This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Because you don't own the house

A home equity loan is a loan secured by the equity un-claimed by any first mortgage you might have on a house that you already own and reside in.

We occasionally get those people who try to get a home equity loan on a house they own but do not reside in. We occasionally get those people who try to get a home equity loan on a house they are purchasing. I've got the explanations down pat for explaining that they will have to get a 1st mortgage product, as a home equity loan cannot work in these circumstances. But at least these are cases where a loan is possible on the property, just not the type of home loan that I do.

This guy... wants to do a home equity loan on his girlfriend's house. Her name is the only name on the deed. He lives there, so feels that he should be able to get a loan using her house "without bothering her about it".

Um.... no.

Actually, let me re-phrase that: NO!

Seriously?

Does he not realize what would happen if he defaulted on that loan? Or perhaps not care?
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I'm voting not care, afterall, it isn't his house.
      - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

I'm thinking, he knows the relationship isn't going to last, and he's looking to get something out of it.
        Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
        OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
        she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
        Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

Quoth bankworking View Post
          This guy... wants to do a home equity loan on his girlfriend's house. Her name is the only name on the deed. He lives there, so feels that he should be able to get a loan using her house "without bothering her about it".

Um.... no.

Actually, let me re-phrase that: NO!

Seriously?
          I really hope you have some loophole in privacy regulations that would allow you to let the actual owner of the house know what's going on. I strongly suspect that this bozo will keep trying until he gets a sufficiently unscrupulous lender.
          "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Quoth Seanette View Post
            I really hope you have some loophole in privacy regulations that would allow you to let the actual owner of the house know what's going on. I strongly suspect that this bozo will keep trying until he gets a sufficiently unscrupulous lender.
            I don't think a lender like that exists, honestly.

Comment

I hope for the sake of the homeowner who would be better off single that you're right.
              "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

I'm thinking the relationship between this bozo and his girlfriend is not based at all on love. I'm betting he's soaking her for every dime he can, and when the well runs dry, he'll disappear.

Comment

I think CyberLurch hit it on the head...

Comment

Certainly the guy expecting to get a loan against the value of his GF's house is an idiot.

But I personally did not know that residence in a house you want a loan against was a requirement. Why can't you get an HEL against, say, a rental property?

Comment

Agreed....and what other abuse is going on here?
                      I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                      -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth Seanette View Post
                        Unless he finds a lender who is willing to forge the owner's signature, he's stuck - without her sig, there's no lein, and the bank will never get a dime if he defaults (which is almost certainly the plan). And forging that kind of thing will get caught sooner or later.
                        Life: Reality TV for deities. - dalesys

Comment

Quoth Seanette View Post
                          It's not actually possible. A home loan still requires a mortgage to be recorded with the appropriate county, with the signatures of ALL owners (and spouse's of all owners) notarized on the form. You miss a signature, you got an invalid mortgage, and your home-secured loan is now a really cheap unsecured loan.

If his name was on the deed, I could do the loan in his name alone, but she'd still have to sign the mortgage part to agree to it.

Comment

Quoth sirwired View Post
                            Certainly the guy expecting to get a loan against the value of his GF's house is an idiot.

But I personally did not know that residence in a house you want a loan against was a requirement. Why can't you get an HEL against, say, a rental property?
                            You can get a mortgage, just not a home equity loan. A rental is an investment property, so needs an investment mortgage. It's higher risk, cause you don't have as much of a personal interest. Home equity loans are already a second place lien on a property, so if you default, the 1st mortgage gets paid first and the home equity gets the leftovers...if any. So they aren't going to be offered for anything that doesn't have your primary interest in repaying. A home equity is generally betting on you NOT defaulting.

Comment

Quoth bankworking View Post
                              It's not actually possible. A home loan still requires a mortgage to be recorded with the appropriate county, with the signatures of ALL owners (and spouse's of all owners) notarized on the form. You miss a signature, you got an invalid mortgage, and your home-secured loan is now a really cheap unsecured loan.

If his name was on the deed, I could do the loan in his name alone, but she'd still have to sign the mortgage part to agree to it.
                              Thanks for the info. If I'm reading this straight (given the Nyquil I took last night, could be iffy), the actual owner of the house would have to sign in front of a witness who would hopefully notice evidence of duress? I'm wondering if this bozo's determined enough to milk out that money that he'd try forcing her to sign or switching in an accomplice in place of the real homeowner. At least the requirement for a witness would rule out "take paperwork home for her to sign, do it himself without even telling her, bring it back 'signed'" stunts.

Comment

Working...
                              X