X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Dog...

...refusing to learn new tricks.

Okay, so as I've previously posted the security contract is switching from one company to another at the end of this month. I've managed to work it so that everybody has had the opportunity to change companies as well. Why train new guards if the old ones are willing to switch companies, right? Especially ones who were worried about what they were going to do for work at the end of the month.

We have one employee - I'll call him Old Dog, for obvious reasons later - who has had his underwear in a bunch pretty much since the get go. I get that some people do not deal with change, but such is life. However, this Old Dog does not want to learn new tricks at all. Not that there is anything really major changing at all. But he has been bitching up a storm all the same, not that anything is going to change what is coming into effect at the end of the month no matter how pissed off he gets. If he keeps it up I'll see to it that his job offer is rescinded because I'm pretty much had it with him.

At first he was okay because he assumed it was going to be nothing more than a uniform change, that everything else would stay the same. Unfortunately for him, the new company runs differently than the one we're currently working for. For one, they aren't anywhere near as sloppily run and they have rules and policies in place to ensure that we fit their company guidelines. No big deal, as far as I'm concerned or as any of the others are concerned. Old Dog, on the other hand has been having a complete shit fit over it.

One of the first things that is changing is when shifts start. Shifts will run midnight to 8am, 8am to 4pm, 4pm to midnight - it's an hour later start times from what we've been working, and it's due largely to how their payroll system works. I've already looked into it with the interest in keeping shifts the same, but once I saw how the new payroll system works I could fully understand it and I explained it to everybody already. Well, Old Dog balked at it, even though he's not restricted by buses like the rest of us are - he owns a car and lives pretty close to the site. Oh, and he tried to say that he would leave as soon as his relief showed up...and had a fit when I told him that once the new company is in place we have to call the switchboard to start and end our shifts. Well, he damn near lost it. I can understand him having to leave early to get his wife to her doctors' appointments but there is plenty of time for her to change any appointments that she can.

Then there is the paperwork required to book time off. He's pissed about that because they've never had to do that before. Um, I had been considering putting that into place for my two sites so that I could have a paper trail for head office. I don't know what his issue is with that because it's only filling out a couple of different spots on a form that then gets faxed into the new company's office. It allows them to get somebody to fill in the days anybody here needs off so I'm not working entirely too many hours - this company actually has enough staff locally that we can cover off like this. But he's still pissed off. Ugh.

The whole calling in to start and end a shift has him in a fury. Over the years that he's been at this site he's gotten used to being able to come in early and leave early without having to answer to anybody. I will admit that I didn't mind him coming in early because it meant that I got to leave a bit early. However, that is obviously not going to be happening with this new company, and the rest of us are just sucking it up. Old Dog...well, he's barking his head off over this as well.

In his rants he has even picked apart how the guards at the office don't wear their uniforms properly, and don't have enough experience to be telling him what to do, blah blah blah. In his last rant at me I actually had to pull out The Boss Voice (tm) and set him straight on pretty much everything, and tell him that if he doesn't like it then I can let the new company know that he will be leaving at the end of this month and to get on top of replacing him ASAP. I very much get the feeling that he thought he could bully me into keeping everything the same, despite it being out of my hands.

Oh, and then there is his bitch about us all needing to get our standard first aid certification. Just because the current company didn't require it, it doesn't mean that any other company won't require it. I explained that the new company is being very lenient in letting us get it after the take-over date, and that our current company really should have had us take the certification on their dime but didn't want to pay any more than they absolutely had to. At least I'm being nice enough to arrange for a group first aid class to happen here at the site so that we can all take part. I further explained to him that if he were to apply at any other security company here in town that he would have to have his standard first aid certification already in place, that our new employer is doing this as a special case.

It will be interesting to see how Old Dog is tomorrow morning when I see him because I'm pretty sure I'll be getting another earful. And if he starts on me tomorrow I still have the power to terminate his employment so he'd better watch himself very carefully.

I don't see him lasting all that long at all. Wow. I get change sucks, but I also realize nothing stays th same. It actually sounds like a good thing, overall, as they seem to be more on the ball, and efficient.

Comment

I've managed to work it so that everybody has had the opportunity to change companies as well.
      Kudos!

Well, look at it this way...Out of all the guards, you only seem to have ended up with one major exception/asshole. That's a pretty good ratio! There's always one bad apple. The new company is probably happy that you brought so many others aboard who ARE willing to do things their way, too
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
      X