Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So, my coworker is celebrating world pneumonia day a bit early.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, my coworker is celebrating world pneumonia day a bit early.

Yeaaaa.... I got sent out to New Mexico to help the crew we have had out here for the last year just for a week, and probably not even that. The Monday I'm traveling from San Antonio to Deming NM the crew chief falls ill, enough that he has to call in. This is not a normal thing when you are on the road for work. Usually you just suffer through it and spread it to the other guys you work with and everyone is miserable for a couple of weeks. Nope crew chief is down and out for a couple of days. Wednesday he starts coughing up blood. Now shit is serious he goes into the local hospital and is diagnosed with pneumonia. Wonderful. They get him stable and he seems to be doing better, ya know escept for expelling blood from his lungs still. Come Sunday and the coworker that has gone everyday to the hospital to see him and keep him up to date on what we are doing tells me that he's been transferred to a Hospital in Las Crueces because he's still coughing up blood. So no biggie, he's at a bigger hospital with better facilities to take care of him all is good right? Nope. This morning we get a call from our project manager saying that crew chief has fallen into a coma! WTF!! Turns out that crew chief's family called the shop and told them. Shop calls myself and other coworker to take off to Cruces this morning and find out exactly what is going on. Turns out the coma is on purpose. Somebody forgot to mention that in the inital update this morning. So yea crew chief is stable and on ventilation letting his lungs heal up a bit and the nurse tells us that he should be out by the end of the week.

That's pretty heavy.

Seriously, I understand they're under some stress, but who phrases something like 'induced coma' as 'fell into a coma?' Hope not too many were freaked out before you got the facts straight.

Comment

Ouch! I think "heavy" is an understatement. Prayers are heading that way.
      Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
      Save the Ales!
      Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Yea, I think I was possibly the most freaked out. The guy is a good guy to work with and it would be a shame to lose him. Will update y'all when I get one too.

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post

That's pretty heavy.

Seriously, I understand they're under some stress, but who phrases something like 'induced coma' as 'fell into a coma?'
          The same kind of person who uses the phrase "non-responsive" to her sister who is a nurse when what they meant is "not wanting to talk to me!" I don't remember what had happened, but it concerned their father who was very ill and the end was expected "soon."
          If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

I'm sorry. I'm glad he's been moved to a facility that can give him more intensive care. Keep us updated please.

Comment

Holy Crap!

Good thoughts sent your co-worker's way on a speedy recovery.
              "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

So, update for today. As of yesterday crew chief was out of the coma but still under sedation and still on ventilation but down from 100% O2 to 90% and is somewhat responsive. His family made it up here from the Rio Grande valley safely as well. He is going to be on ventilation for the next 4-5 days though.

Comment

Quoth xx_wolfie_xx View Post
                  So, update for today. As of yesterday crew chief was out of the coma but still under sedation and still on ventilation but down from 100% O2 to 90% and is somewhat responsive. His family made it up here from the Rio Grande valley safely as well. He is going to be on ventilation for the next 4-5 days though.
                  You have to be weaned off mechanical ventilation. Slow but sure is the way to go.
                  They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Yikes!! Here's hoping he continues to improve

Comment

Working...
                    X