDs.
          This is priceless. (Pun totally intended)
          "I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."

Comment

Quoth MadMike View Post
            She actually looked for a rewind button, and then realizing she'd just been had, proceeded to cuss me out.
            LOL! I did that same exact thing to my mother after I bought my folks a DVD player for Christmas one year. She was 5 minutes looking for the rewind button before I told her the truth. I think that I was lucky that the remote did not get thrown at me.
            "500 bucks, that's almost a million!"
            ~Curly from the 3 Stooges

Comment

Apparently our competition only charged $5.00 for rewinding DVDs.
              "Well, we do price match, sir. Five dollars, please."
              Excuse me, good sir paladin, can you direct me to your EVIL district?

http://www.dywhcomic.com

Comment

Be kind, rewind.

My grandfather, who recently passed, had gotten a DVD player last year to watch John Wayne movies. He called me up to ask about DVDs, and the following conversation took place

G: Ornery cuss who is raising hell in heaven
                D: yours truly

G: I have a DVD player now, so I can watch John Wayne movies.
                D: Cool. You get the DVD rewinder?
                G: A DVD rewinder? Where do I get that?
                D: You have to get one from the Doctor. He's got a few in his TARDIS warehouse.
                G: You ornery little shit. Who taught you to do that?
                D: You did.

From then on, he always asked the nurses at the nursing home to find the rewinder for him. He knew they weren't needed, but he loved giving them a hard time.
                I did not sell my soul to Satan. He does have a long term lease with the option to buy.

Comment

dang. first thing i saw was the "UP TO" part. Then again I can read.

Comment

Quoth MadMike View Post
                    LOL, I did that to my wife after we got our first DVD player. We had just watched a movie, and she got up to eject the disc. I told her, "Don't forget to rewind it!"

http://www.dvguru.com/2006/10/03/the-dvd-rewinder/

Comment

"Be kind, rewind."
                      "I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."

Comment

I can see where the SCs thought it was additional X% off the marked price. Some stores are confusing about whether items advertised as "X% off" are off the marked price, or already marked down. Yes, I realise this is "up to" so it has to be, but the ones that just read the big print - they're gonna ask.

I totally don't get the second one though. Spend xx$ and get x% off your total purchase, and a one-item purchase doesn't qualify? I'm confused.

So let's say it's spend $100, get 10% off your total purchase. I buy items totalling $99.99, no discount. I buy items totalling $100.00, I pay $90. Right?

So a single $100 item wouldn't come up as $90? Why not? What difference does it make if there are multiple items or one?

Comment

Well, it's kinda unclear in the OP, but I'd bet the "spend $XX, get x% off your total purchase" offer requires that you spend $XX on full priced goods. If you buy only discounted goods and one full priced pack of gums so that you reach the $XX mark, you don't get the added discount.

But that's just how I read it.

Comment

Quoth Samaliel View Post
                            Well, it's kinda unclear in the OP, but I'd bet the "spend $XX, get x% off your total purchase" offer requires that you spend $XX on full priced goods. If you buy only discounted goods and one full priced pack of gums so that you reach the $XX mark, you don't get the added discount.

But that's just how I read it.
                            actually, it applies to everything; sale and full price, or any combo, as long as your total is $100 or more, you get 20% off. We ahve to do it manually, as our POS system is ancient, and it won't automatically figure which sales it applies to. So if you bought a pair of pants at $75, and 2 tees on sale for 14 each, you'd get the 20% off.

Comment

Then I side with One-Fang : I don't get that part. Care to explain a bit more ?

Comment

Working...
                              X