Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not sure how it works in your area, but here, every private lot has someone's sign in it specifying exactly who (and only who) is allowed to tow.

Whoever's sign it is is the only one who's allowed to tow out of there, at least as far as illegal parking is concerned. (you break down you can call anyone ya likes)

If another company tows out of a lot for illegal parking, and they have no contract/sign to do so, the tow is invalid at best and must be refunded.

At worst, if they PURPOSELY towed out of there and could not have conceivably thought it okay to do so (Not an honest mistake from outdated signs/tenants lying) then they get fined for call jumping by the borough and may or may not be pulled out of business, probationary or permanently, up to the Borough.

Incidentally, if someone calls us to do a tire change, and another tow company hears about it over the radio or sees the person broke down and strongarms them into taking service from them instead, that's call jumping as well.

I get quite the guffaw on the inside when someone calls me up to tow someone out of a lot for reasons that aren't legal (don't have their current parking lease showing it's their space, have some kind of grudge with the car owner, etc) and I refuse to do it, and they threaten to call Other Guys Towing.

You aren't going to get far with that.
    - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
      Not sure how it works in your area, but here, every private lot has someone's sign in it specifying exactly who (and only who) is allowed to tow.
      We have those signs in Indianapolis, including at the entrance to my apartment complex. I don't know what official restrictions there might be, because I've never had a car towed for illegal parking, just for being non-functional. And even when I've had someone park in my rented spot without permission, that has never gone past the level of a courtesy officer who located the apartment they were visiting and who had no indoor voice.
      (you break down you can call anyone ya likes)
      One breakdown was in a mall parking lot that might have such a sign, but that topic didn't come up when calling for the tow.

Comment

In my complex, whoever owns a unit can get a car towed out of the stall assigned to that unit. So the renters have to get their landlords to do it.

I, however, own my unit. So I had the great pleasure of having a Mercedes towed out of my spot. And it was a pleasure indeed...

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
          Does this discussion mean that people who drive "Smart Cars" are well-endowed??
          A while back the Mini Cooper had a marketing campaign along those lines; a fake gameshow where a female contestant had to guess the car a man drove by looking at his *cough* attributes. Cue little curtains being opened in such a way that it was obvious what was being seen without anything actually being seen (neat bit of camera-work, that). As each man's attributes were seen (to the appropriate soundtrack from the audience) there were guesses that he drove various fancy cars, until the last one where the little curtains whisked aside to the sounds of gasps then shocked silence. Woman guesses the he drives a mini, man smirks, end of advert.

Needless to say this advert went out after the watershed!
          "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Is this the time to mention that my MINI Cooper is the largest (and most powerful!) car that I've ever owned?
            “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
            One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
            The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
              I always feel a knee-jerk reaction to defend big trucks, because my dad had one (F-350 four door, not lifted) for many years, and he's not an idiot. We just went camping a lot, with 4-6 people, pulling a big trailer. But I guess I have to realize that he's in the minority among big truck drivers. He didn't have a Dodge, though. Always bought Ford. Now that we don't do big camping trips he just has an old F-150.
              I think the problem is the "lifted", or "jacked up" ones. What someone referred to previously as a "bro dozer". And if you're actually using it for stuff like your dad was, I don't see a problem.

Before I got married, and up until the time my son was born, I actually had a full-size F-150 (2 year lease), "single" cab, with a 5-speed manual.

If I'm not mistaken, these days most pickups are the "extended cab" or "crew cab" variety, anyway.

I don't need, nor want, a ginormous truck. I wish they got better gas mileage, though, because I think instead of getting my Honda Accord when I did, I would have gotten something like a Toyota Tacoma Crew Cab. That's a big enough pickup for me.

Truck advertising in general is pretty interesting. I know a lot of people use them for the utility part (hauling stuff, towing, etc.). But if I were going to buy another truck, I don't think those particular things would appeal to me -- right now.
              Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

If I had the money, I'd have a big pickup. But I don't, so I drive a 1995 Geo Metro which has a lot of things in its favor, the largest of which is that it's long paid for.

Years ago I drove a 1979 Pinto. I had to go to some office on the Air Force base where I worked, so I did so and parked my car. When I came out there was a yellow 280-Z parked about six inches away from my passenger-side door. The First Lieutenant who owned the car was standing glaring at my car, hands on hips. He told me, "You'd better be careful backing up." I looked pointedly at how he was illegally parked not to mention partially in my space, then got in and backed out straight, and as I drove off I left him standing there with a bewildered look on his face. Do not mess with a red head, even if she's driving a Pinto.
                Last edited by Sparklyturtle; 08-17-2016, 12:48 AM.

Comment

I LOOOOOVE big trucks. It is possible to own a big truck and not be an asshole. I drove a 1994 Silverado for years, till my sister decided that she wanted it. It was my dads, so he gave it to her. Its lowered, so I was one of those people that couldnt just whip into a parking space. That thing was like trying to park an aircraft carrier.

mjr, I have a 1999 Nissan Frontier extended cab. Its out of commission at the moment, but its the perfect size for when you want to haul something, but dont feel the need to acquire a huge pickup.

I now have a lifted Toyota 4Runner. This thing gets horrible gas mileage. I miss the Silverado.

Sparklyturtle, my moms first car was a 79 Pinto! I would have loved to have seen that Lieutenant's face!

Comment

Quoth drunkenwildmage View Post
                    Based on this discussion, the guy driving the 15 - 20 year old Honda Accord with a dented up body is probably supporting a anaconda.
                    What about a 20 year old Hyundai Elantra?

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
                    I always feel a knee-jerk reaction to defend big trucks, because my dad had one (F-350 four door, not lifted) for many years, and he's not an idiot. We just went camping a lot, with 4-6 people, pulling a big trailer.
                    Actually, your dad didn't have a big truck, or pull a big trailer. The F-350 is a small truck, and doesn't even offer the accessories that would allow it to get a big trailer moving.

Quoth Nunavut Pants View Post
                    But I like Austins! Especially Austin-Healys!
                    What about Austin Powers, or Steve Austin (depending on your generation, either the critically-injured astronaut from the TV show, or the wrestler)?
                    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                      What about Austin Powers, or Steve Austin (depending on your generation, either the critically-injured astronaut from the TV show, or the wrestler)?
                      Side note: Steve Austin, the wrestler, was sometimes referred to as the "Bionic Redneck"...
                      Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

My plaything is a 2004 F350 Diesel 6.0 (bulletproofed) which doesn't get too much use since I commute in a company ride.

Honor & kindness dictates I must park furthest away from the store as to not be an asshole. It is larger than most standard parking spaces. I do see plenty of honorable large vehicle drivers, but because they are cool they don't get noticed.
                        "Announcing your intentions is a good way to hear God laugh." Al Swearingen (Deadwood)

Comment

I had a guy apologize to me at the gas pump today for taking up "so much space" on his side of the filling aisle with a Ford F-350 Dually... when he wasn't, I didn't even have to fold in my mirrors....

It's like, the ones who SHOULD be apologizing don't, and the ones who don't need to vociferously do....
                          - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

I had a guy apologize to me at the gas pump today for taking up "so much space" on his side of the filling aisle with a Ford F-350 Dually... when he wasn't, I didn't even have to fold in my mirrors....

It's like, the ones who SHOULD be apologizing don't, and the ones who don't need to vociferously do....
                            You've just summed up my entire work life Arga. I get people apologizing profusely for wanting an extra pillow or blanket (not a problem at all) or are really, really sorry for asking for help because their toilet won't flush (for $200 a night, that is NOT OK, and I WILL get it fixed even if I have to call a plumber at 3am).

However, those who have to have a certain kind of light bulb put in their rooms before they arrive (real request for tomorrow, we are honoring it) are SHOCKED that clean towels are kept in a laundry hamper by the pool (a real complaint posted on TripAdvisor) or were offended at how "rude" we were (for telling them to get out from behind the desk and stop rooting through staff member's personal possessions or for telling their group to stop screaming on the patio at 4 in the morning) never say they're sorry for anything.
                            Last edited by WishfulSpirit; 08-22-2016, 06:02 AM.
                            "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

Quoth xxscooterxx View Post

And who doesnt like an Austin-Healy!
                              I say this as a totally not a car person but *raises hand*.

Honestly the car in that picture looks ugly and uncomfortable to me.

Comment

Quoth Sliceanddice View Post
                                I say this as a totally not a car person but *raises hand*.

Honestly the car in that picture looks ugly and uncomfortable to me.
                                How can any car painted British racing green be ugly?

As for uncomfortable, I never make that judgement until I have sat in it. I have been surprised by the comfort levels of cars many times, and not always pleasantly.
                                "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Working...
                                X