This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• woman with attitude

This happened the other day. I had a woman come to my register to check out her stuff. At the same time, one of my coworkers was trying to explain how to work a certain part of the register (processing a return.) This conversation was all businesslike, and it was a damn important one. So I turn around to listen to him speak, and this "woman" says "Talk and ring! Talk and ring!" One of the people with her tried to apologize for her behavior to me, to which she replied "It doesn't work that way where I work." I was irritated with this woman, but said nothing to her during the entire transaction. As she was leaving she announces "Have a great day to you too." God some people annoy me. Should I have gotten irritated, or should I simply have ignored an important business conversation with a cw for the good of the customer?
    I am the commander commando!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quoth scroob View Post
    ...this "woman" says "Talk and ring! Talk and ring!" ...Should I have gotten irritated, or should I simply have ignored an important business conversation with a cw for the good of the customer?
    When she said "Talk and ring! Talk and Ring" you should have said "Eat shit and die! Eat shit and die!".
    "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

The supervisor who was doing the training, should have stepped in at that point and said, "We'll be with you in just a moment. I need to finish this brief training on ( returns ), and then the cashier can ring you out."
      Ideally, the training should have been done when you were not available to customers, perhaps with a "closed register" sign or off the sales floor.

However, the customer was rude. Perhaps she thought she was being funny?
      I am doubtful that she realized that you were in the middle of a training.

From her perspective, it may have looked as if you were available to check her out, when you in fact not.

Comment

In my expierence/opinion when a customer comes to the counter to be rung up you put all conversations on hold and proceed with the transaction at hand.

And as far as the "have a nice day to you too", that was her way of showing she was annoyed you didn't speak the whole time she was there.

I understand it being an important conversation, but I think it could/should have waited until the customers were gone.

Comment

I disagree. If you let one customer interrupt you, soon more people will be continually interrupting and you'll never get the training done. They need to be politely taken somewhere else to be waited on.
          Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Comment

Quoth draftermatt View Post

I understand it being an important conversation, but I think it could/should have waited until the customers were gone.

I agree. Especially since it sounds like this transaction had nothing to do with returns.

Comment

The customer was rude - YES. But the training could have been done after or before your hours. Or even on an closed register.
              Under The Moon Paranormal Research
              San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

I noticed a lot of you guys are WAY too passive. It seems like some of you take customer abuse like champs. I would have said something but used tact to keep my job. She wouldn't have gotten away w/talking continuous trash.

Comment

Sometimes some supervisors/managers, etc. are poor trainers though.

I got the impression that this "lesson" was being done on a whim (kind of like, another cashier needed to know how to do a return, supervisor comes up and thinks, 'hey, while I'm teaching you, I'll teach everyone else!'). And thus, the lesson was done on the clock, with customers in the store and in line.

Some supervisors/manager will only give the lesson once and then walk away, leaving you to fend for yourself with only tidbits of information that you managed to grasp and comprehend.

I understand where scroob is coming from, I've been in a situation (although I was never helping any customers) similar to that, where basically you had to drop everything you were doing to learn or else you'll miss out.

I find that going to another employee who was able to give the lesson their full attention to go back over it with me after the rush is over ...
                  This area is left blank for a reason.

Comment

I've RARELY gotten any kind of training "off the clock." I got maybe a half an hour. I honestly don't know about any stores that train you not on the job. I'd like that, but I don't really think it's a "real world" situation these days.

And by off the clock, I'm sure you don't mean technically "off the clock." The horror!

Comment

Quoth scroob View Post
                      I was irritated with this woman, but said nothing to her during the entire transaction. As she was leaving she announces "Have a great day to you too."
                      I had something like this happen to me once.

Now, if someone's talking on their cell phone when they come through my register, I usually just keep out of their conversation, only speaking up when I need input from them on something. Sometimes, however -- like in the incident I'm about to relate -- I won't say one word to them. Mostly because I can tell they're the sort who will snap "I'm TALKING, don't interrupt me!" or something like that.

So this woman comes up, yakking on her cell phone the entire time. I just help her unload her cart, ring her up, and when the total comes up, just catch her eye and point to the total. This entire time, she has also NOT SAID ONE WORD TO ME. She's barely even made eye contact. She's much too busy talking to whomever.

She pays me, and about that time, she finishes her call and hangs up. As she hands me the signed credit slip, she then looks at me and says, "You know, you're the rudest cashier I've ever had here? You didn't say one word to me the entire time."

She walks off, while the sheer irony of the situation nearly made my head explode.
                      PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth karma_gypsy View Post
                        I got the impression that this "lesson" was being done on a whim (kind of like, another cashier needed to know how to do a return, supervisor comes up and thinks, 'hey, while I'm teaching you, I'll teach everyone else!'). And thus, the lesson was done on the clock, with customers in the store and in line.
                        lol karma you are close, but it was even more of a whim than that. i was the only one with a customer, but he still wanted to teach me something about doing returns on the register, which was important because now i know something i did not know before.
                        Last edited by protege; 07-18-2008, 05:48 PM. Reason: Quote tag :)
                        I am the commander commando!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Teaching you something new on a whim doesn't trump the fact that you had customers to serve. As a customer, I'd have been annoyed, but I wouldn't have been as rude about it as this woman was. Her comment would have prompted me to ask the supervisor to show me after she had been rung through and to apologize for keeping her waiting - you and your supervisor were in the wrong here as far as my 2ΓΈ are worth... and your attitude towards her throughout the transaction didn't help matters.

You needlessly kept a customer waiting for "important information" you could have gotten at any time, and then were rude to her on top of that. All she did was express her annoyance at *your* behavior.
                          GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
                            I had something like this happen to me once.

Now, if someone's talking on their cell phone when they come through my register, I usually just keep out of their conversation, only speaking up when I need input from them on something. Sometimes, however -- like in the incident I'm about to relate -- I won't say one word to them. Mostly because I can tell they're the sort who will snap "I'm TALKING, don't interrupt me!" or something like that.

So this woman comes up, yakking on her cell phone the entire time. I just help her unload her cart, ring her up, and when the total comes up, just catch her eye and point to the total. This entire time, she has also NOT SAID ONE WORD TO ME. She's barely even made eye contact. She's much too busy talking to whomever.

She pays me, and about that time, she finishes her call and hangs up. As she hands me the signed credit slip, she then looks at me and says, "You know, you're the rudest cashier I've ever had here? You didn't say one word to me the entire time."

She walks off, while the sheer irony of the situation nearly made my head explode.

I get this all the time! we have to ask for info on each customer - like what service they want, but no one hangs up the phone they act put out that you are talking to them but if you give them the form to fill out they act like you aren't serving them.

Comment

Quoth scroob View Post
                              So I turn around to listen to him speak, and this "woman" says "Talk and ring! Talk and ring!"
                              So her sex is in question because she said something rude?

/confused

Comment

Working...
                              X