Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So Glad I Don't Have Children (language)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So Glad I Don't Have Children (language)

Every single day at my job I thank my lucky stars that I don't have, nor ever will have, children. I work PRETTY MUCH at a toy store. I work usually in the toy store section of a larger store that is a tourist destination in a small town. So I see lots and lots and lots of old people and children. And honestly I can't tell you which one I dislike more. But since I initially was going to make this post about kids, I'll stick to that theme.

The amount of times a mother will let go of a stroller and then turn away and do something unrelated and COMPLETELY IGNORE THE ENTIRE STROLLER is beyond my comprehension. Our store is very slightly slanted. The entire store. The whole damn thing. You put something with wheels on ANY PART of our store's floor and it will roll in ONE DIRECTION ONLY. This is why, when children put the "magic come-back rollers" on the floor to test them out, they don't work. Surprise. They're not broken, the building is. So when this lady's baby in a stroller started rolling directly toward the stairs that go down to the bottom floor of the building--did she notice? At all? Did she even notice when my CW had STOPPED the stroller from rolling toward the stairs? Did she even notice the one, two, three, FOUR TIMES he tried to get her attention?

Good frickin' grief, lemme tell ya.

The signs clearly say "Do not place toys on the floor" Why they say that is because we have the original hardwood flooring from the 1800s. It's half because we don't want people to step on toys left on the floor and half because the oil from the floor (routine floor oilings, you know the drill) will destroy many toys that are left on the floor and will also stain your child's nice clothes. FOREVER. DONE. NO MORE NICE SUNDAY DRESS. GET YOUR CHILD OFF THE FLOOR.

On a related note: Where is it ever okay to have your toddler wandering around without shoes on? This is a novelty shop. We have lots and lots and lots of glass items with an original hardwood floor with lots and lots and lots of cracks to wedge those glass pieces into. Is it so hard to logically make the assumption that perhaps one day little Timmy's gonna slice the shit out of his widdle toesies because of your obvious idiocy and inability to read the sign on the door that says "no bare feet?"

For the love of all that is holy.

We have THREE major attractions in the toy section of the store. One is a mechanical horse that's been there for God-knows-how-long. The kids who ride that thing have this perverse need to try to buck AGAINST it. Lemme tell you. When you've been working there for a year or so, you learn to tell just from the sound of her when she's straining. She is LOUD and when your ten year old is 200 pounds or is trying their hardest to break her, she can't handle it. Get the fuck off the horse.

The second is a popcorn machine clearly made in the 40s or 50s. We had it "fixed" and sent back to us the other day but the mechanics were in way over their heads and returned it broken despite claiming they fixed it. The baker who comes in actually got it to work but since it still only works 50% of the time, we've put an OUT OF ORDER sign on it. You would think someone murdered children and displayed them in the front window. It's a goddamn crisis.

At least the friggin 1916 weight and fortune machine works still.

Ahem. Teach your children to put things back where they belong. It's not funny, it's not "job security," it's fucking annoying as shit and we have over 75,000 items. You think I wanna put all those back? No. Don't. Move. My. Shit. AND GET YOUR GRIMEY HANDS OUT OF MY CANDY JARS.

I would never be able to have children. Never. Those who do, who raise them right: You're saints. The lot of you.

We had an adorable little kid literally running rings around the lobby while the parents had breakfast and ignored him. Fortunately my boss has told us we have full authority to tell the kid to knock that shit off before they get hurt. If they ignore warning signs in your fine establishment, they deserve what they get. Offer to call EMS if needed but your responsibility ends there.
    "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

Just working at the C-Store is bad enough. I can't imagine the amount of fits that get thrown in a store like yours, Gaki. Also, why do parents think it's fine and dandy to let their little angelkins run around, no supervision at all, at a very, very young age? I will never understand it!
      "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

Well BrenDAnn, for so many parents Toy Store=Free Daycare
        I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
        -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

I don't hate kids, but the last idiot who thought cashier = babysitter, was not happy with my answer -- I don't babysit kids if the parents are on the premises, and if they parents are gone, then charge way more than my hourly pay to do so. Or as my godson told his baby's mother, "if you want Aunt Jude to babysit, you need to give her $40 and go away for 2 hours".
          Last edited by judecat; 08-17-2016, 06:25 PM. Reason: added a sentence

Comment

I had previously posted a few tales from the Haus of Maus, of parents who just abandoned their kids, but not surprisingly we had many others who just did a crap job of watching them (to be fair, it was a distraction-rich environment for parents and children alike.) (But still, they are YOUR KIDS, people).

Most of the time I worked in a shop that (at that time) sold a lot of fantasy and medieval themed merchandise. A lot of it was pretty expensive. Some of it was cheap and sold in massive quantities, like sandcastles (yes, made of sand mixed with some kind of glue) that were extremely fragile and heavy. They were displayed in an octagonal stand in the middle of the room, with the cheapest ones on the bottom shelf in easy grasping range of the kids. Somehow these castles just whispered to little children "You really should use me to whack your brother/sister on the head/hand/groin." Usually the resulting screams were enough to get someone's attention but every now and then we'd find one with stains on it that looked suspiciously like blood. .. they finally did put those up on a shelf where they weren't so easily reached, but the sales plummeted so they put them back on the riser. Oddly enough, very few parents - even those whose offspring were howling in pain - really complained about having them in such easy reach.

The wizard figurines on the next shelving unit over had a different siren song. "See these pretty crystal balls we're all holding? How many of these can you snap off and stuff in your pockets?" (Talk about an awkward conversation to have with parents: Yes, your darling child has our merchandise in his grimy little pocket/her pretty little purse. Yes, we want it back; we glue the crystals back on. No, she did not find those half-dozen crystals rolling around on the floor; I watched her/him break them off.)
            Last edited by wordgirl; 08-17-2016, 10:21 PM.

Comment

Why are they distracted? I can answer that in two words: Cell phone.

I know people have been acting like idiots for many, many years, but I swear it's gotten worse since the advent of portable phones.
              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth BrenDAnn View Post
                Just working at the C-Store is bad enough. I can't imagine the amount of fits that get thrown in a store like yours, Gaki. Also, why do parents think it's fine and dandy to let their little angelkins run around, no supervision at all, at a very, very young age? I will never understand it!
                We get those parents in the library, only our equivalent is parents letting their kids throw magnets, blocks, and puzzles pieces around. (and tear books off the shelves)

Comment

Quoth KellyHabersham View Post
                  We get those parents in the library, only our equivalent is parents letting their kids throw magnets, blocks, and puzzles pieces around. (and tear books off the shelves)
                  My local librarian told me this one a few years back. A bunch of little monsters went around behind the main desk and took down a number of magnetic paper holders off their notes board. A number of them ended up SHOVED them into the A: drive of some of the library's computers.

I don't think they caught any of them so no reimbursement, but the staff caught ten kinds of flak because the computers were down for quite a while...

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                    Why are they distracted? I can answer that in two words: Cell phone.

I know people have been acting like idiots for many, many years, but I swear it's gotten worse since the advent of portable phones.
                    You're right about that. I grew up in the 1960s, and with my mother it was God help us if we wandered off or made a mess in a store, because we'd been taught better than that. And if we broke anything in a store that my parents had to pay for, they'd pay for it, then we'd have to work it off. We even managed to stay in sight of our parents and be reasonably well behaved in Disneyland, although by the time we first went there us two older sibs were teenagers.

And if we talked back to our parents the way I've heard kids talking back to their parents in recent years, we'd have died young. I don't know how my nephew manages to be a teacher without losing his mind - then again, he's 6'5" and weighs 280 and puts up with no nonsense from his students.

Comment

Quoth Sparklyturtle View Post
                      I grew up in the 1960s, and with my mother it was God help us if we wandered off or made a mess in a store, because we'd been taught better than that. And if we broke anything in a store that my parents had to pay for, they'd pay for it, then we'd have to work it off.
                      Yes, but you grew up and appreciated the way your parents raised you, at least in this respect. I know a lot of "no punishment, let kids be kids" folks think their own parents were too strict and that's their reasoning to let their kids run wild. I've never wanted kids... Sometimes I think about babies and kids and my brain just says "why?" So I'm happy that other people are continuing the human race.

I couldn't work in a toy store or anyplace like a petting zoo or theme park. Maybe if I was on some serious tranquilizers. I could barely stand to be in the barns at the fair this week. So many kids! Most were good, but the freaking signs say not to touch the animals in these barns. (There is a whole area with animals which CAN be touched.) I saw a parent reach through to pet a goat, and then actually pull her toddler's hand into the pen to MAKE him pet it. *sigh* I wish it wasn't so hot, or I'd be drinking something alcoholic.
                      Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Oh but it's sooooooooooooooooooooo cute when little Susie is running around shrieking, throwing balls around and then playing with the windchime rack. It's sooooooooooooooooooooo cute

Comment

Quoth drjonah View Post
                          Oh but it's sooooooooooooooooooooo cute when little Susie is running around shrieking, throwing balls around and then playing with the windchime rack. It's sooooooooooooooooooooo cute
                          Oh my god, the windchime rack. *flashbacks* aaaauuuuugggghhhh

Comment

No, cute is when they're toddling along holding mommy or daddy's hand and babbling contentedly like Boo in Monster's Inc. Making noise and running wild is NOT cute, no matter how chubby the cheeks or big the eyes on said child may be. IMHO of course. And none of them is cuter than my dog.
                            "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

Now, I protest that. Screaming, bratty kids can become instantly more cute - when they've walked out the door and are going away from the toy store.
                              Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Working...
                              X