This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Immortal1982 View Post
    The problem is there may not be unedited versions. Licensing music and a few other rights considerations change things. One of the many reasons we would never see shows like the real world on dvd is the music. I know charmed was mentioned upthread as having the theme music changed. they (meaning WB or whoever produces it) may not have the rights for the music for streaming or home media release.
    I can understand it for old series (when WKRP was first broadcast, there was no such thing as series packaged for the home video market, or streaming media), but for current series (where the producers KNOW that these other markets are going to be part of the income stream for the show), there's no excuse. Rights holder for song "A" will only license for broadcast, not home video or streaming? No problem - use song "B" by lesser known group which IS willing to license for all 3 markets instead. Better yet - instead of only using songs that they can license for all 3 listed markets, only use songs they can license for "broadcast and all subsequent releases, including but not limited to home video and streaming".
    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

I'll give a good example for rights. The anime Eden of the East was broadcast and released in japan with a theme song by the rock group Oasis. When it was licensed (in the us by Funimation) it would cost them an extreme amount of money to license the song. That applies to all territories.as there are rules in place for the music. In this case they had to use another song.

Tl;dr. Its not as cut and dry. Especially with foreign, streaming, etc.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
        One thing that Netflix *should* be able to do (don't see how this could be illegal on their part, but IANAL and I don't play one on TV either) is list WHICH version of a movie/TV series they are renting. Using Star Wars as an example, they could tell people it's the:

- Original version first released in theatres
        - Edited for TV version of that
        - Re-release from when Phantom Menace was in theatres (this is the one with the cheesy new scene of Jabba confronting Han, but Han's part in this scene is re-using his footage from another scene, stormtroopers riding CGI lizards, and the anti-canon bit with Greedo shooting first).

For "WKRP in Cincinati", they could include a reminder that the distributor of the DVDs they are using was unable to obtain rights to the original songs used when the series was in first-run broadcast, and therefore substituted alternate music.
        That would be nice, I will say that if you care that much about it (I do some times) you can generally check by comparing play times of various releases. An example would be Ichi the Killer. The full version has an official run time of 129 mins (from IMDB), the version Netflix has? 129 mins

Comment

music liscences are also why we will (probably) never see the last 2 seasons of the original Muppet Show on DVD/BluRay. they freely admit there are edits in the first 3 seasons wher song liscensing is an issue.
          Lister: This is Crazy. Why are we talking about going to bed with Wilma Flintstone?
          Cat: You're right. We're Nuts! This is an insane conversation....
          Lister: She'll never leave Fred and we know it.

Comment

Working...
          X