This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth ShinyGreenApple View Post

Rock monsters. Again, WHAT THE HELL? Can we move the plot along, please? We saw this same scenario in Fellowship of the Ring, only it was not stupid.

Rock monsters. You mean the 3 Trolls that are a fairly *major* part of The Hobbit [in that they get the 3 magic weapons that figure later] and is really the first real' Bilbo does his job as Burglar' scene?

If he had left out the 3 trolls, fans from the world around would track him down and skin him alive ...
    EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

No no, I'm talking about when they were all on the side of that mountain during a thunderstorm, and we find out that NO! It's a thunder battle, and these giant freaking rock monsters are duking it out like Tyson vs. Holyfield.

The troll scene was done quite nicely. I just wish I knew where rock 'em sock 'em rock monsters came from.
      The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.

Comment

They actually came from the book. They are mentioned in the scene in the Misty Mountains during the storm and one of the reasons the dwarves and Bilbo seek cover in the cave in the book as well.

Comment

Quoth Barracuda View Post
          They actually came from the book. They are mentioned in the scene in the Misty Mountains during the storm and one of the reasons the dwarves and Bilbo seek cover in the cave in the book as well.
          Damn, beat me to it!
          EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Hmm, guess it's been a while since I read the book, I don't remember that. Regardless, I still hold the opinion that it looked really dumb and could have been omitted Give it the Tom Bombadil treatment, so to speak.
            The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.

Comment

Hmm, guess it's been a while since I read the book, I don't remember that. Regardless, I still hold the opinion that it looked really dumb and could have been omitted Give it the Tom Bombadil treatment, so to speak.
              You have to remember that this is one book that was expanded to a trilogy of movies. There's a fair bit of stuff that was originally a couple of sentences long expanded out to several minutes. Fights mainly. Still didn't hurt the pacing too much though.
              I AM the evil bastard!
              A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Quoth Sapphire Silk View Post
                no way he would have been in Mirkwood.
                I still hold the opinion that it looked really dumb and could have been omitted Give it the Tom Bombadil treatment, so to speak.
                Sapphire -- SGA beat me to it -- and also said exactly what I was thinking The way Radagast came across in the movie was indeed jarjarring

PS side note -- Anyone else notice that Saruman mentioned the word Istari during his little diatribe? It was just before his voice faded out as Gandalf's attention wandered off and he began "speaking" with Galadriel.

PPS -- Is it just me or was her tiara crooked in every other shot during that scene?
                Last edited by EricKei; 01-03-2013, 04:45 PM.
                "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                  Okay, I give up. Which combination were we hoping for ten years ago?
                  Tom Baker was offered a role in "Lord of the Rings" back in the day. He turned it down because he didn't want to spend the next fifteen months away from home in New Zealand, but it led to rumors - neither confirmed nor denied - that he was up for Gandalf.

That plus his brief but crucial role in the otherwise execrable "Dungeons and Dragons" movie in 2000 as Elven King Halvarth had a lot of Doctor Who fans eagerly reading the trade mags all year long.

Comment

I didn't see 3d but i saw the regular version of it the day it came out and let me tell you it was one helluva great movie. the graphics were awesome and the creatures as well. I saw the cartoon version as well and that wasn't too bad. Lets just say that the creatures looked like they actually do exist the way it was done. I'd go see it again in a heartbeat and believe you me, it is tempting
                    NEVER underestimate the stupidity of the customer

Comment

Quoth Ben_Who View Post
                      That plus his brief but crucial role in the otherwise execrable "Dungeons and Dragons" movie in 2000 as Elven King Halvarth had a lot of Doctor Who fans eagerly reading the trade mags all year long.
                      Awww, I remember that film!! I saw it in the cinema and thought it was pretty good, of course this was before I really knew what Dungeons and Dragons really was...

*inches towards the DVD* I like watching it now just to see Jeremy Irons as the Large Ham. Him or his eyebrows were the best actor in the film. It would be an okay mediocre fantasy movie or pisstake, if only it didn't mince up several D&D sourcebooks to make the scripts.

And now back to an actually good movie that's to be taken relatively seriously.
                      "...Muhuh? *blink-blink* >_O *roll over* ZZZzzz......"

Comment

Saw the film on Monday. Honestly enjoyed it, though I found it to be a bit overly long in places.

It didn't change my mind about there being no need to have it split over three movies, let's just say that.

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                          PS side note -- Anyone else notice that Saruman mentioned the word Istari during his little diatribe? It was just before his voice faded out as Gandalf's attention wandered off and he began "speaking" with Galadriel.

PPS -- Is it just me or was her tiara crooked in every other shot during that scene?
                          I missed the bit with the tiara; I'll have to look for it next time I see it.

I did catch the Istari. Jackson mined a lot of Tolkien's other works to add the background for what was going on in the Hobbit. Ironically, a lot of that backstory is alluded to in the Hobbit but the details don't come out until the LOTR.

In this case, the Hobbit is being used to explain some things in the LOTR.
                          They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Working...
                          X