This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not one of my better moments

This happened way back when I worked at Tim Hortons, almost two decades ago (eek) and is one of those things that I remember over and over with embarrassment. There's been a few threads on CS lately about people feeling like they didn't handle a situation perfectly, so hopefully it will make you all feel better about your work, cause at least you didn't do this:

I was working supervising the afternoon shift, there was myself, two young girls (16 years old maybe) on counter, and a counter/baker worker in the store. A strange man (small small towns, know everybody for miles kind of place) came in, wearing a casual business suit (severely overdressed for the farm country I was living in), ordered a small coffee, got a receipt and sat down at a table. He was sitting for about twenty minutes, watching us work, watching the customers, writing the odd note in the book he had with him.

After a while he was starting to sketch me out, it seemed like he was watching us work pretty intently, and the two girls I was working with were both cute, young and naive, it was starting to seem like it could become a dangerous situation. Just then police pulled in through drive-through and when they came up to the window I asked if they were busy or had time to do me a favour and come in. I explained about the guy watching us and giving me bad vibes, I stated that he probably just had writers block or something, but that he also could be writing the kidnappers guide to our county, and could they maybe chat with him and see what was up. No problem.

The police come in, order another coffee and wander to his table "Hey, how's it going tonight?" and end up sitting down with him. I'm busy serving so don't notice most of the conversation, but about ten minutes later one of the officers comes over and tells me it's all cool, he's harmless and leaving soon anyways, and they leave. Strange man continues to nurse small coffee, stare at working and write in his notepad.

Another ten minutes in he gets up and loads up his paperwork to leave (relief!) approaches the counter (fear!) hands me a piece of paper (confusion..) and asks me to give it to the owners (more fear!) and leaves (big sigh of relief). The paper wasn't folded or in an envelope so I read it as I took it to the office. He was from head office, doing a random inspection to make sure our franchise was up to standards, and it was our grade for the visit.

Hopefully you can all feel better knowing that whatever you did or didn't do at work today, you probably didn't get the police to harass the man who could get your boss shit-canned.
    Pain and suffering are inevitable...misery is optional.

The other side of that is You were vigilante and looking out for your Staff and customers. If they had decided your actions were unacceptable you would have had grounds to contest.

Sadly in this day and age everyone is second guessing themselves. I stick with the motto "Par Vigilenta Ego Sum Invicta"

Through Vigilance I am Unconquerable.

Comment

That, and you could always say that part of a Mystery Shopper's job is to remain inconspicuous... He failed.

Honestly, were I in such a position (as the shopper), NC, I'd offer you kudos for having the cops check in on a suspicious figure!
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

To me spotting a 'Mystery Shopper' was alot like spotting a cop driving an 'unmarked' police car.

"how can you tell that was a cop?"

"Well, they are driving a Crown Vic, with blackwall tires, a spotlight attached to the window, and a bubble gum machine sitting on the dashboard"

"How can you tell that was a Mystery Shopper"

"They asked really odd leading questions, (odder then normal), took notes of everything in the store, and typically didn't dress like our typical customers."
        Last edited by drunkenwildmage; 06-17-2016, 09:05 PM.
        Just sliding down the razor blade of life.

Comment

Quoth Crai View Post
          The other side of that is You were vigilante and looking out for your Staff and customers. If they had decided your actions were unacceptable you would have had grounds to contest.
          Exactly. I don't think you did anything wrong and I have done far worse things.
          "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

The guy should have dressed to fit in with the normal clientele, and had some excuse for writing in a book - for example, before coming in, stick the forms into the middle of a letter-size book of crossword puzzles (something that it's obvious he's going to be writing in), and casually put the book down on the counter while he's ordering and handling his cash, so the cashier can see he's got a puzzle book.
            Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Or bring a textbook and student-type notebook so he'd just look like he's doing homework (and yeah, even a middle-aged person could get away with that one, based on my own experience and a significant percentage of my recent classmates).
              "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

I think you were fine, and if you were my employee, and I the owner, you'd get bonus points for being vigilant, and having him checked out, especially since your employees were young and female. I don't see that you did anything wrong. He on the other hand, failed as a "mystery shopper"

Comment

Having been one of those,unfortunately some pubs and stores we have to go to are in the back of the boondocks.They know ALL their customers.Anyone who hasn't been seen before will immediately be obvious as a mystery shopper-in fact,some places,just by not being a regular,you're guaranteed a whole room full of people watching you eat and wondering who you are and what you're up to.
                  The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

"WHY on earth is his eating the mashed potatoes?! Who does he think he IS???!!!"

Comment

I didn't get in trouble, the only note on the report that might have been about the police was something like "franchise seems to have strong ties to community" which made me laugh a little. It was actually a pretty good score over all.

Even though it's one of those 'you probably did the right thing' I still look back on that one with embarrassment, I don't think I'm going to get over that one. Live and learn.
                      Pain and suffering are inevitable...misery is optional.

Comment

He's in Idaho...and not eating the mashed potatoes.That makes him suspicious....
                        The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

"You got a problem with taters, boy?"
                          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
                          X