Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Our staff have the right to work in a safe environment...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Our staff have the right to work in a safe environment...

Ok, so this guy came in today and he was one of those customers that no sooner he got onto the carpark, much less walked in the door, you could tell he was gonna be an SC. On our carpark there is a company demonstrating the next generation of in-car computer (the fact they are still having to plug these cars in to run the computers all day says to me not to buy one until they can get it to run off the alternator) but they had taken one of the cars out to grab lunch so to keep their space, they coned-off the space they were in. SC stopped, got out of his car, moved the cones onto the adjacent grass verge and parked there.

You couldn’t actually see that from the tech desk, that was what I was told by security later

Comes up to tech and of course, who is the one who serves him? ...yeah. Me.

Me: Tech who seems to be attracting abuse just lately
    SC: Laptop guy
    BCH: Branch call handling guy

SC: *almost throws the laptop onto the counter* this fucking thing isn’t charging it’s battery again. It’s just out of its warranty now, but I complained about it when it was inside the warranty. It’s still not been sorted

Now, this isn’t un-common with electrical devices. The nature of electricity is such that you can think you’ve sorted the problem, and it seems to work long enough for you to test the new components or the fix...then when it comes to the actual deployment and using it in real life, it fails almost immediately. The best example is when your power goes off. You’ll see it sometimes where it comes back on for a brief second, then goes back out again. That’s because national grid have thought they have fixed the problem, but haven’t.

So I take the computer and the charger, put it on my work bench, plug it in, power it up ad hover the mouse pointer over the battery symbol. To my surprise, it does in fact say “Battery: 0% Plugged in, Not charging. Power mode: Balanced”

Me: *Walks back out with the computer* Yeah. Looks like the battery just doesn’t want to know. Can I see your receipt?

He hands me the receipt. The computer is 23 months old. And, total surprise, I look on the computer and I find that the log about the battery not charging was logged on the computer at 7 months old however, the laptop was on test in the workshop for a week. Apparently they have realised batteries can be a bit of a bastard so they obviously test them much longer. On test for a week; problem fixed.

Me: Okay, the computer is 23 months old, the problem was fixed. You need to buy a new battery
    SC: *raises his voice* What?! You have to do something
    Me: I don’t have to do a damn thing. I SHOULD charge you for the diagnostic but since it only took me 2 seconds, I’ll let it slide
    SC: *starts shouting* This is fuckin’ ridiculous. I demand that you sort my computer out this very fuckin second, you worthless little fuck!
    Me: *Points to a sign just above and to the left of me* this sign says that I have the right to work in a safe environment and that the company will actively prosecute anybody who does not respect that right. If you continue to yell and swear at me, you and your computer WILL be kicked out
    SC: Bollocks. I want to speak to your manager right fucking now, you little shit
    Me: Right, I warned you...

This is the point where I get to test out a new line to my particular brand of pwnage

Me: ...*Picks up his laptop and walks away towards the doors*
    SC: Where the hell do you think you’re going?!
    Me: I told you that if you continued then you would be removed from the building *Stops at security and speaks to the guard* Please don’t let this guy back in
    Security: Fine
    Me: *Continues to walk outside with the laptop under my arm. Gets to the pavement at the end of the car park, SC still in tow and I place the laptop on the pavement, then turn around and walk back to the store smiling inwardly*

Needless to say the guy EXPLODED

SC: YOU WERE JUST GONNA LEAVE THAT HERE?!!
    Me: I told you that you would be ejected from the building. If you come back in, the security guard will detain in and you will be prosecuted. This conversation is over. Goodbye

At that point I just turned back and walked back into the store. He did try to come back in but security stopped him and informed him that if he didn’t leave right this very second, he would be arrested. He left, but not before shouting “THIS PLACE IS FUCKING SHIT. I’M NEVER BUYING FROM HERE AGAIN!”

Good riddance

So, I get back to Tech

Ade: Oi! Botch. The fuck d’ya do to piss fuckwitt over there off?
    Me: Told him he had no consumer rights on a 2-year-old machine.
    Ade: That all it took?! Fuck me
    Me: Well, once he started yelling, after I warned him, I did take his computer outside and place it on the pavement at the end of the car park
    Ade: Quality shoulda dropped the fucker. Would have served the bastard right. Twat.

So, about 2 hours later I’m sitting at my desk and the phone rings

“Incoming Call. Branch Call handling” I’m pretty familiar with some of the guys at Branch Call handling. A few of them I am on first name terms with. So I picked it up

Me: Hello, Tech.
    BCH: Hi, who am I speaking to?
    Me: Flea.
    BCH: Oh, Hiya, Flea! Hows things?
    Me: Is that Simon?
    BCH: Yeah
    Me: Hiya Si. Not too bad thanks. You?
    BCH: I’m good. Hey, listen. I’ve got this guy on the phone, giving me a right ear bashing about something that happened in store today. I was just wandering if I could speak to someone who knows about it
    Me: What happened?
    BCH: Well, apparently, he was having a problem with his computer, so the guy he dealt with took his computer outside and just left it on the pavement
    Me: Oh yeah. That was me.
    BCH: WHAT?!! What the HELL did you do THAT for?!!
    [So I told him the story]
    BCH: Oh, fair enough. I can believe that. Jesus Christ though, did you have to piss him off like that? Lol
    Me: He started being aggressive. I am well within my rights to use any and all reasonable means to eject him from the store. I’ve already told out GM who’s behind me on this one.
    BCH: Fair enough. Now I gotta go and deal with him. You owe me a drink for this one
    Me: I owe you several
    BCH: Yeah. I plan to build them up and get plastered on YOUR tab
    Me: Good job you live in Nottingham then, a good 200 miles away from my wallet
    BCH: *Chuckles* yeah, all right. Catch you later.
    Me: Bye. *Hangs up*
    -The one, The Only, AdvancedFlea-

Stick that in your blog and smoke it.

A guide for customers about retail

Quality job there, matey! Nice to see shouty cunts like that don't get anywhere.

Comment

What happened to the pylons??
      "If you find yourself fantasizing about throwing actual users into a blender, please get help... they're heavy." - Tom Dickson

Comment

I'd just smile if as you walked back inside while the guy was arguing with you, someone drove by and ran over the the laptop... Better then dropping it, then it isn't your fault.
        "I'm working for popcorn - what I get paid doesn't rise to the level of peanuts." -Courtesy of Darkwish

...Beware the voice without a face...

Comment

I may be across the pond from you, but here's one on me . Here's to pwning and banning SC's.
          I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
          Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
          Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Good job. That guy deserved exactly what he got.
            "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

Time

23-7=16 months! That is well over a year he had been using it since the last repair. It is certain that it is something else that failed this time.

I hate people who claim that they just had something in for repair and it turns out that it has been years/sometimes not even your repair shop and they start demanding warranty repairs.

Comment

good work, glad that scumbag got what he deserved

Comment

My laptop battery went *plooey* a month after it went out of warranty. You know what I did?

I. bought. a. new. battery.

Seriously, what is so hard about that? They're not even THAT expensive. (Okay, mine was around $150 US, but compared to the cost of a new laptop, yeah...)
                  "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
                  Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

Lithium-Ion Batteries usually have a 6 month warranty, NOT EXTENDABLE! Ion batteries have an inherent built-in lifespan. Typical loss is anywhere from 20% to 40% per year, but failure is often about 18 to 24 months due to cyclic recharging and overheating.

Explaining this to asshats is impossible though...
                    *There is no greater gift than to be reborn with every heartbeat*
                    *Grudges should only be held for as long as it takes to deliver a proper vengence!*

Comment

Flea, you TOTALLY need to come over to the US and work with me.
                      "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

*Low whistle*

BEAUTY, mate. That one I really would have loved to have seen in person.
                        Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

Another bloody chav SC who thinks he can get results by swearing at people. Would have been funny if the laptop got nicked from the pavement by some scallie!

Comment

Quoth MattW View Post
                            Another bloody chav SC who thinks he can get results by swearing at people. Would have been funny if the laptop got nicked from the pavement by some scallie!
                            Um, the OP was the first one to swear...

Comment

*golf clap*

Well played, sir, well played.
                              Unseen but seeing
                              oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                              There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                              3rd shift needs love, too
                              RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Working...
                              X