This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where I almost lost my mother

I dunno if this belongs here, but it's really sucky.

Some backround info: My mom works at Advance America. They do cash advances or something to that effect. She's a manager there and usually works with one other person or by herself. Around closing time, it's just her. So...cash...in a small building...with a person by themselves does not even sound good.

I was working one night. After I get off work, I noticed that my grandma had tried to get a hold of me several times. Understandable. I was kept a bit later than I should have been. So, I'm sitting down with one of my coworkers and call her back.

"Is everything ok,Grandma?"

"Could you get home as soon as possible and come with me? I need you to come with me to your mom's work."

"What's going on?"

"Wait until we get there."

"Grandma,please, is mom ok?"

My grandma takes a huge breath and says "Your mom was robbed at gunpoint. We need to go there and I need you to drive her car home. I don't want her driving like this."

"WHAT?!" I had yelled so loud that everyone in the restaurant heard me (not hard. We are a bitty McD's) "I'll be right there!"

I ran as fast as I could to my car,with my coworkers giving me looks of "Wtf?" on their faces.

When we arrived at AdAm, I heard the whole story.

My mom was sitting there at her desk, very close to closing time (Of course! What other time would it be?) when she sees someone at the door. Her door system is set up where she has to push a button to let you in. There was nothing wrong with this guy for her to suspect he was up to no good.

Until he pulled out the gun.

He actually put it to my mom's head and after a bit, he led her into the bathrooms and told her to stay there and he robbed the place.

My mom was an utter mess after that. For a few days, she refused to leave the house. Every door was locked. At a Walmart, I told her I was going to look at some shirts a few racks away and she said "Don't go away from me." and started to cry.

I don't think they ever caught the guy.

And on top of all of this, they were thinking about firing her.

Yes. You read that correctly.

Why? She wasn't "customer ready" because she was reading a book.

Ok. I would understand that if it were the middle of the day, but this is closing time when nobody comes in and she had all her shit done and nothing else to do. Basically, all she had to do when that closing minute hit was to shut off the lights and lock the doors. Her boss stood up for her and she still has the job.

Now, they were thinking about firing her for that,when her assistant almost never comes in,calls in all the time, and just takes a day off whenever she feels like it. My mom doesn't have the power to hire or fire, otherwise this chick would have been fired. She has bent over backwards for this company, including when she messed up her ankle, she still went out and did field work (where they post advertisements all over town) when the doctors told her not to be on her ankle. She's a great manager and puts her life in danger when she has to go to people's houses to collect money just for this job.

I almost cried writing this because my mom is basically all I have. My grandparents are there too, but they could not afford to take in two teens, especially because they have a mentally challenged daughter living with them. My dad doesn't even call us or anything,so he's basically out of the picture.

On a funnier note, my mom went to do a collection call and this woman recognized her and ran into teh house and refused to answer the door.

At one point, they offered some amnesty thing where basically, the customers don't have to pay much of what they owe or something to that effect. Can you guess how many people took advantage of that?

Anyone?

If you guessed between the numbers of 0-4, you are correct.
    "Kill the fat guy first?! That's racist!" - my friend Ironside at a Belegarth practice after being "killed" first.

I belly dance with tall Goblins!

I'm so sorry, I'm really glad she's ok. My dad recenly went through a health scare and getting a call about your parent being in danger in one way or another is one of the worst things a person can go through in my experience.
    "They're magically delicious, bitch!"- Kara, http://www.customerssuck.com/board/s...ad.php?t=34968

Comment

Glad to hear your mom is doing okay physically. Having been mugged once myself I know the emotional scars will take a while to heal.
      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

You might consider suggesting your mom take a self-defense class. Not because it will teach her how to defend herself, so much as it might teach her how to feel more in control, and less afraid.

Comment

She's not bad now. She went and got psychiatric help. In fact, I get to do so much more now.
          "Kill the fat guy first?! That's racist!" - my friend Ironside at a Belegarth practice after being "killed" first.

I belly dance with tall Goblins!

Comment

I agree with Computeraide about the self-defence classes. Most colleges have a RAD Class (Rape Aggression Defence) that's completely free. After even one lesson she'll feel a lot better about herself being alone. Mayhaps she should look into it? It's seriously fun and only three classes long (once a week for three weeks, and you get a booklet so you can take advanced classes for free at any college so long as you have that book).
            Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

I also agree with the self-defense classes. I hope your mom is okay.
              I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
              Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
              Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

"Hangings too good for him! Burnings too good for him!! He should be torn into itty-bitty pieces AND BURIED ALIVE!!!" <- Obligatory heavy metal quote.

Thank god your mom is O.K. now.
                *There is no greater gift than to be reborn with every heartbeat*
                *Grudges should only be held for as long as it takes to deliver a proper vengence!*

Comment

Yeah, I was a little disaster when I was robbed too, but not at gunpoint. I doubt I would have made it to work again if it was at gunpoint. I admire your Mom for being strong.
                  Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Quoth computeraide View Post
                    You might consider suggesting your mom take a self-defense class. Not because it will teach her how to defend herself, so much as it might teach her how to feel more in control, and less afraid.
                    Quoth RetailWorkhorse View Post
                    I agree with Computeraide about the self-defence classes. Most colleges have a RAD Class (Rape Aggression Defence) that's completely free. After even one lesson she'll feel a lot better about herself being alone. Mayhaps she should look into it? It's seriously fun and only three classes long (once a week for three weeks, and you get a booklet so you can take advanced classes for free at any college so long as you have that book).

The stuff they teach in those classes is generally useless against a guy with a gun. In a situation like that, you are going to have to have the ability to inflict mayhem on someone before they can react, AND the will to do it knowing you're going to be risking your life, your job, and/or the knowledge that you've just severely injured or killed someone.

That's not something they've taught at any 3 lesson self-defense seminar I've ever heard of.

The OP's Mother did exactly the right thing, given the situation. She did as she was told, stayed quiet, and got through it alive... which is what the whole point of self-defense is.
                    ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
                    And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

My suggestion wasn't meant for her to learn how to beat up a robber. Because that would be the ultimate in dumbness. (I'm the first one to advocate just letting them take what they want.) But taking a step to "take control" of your life can be good if you're living your life in fear in the wake of something traumatic.

Glad to hear the OP's mom is doing better already, though.

Comment

Quoth computeraide View Post
                        My suggestion wasn't meant for her to learn how to beat up a robber. Because that would be the ultimate in dumbness. (I'm the first one to advocate just letting them take what they want.) But taking a step to "take control" of your life can be good if you're living your life in fear in the wake of something traumatic.

Glad to hear the OP's mom is doing better already, though.
                        No worries.

I forget who said it, but "Only when there is hope swelling in his breast can a man's spirit be truly crushed." I've had to see the results of people thinking that strip-mall Tae Kwon Do will actually do something in the real world more than once, and that is very true. It's never pretty, they usually get hurt, and they're always worse off in the aftermath, mentally, than the people who had no clue how to put knuckles to flesh in any form.

That said, learning self defense from an instructor who actually knows how to teach the curriculum (the legalities of physical force in the local area, non-physical deescalation techniques to stop the fight before it starts, and technique that actually works) is a great way to get back in control of your own mind and life. Strip-mall Tae Kwon Do, or some UberNinjaCult place, on the other hand, can either get you seriously hurt, or in jail for going to far and getting yourself charged with assault.

Let me emphasize once more, for everyone: Not all "Self Defense Programs" are created equal, and picking a bad can leave you worse off than not picking one at all, so do your homework.
                        And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Also, the book "The Gift of Fear" by Gavin DeBecker is very useful. One of the most important lessons in that book is identifying potentially dangerous situations while you still have time to get out of them.

That particular lesson probably wouldn't have helped the OP's mother, unfortunately, but the book is very good nonetheless.
                          Seshat's self-help guide:
                          1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                          2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                          3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                          4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth JustADude View Post

... or some UberNinjaCult place, on the other hand...

[/I][/B]
                            Yeah. Make sure she doesn't take a self defense course from Ashida Kim, Frank Dux, and Choson Ninja

Comment

Quoth Pezzle View Post
                              Yeah. Make sure she doesn't take a self defense course from Ashida Kim, Frank Dux, and Choson Ninja
                              No, seriously. There's people out there that teach broken technique and all sorts of useless, flashy Slaughterification moves in the name of 'self defense'. They feed on the idiots who want to hear what they're being taught will let them beat anyone, anywhere, any time, either because they're afraid or because they want to "Be A Super Ninja Badass™ In 90 Minutes A Week". Using these guys' stuff is worse than TaeKwonDo, because there's a chance it will work, and then you're in jail for murder because your instructor told you to break their neck as a preemptive strike.

If you want to train for health and confidence, just go for one of the classic styles. If you want to be able to survive a potential curb-stomping, train in Krav Maga or a school recommended by someone like a professional bodyguard (I'd say cops, but most of them don't have crap for hand-to-hand skills that I know of).

Comment

Working...
                              X