This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As a martial arts friend once told me:

You can spend years learning martial arts and fancy moves, but in the end you still have to play with what you're dealt... Last I heard a S&W still beats 4 aces.
    *There is no greater gift than to be reborn with every heartbeat*
    *Grudges should only be held for as long as it takes to deliver a proper vengence!*

Comment

Quoth Leopardmadcat View Post
      As a martial arts friend once told me:

You can spend years learning martial arts and fancy moves, but in the end you still have to play with what you're dealt... Last I heard a S&W still beats 4 aces.
      Only if they have a few feet on the person and/or attack without warning. Brandishing a gun within grabbing distance of someone who knows how to deal with it is going to get you either hurt or killed. That's why LEOs always tell the person to stay at a distance when they're in a guns-out situation.

That being said, I'd have to be damn sure I was about 3 seconds from dying to try something on a guy with a pistol drawn on me, even if he was right up in my face.
      ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
      And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Quoth JustADude View Post
        (I'd say cops, but most of them don't have crap for hand-to-hand skills that I know of).
        Seeing as we don't have the luxury/problems of firearms UK police are primarily taught how to prevent yourself getting caught up in that kind of situation, then they go through a day a week for about 18 weeks during basic training for takedowns, cuffing, baton strikes etc.

Remember this, when your adrenaline starts to flow your fine motor skills go to shit, you won't have any. This I *can* promise you, you will only retain your gross motor skills and any muscle memory that you have. If your self defence programme relies heavily on fine motor control bin it and try again.
        A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

If you want to train for health and confidence, just go for one of the classic styles. If you want to be able to survive a potential curb-stomping, train in Krav Maga or a school recommended by someone like a professional bodyguard (I'd say cops, but most of them don't have crap for hand-to-hand skills that I know of).
          Or if you're like me, Taijiquan has saved you from shit-kickings. Problem is it won't work if you need an immediate result. Then I'd go for something like a modern MA/MMA or military combatives program. OR muay thai that stuff's just crazy

Comment

They feed on the idiots who want to hear what they're being taught will let them beat anyone, anywhere, any time, either because they're afraid or because they want to "Be A Super Ninja Badass™ In 90 Minutes A Week".
            These people need to enroll in a Tae Kwan Leep class.
            "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Back on Topic

I am glad that you mom is ok. My mother was at work, when the place got robbed. And ofcourse, she was the only one in the building.
              Under The Moon Paranormal Research
              San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

Thankfully a great many robbers are only after product and/or money and will generally not harm employees so long as they're compliant.

A gamestop store I worked at got robbed (Thankfully I was off that day), my manager, like your mom, had a gun pulled on him and was tied up in the back. Also, like your mom, he was shaken but unharmed.
                "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

McGoddess, I'm so sorry that your mother had to go through that ordeal. More than that, I glad she's safe now.

Many here have offered opinions about personal protection/self-defense. I would like to offer my opinion as well. I have trained in martial arts now for about 4 years. Before we could test into advanced curriculum, our master instructor required each one of his students over the age of 16 to register and train in the CDT Program. I am going to provide the link to Master Hunter's site with the information on CDT knowing that this particular school/training center is out of your area. However, there is a very big possibility that there is an instructor of CDT in your area, if you were to be interested in it. The difference in this program and other "women's self defense" is that this program/method uses basic body movements that we use in everyday living such as a knock on the door, throwing a baseball, etc. type moves. The program is taught in (2) 8 hour days and by the time you are finished, you will be confident in your new skills. While 16 hours doesn't seem like a lot of time to learn a program, you will be amazed at really how easy it is and you can also be confident that any instructor authorized by Mr. Patire will not let you pass unless you can successfully demonstrate the required skills. They will continue to work with you until you can demonstrate it.

I would like to say that I am in no way affiliated with Mr. Patire, his site, or his company. I have my feet firmly planted in Glasgow, KY and am only certified in the basic program myself (have been taught-I do not teach). My desire to get the word out comes from the simple fact that I was certified and received my certificate on a Sunday afternoon. I went on Monday to the mall to finish up some Christmas shopping and that very day was rushed by a stranger and had to immediately put my skills to use. Karate was the last thing on my mind, compliance and safety were the first things.

If you take the opportunity to review Master Hunter's CDT information from the link below and would like further information, contact him via email and he can put you in touch with a qualified instructor in your area. This is not only a program for women, but men, young adults, and there are a couple different programs for children only and one for families.

http://www.hunterkarate.com/cdt2.html (if you email for more info-tell him Michelle sent you since he'll wonder how someone out of the area got his website for CDT)

Comment

Working...
                  X