This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm not a racist. Nor are the rules.

OK, again back to when I worked in that club.

It was "members only", but to promote the club as a students' place (as I lived in an University town) there was a policy in place: foreigners resident in the country got a 50% discount on the membership fee; foreigners *not* resident in the country got a "one-night" pass for a symbolic price. To be clear: when the membership (for one year) costed 20 Euro, a "foreign resident" could get it for 10 and a "one night pass" costed 1.

In comes an African guy (I specify it because he used this to attempt an, albeit minor, scam).

Me: the big guy at the door, on a slow night
    SC: the guy mentioned above. He is tall and muscular
    Boss: the awesome boss I mentioned in another post
    DW: the cook of the club, a New Yorker of African descent (and very proud of it)

Maybe I should be specifying that all this was happening in Italy about 10 years ago, where there was a string presence of people from diverse countries and cultures but mostly first generation immigrants.

SC walks in ignoring me
    Me: "Sorry mate, can I see your card please?"
    SC: "Which card?"
    Me (assuming he had never been in the club and therefore ignored its policy - even though it was written in clear letters on the door): This is a membership-only club, membership costs 20 Euro, I can fill in your membership application immediately if you have a document on you" (mind, in Italy it is considered a felony to not be carrying a form of personal identification)
    SC: "But I only want to have a beer"
    Me: "If you don't intend to apply for membership I can not allow you inside. However, there is a pub across the street if you only want to have a drink or two"
    SC: "No, I have been here last week and your colleague has allowed me to get in with no card"
    Me: "It seems very unlikely, but if it happened I'm sure it was an exception and I can not allow you in"
    SC: "I will leave my document with you, can I get in?"
    Me: "If you leave your document with me I will fill in your membership application."
    SC hands me his document anyway, and I notice that he is not an Italian citizen but has an Italian ID card (and therefore is a resident). So I explain him that he has the right to have a 50% discount on the membership.
    SC, changing topic: "You are racist, you don't let me in because I'm black"
    Me: "Sir, I will allow you in the club if you have a membership card"
    SC: "Look, there are Brothers in there!" (pointing at a group of people clearly of African descent)
    Me: "This should prove that racism is not in question here. They all have their membership cards"
    SC: "Call them and I will ask them to prove it! I am friends with [Boss] anyway"
    Me: "I will not bother our members to accommodate your request Sir. And if you are friends with [Boss] you will know that he is strict in his policies"
    SC: "I WANT TO TALK WITH [Boss]". Yes, in CAPITAL LETTERS. I am not small (no, I am not), but he was towering over me.
    Boss peeks from his "office".
    Boss: "Who is calling me?"
    SC: "He won't let me in!"
    Boss: "Do you have a membership card?"
    SC: "No, but..."
    Boss (interrupting him): "So he is right to not allow you in the club. Goodbye" (and disappears)
    SC (towards the office): "HEY! I WILL TELL EVERYBODY THAT YOU ARE RACISTS!"
    Boss (comes out from the office, clearly upset. he is as tall as the SC): "I do not accept you insulting me and my club this way. Now please, leave."
    SC: "I do not talk to racists." - and of course doesn't show any intention to leave.
    Boss: "OK, wait here", and walks away. He comes back after less than a minute with DW, our cook. Who is an African-American (and a former US Army Officer as well).
    DW: "Any problem?"
    SC: "You understand me! You will! These guys are racists! They won't let me in the club!"
    DW: "Mate, I know them. I work with them. They are definitely not racists. You need a membership card to come in here"
    SC: "Why, do you have one?"
    DW: "I am working here, you genius! Anyway yes, I do"
    SC seems puzzled. Then rummages in his pockets. Produces... yes. You guessed it. a membership card.
    SC: "I just wanted to see if you are racist, and now I know you are! I'm never coming back and I'll tell all my friends!", and walks away.
    Me, Boss and DW:
    FABRICATI DIEM, PVNC

You're not a unique snowflake unless you create your own mould (Raps)

***GK, Sarcastro, Lupo, LingualMonkey, BookBint, Jester, Irv, Hero & Marlowe fan***

Ow.

You owe me a new brain.

Comment

Quoth KiaKat View Post
      Ow.

You owe me a new brain.
      Me, too. (whimpers)
      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

That's like claiming someone is [insert discrimination card of choice here] because they won't let you into a movie without a ticket.

When will people learn that goods and services aren't free? Oh wait....forgot where I was for a second there.
        "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2y8Sx4B2Sk
          Last edited by Magpie; 07-20-2010, 05:36 PM.

Comment

To paraphrase Gravekeeper, the word "racist" is a dead horse that's been beaten so thoroughly it's fossilized and become a national historical site.

Nowadays all it seems to mean is "You disagree with me, and your skin isn't the same color as mine."
            Last edited by Irving Patrick Freleigh; 07-20-2010, 10:18 PM. Reason: You're=/=your
            Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

SC Definition: Racist - Any person who refuses to let an SC (usually a minority) have their way.
              "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

*CRACK!*

That was the sound of Curly's brain breaking. She is unable give an coherent answer right now. Please try again later.
                "Honestly officer, he asked for a shot and I gave him one. Why do you need the handcuffs?" - MannersMakethMan

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                  Me, too. (whimpers)
                  Me three! I never thought a post could cause actual PHYSICAL PAIN while being read! Bravo.

Hee, should have asked him why he joined a 'racist' club in the first place!
                  "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Quoth LillFilly View Post
                    Hee, should have asked him why he joined a 'racist' club in the first place!
                    "I don't care to belong to any club that will have me as a member."
                    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                      SC Definition: Racist - Any person who refuses to let an SC (usually a minority) have their way.
                      Minorities aren't the only ones.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                        "I don't care to belong to any club that will have me as a member."
                        Oh, Groucho, where would we be without you?

Wait, wait, wait...

He had a membership card, but he was intentionally not giving it up because he wanted to see if you would let him in without it...

... and if you didn't, THAT proves you're racist?

I just don't get people...
                        "Kamala the Ugandan Giant" 1950-2020 • "Bullet" Bob Armstrong 1939-2020 • "Road Warrior Animal" 1960-2020 • "Zeus" Tiny Lister Jr. 1958-2020 • "Hacksaw" Butch Reed 1954-2021 • "New Jack" Jerome Young 1963-2021 • "Mr. Wonderful" Paul Orndorff 1949-2021 • "Beautiful" Bobby Eaton 1958-2021 • Daffney 1975-2021

Comment

This guys's experiment fails hard. In order to prove racism, he would have to prove that there are caucasions inside the store who were permitted without a club card. Since he made the assertion, the burdain of proof lies with the SC.
                          To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Wait...what just happened?
                            A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

...Wut.

My brain.

Don't do this to me when I've just woken up.
                              Childrenofthenight.Thecomicseries.com/comics/latest

Check out my comic. I write, my friend Red draws. Comments welcome. Leave them on their, or on my profile here.

Comment

Working...
                              X