No announcement yet.

The Coronavirus Panic Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My favorite Chinese place here (out of the two we have) has been set up as pickup only for months; they even converted one of their front-facing panes of glass into to service window. You have to order by phone or online -- I actually prefer online ordering, as it's harder for them to misunderstand the order. The problem is, based on how long it takes, it appears that they don't actually start cooking the orders until AFTER you get there. What, then is the point of ordering in advance? A few weeks ago, they even remade an order for a friend (he has allergy issues and they ignored his one altered item request) and it took more then ten minutes waiting there to get his remake with nobody else in line, even though he got to the store ten+ minutes after requesting the corrected item x.x (Note that nothing there takes that long to cook). Grrrr.

As for apps: Some of them are real shit shows. Sonic and Mickey D's have good ones; Wendy's is pretty good but lacking in some customization options (McD/W usually have some really good daily specials, though, and W has a rewards points thing now). BK's is a joke; the last few times I tried to use it, it crashed on me 3 times before I just gave up and ordered at the DT speaker. It doesn't help that the only one anywhere near my house has a wifi signal so weak that it barely reaches past the front door.
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

• We've been cleaning our ATM, door handles, etc. every day with sanitizing wipes. But I discovered today that apparently nobody's been cleaning the night deposit because I went to wipe it down and there was bird crap all over the handle.
      "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
      -Mira Furlan

Comment

• Quoth Pixelated View Post
        I didn't work Monday or Tuesday, when the charges first went back into effect. I was back today, and wow. I think a good 80-90 per cent of my customers brought in their own "packaging."
        W can bring our own bags back to the grocery store (at least, the one I use), *but only if we pack them ourselves.*

Comment

• Same here. It took a few weeks for all towns to get the message (some have their own plastic bag bans which had to be lifted due to COVID and then reinstated), but reusable bags are now pack-your-own. That hasn't stopped some people from whining about "why won't you pack my [gross cloth haven't-been-washed-in-a-month] bags?"
          "I am quite confident that I do exist."
          "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

• Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
            That hasn't stopped some people from whining about "why won't you pack my [gross cloth haven't-been-washed-in-five-years] bags?"
            Fixed that for ya.

Comment

• The vast majority of bags I used to see were fine, but yeah, there was a very small percentage that made me want to say "You're going to put your FOOD into that??"

I've been telling people we can't pack their bags "because of all the stuff we have to handle during the day." Makes it sound like we're the ones doing the favour ... so far, it seems to be working.
              Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
              ~ Mr Hero

Comment

• Quoth Pixelated View Post
                Makes it sound like we're the ones doing the favour ... so far, it seems to be working.
                I have said it before, it is all in how you phrase things.
                Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
                Save the Ales!
                Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

• A (silent) comment to the hosers with their nosers hanging out of their mask:

"I hope you wear your jockey cup with your "trunk" hanging out too!"
                  I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                  Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                  Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

• Quoth dalesys View Post
                    A (silent) comment to the hosers with their nosers hanging out of their mask:

"I hope you wear your jockey cup with your "trunk" hanging out too!"
                    If they don't, you just started a new fad.
                    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

• Do you WANT NSFW "People of WalMart"...? 'Cuz that's how you get NSFW PoWM.
                      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

• Some Seth Rogen-looking motherfucker came though the checkout line tonight. How did I know what he looked like? Because he was bare-faced. I politely asked him if he could remember to wear a mask the next time he came in, and he didn't fly into a rage like the last guy I asked, but still...Christ's sake.

Comment

• I've had people nearly begging me for forgiveness because they "forgot their mask". Look, I ain't the Mask Pope. The company doesn't want to strong arm people into wearing one and personally I wouldn't confront people even if they did. Yesterday my coworker said that some lady was wearing a fishnet mask...so, yeah. I had a lady who just covered her mouth with her hand, at least she wasn't paying with cash. Most of all though I'm noticing how many people are walking around with filthy hands. No wonder my own hands are raw from the stupid sanitizer.
                          I would have a nice day, but I have other things to do.

Comment

• Customer comes in, no mask. Asks the teller if we have a mask. She goes to our stash and hands him one of our disposable ones. He goes through his whole transaction and doesn't put the mask on until he's leaving. :facepalm:
                            "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
                            -Mira Furlan

Comment

• The maintenance guy just came in and fixed something in my apt. without a mask. I'm sure he was in a hurry and wasn't thinking about it but it makes me nervous that I had to go in the bathroom after he was in there working fast and probably breathing hard in the process. He was min. 6 feet from me practically the whole time but still it's difficult. But I have been to 2 restaurants so far, distanced, because Mom, Bro, and I are house-hunting in different cities and Bro lives 35 miles from us, so we have eaten out a couple of times. I guess I can't really complain because of that. idk; I guess I figure I'll get it eventually. But I don't want to give it to anyone as a carrier. Masks aren't mandated for residences here so it's gray area. Not much I can do about really any of this.
                              "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

• I'm going to vent here. I've got a good friend who is going through pure hell right now. His mom has Alzheimer's. Over the past few weeks she's really gone down hill bad. He finally found out why - she also had suffered a stroke.

Now how does this deal with this thread? He isn't allowed to visit her in the hospital! Because of the situation she's only allowed one visitor - period. So his younger brother - who has power of attorney is the visitor.

It really pisses me off that he can't even see his mom in the hospital! I hope this post isn't crossing the rules, but this is just wrong.

At least I was able to cheer him up with a brewery trip to Iowa on Sunday. It got his mind off the situation, and he felt better.
                                "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

Working...
                                X