Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Always nice to learn you could inherit a disease.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Always nice to learn you could inherit a disease.

Visited my parents in my home state this past week. Mom was hold her right hand always partially closed; I thought it was her arthritis acting up. She told me she was just diagnosed with 'Dupuytren's Contracture' also known as 'Viking Hand', 'Viking Curse' or 'Celtic Hand'. It strikes mostly males of Scandinavian and Northern European Descent. There is European lineage from both sides of my family from all countries with ties to the disease. I've noticed recently that my right hand stays curled much more than my left, but always figured it's because the muscles are tighter from being used predominately. I hope that's the case. Even though it's a inconvenient but not painful condition, I can't imagine losing the use of one or both hands. Supposedly it hits after your 40's. I really don't want this; just one more thing to worry about in my life!
    "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

You probably should be evaluated by a physician if you've noted a change.

There are treatment options.
    They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

If it is muscle tightness, there are exercises which you can do - and sports you can do (such as contact juggling) - which will help keep the muscles stretched and flexible.

But I second Sapphire: see a doctor.
      Seshat's self-help guide:
      1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
      2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
      3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
      4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

I *think* it is a tendon thing, not a muscle thing.

Anyhow, there are surgical and non-surgical treatment options.

As with any kind of contracture, better to get/start treatment early.
        Don't wanna; not gonna.

Comment

Working...
        X