No announcement yet.

Random Thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There was an unmarked black helicopter circling low in our neighborhood for a good two hours. We thought it was covering a protest or something over in the medical area, but it hovered damn near directly over our building for a good while. Not news, not cops and not medivac (MV wouldn't be hovering). Wonder if that could be related to the (we hope) fireworks that were going off in the neighborhood for the last few nights? WTF did it come from and who does it belong to?
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

• Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
      WTF did it come from and who does it belong to?
      Have you tried flightradar24.com ? Helicopters doesn't file a flightplan, so no destination, but you can usually see to whom it belongs.
      Too late now I guess, but next time.

Comment

• Two kinds of respect:

1) "I want your respect" = "I want to be treated like I'm your equal"

2) "I want your respect" = "I want you to treat me like I'm your boss/superior"

One is right, one is wrong.

Problem is that respect means different things to different people, in different situations, and it keeps changing.
        "Kamala the Ugandan Giant" 1950-2020 • "Bullet" Bob Armstrong 1939-2020 • "Road Warrior Animal" 1960-2020 • "Zeus" Tiny Lister Jr. 1958-2020 • "Hacksaw" Butch Reed 1954-2021 • "New Jack" Jerome Young 1963-2021 • "Mr. Wonderful" Paul Orndorff 1949-2021 • "Beautiful" Bobby Eaton 1958-2021 • Daffney 1975-2021

Comment

• Quoth El Pollo Guerrera View Post
          Problem is that respect means different things to different people, in different situations, and it keeps changing.
          Yup. And if you aren't careful, people will respect you like they'd respect a wasp or a rattlesnake.

Comment

• Made doughnuts with the kids today. At least, they resembled doughnuts They tasted OK. I won't be giving Krispy Kreme a run for their money anytime soon though.
            https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

• Since 2020 started, I've really counted myself lucky so far. I've got a steady job, a roof over my head, food in my fridge, some family close enough to me, I'm not in debt of any kind, and can pay my monthly bills on time with one job. I may not be money rich, but I'm comfortable and live in a place where I can take a beach day if I wanted to or walk onto my deck and check on my small garden there.

It's really the small things that make life rich for me.
              Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

• I'm resisting the temptation to comment either on AK's 'small garden' or AK's circular jammy sticky kids that resemble doughnuts
                The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

• I uploaded an ebook manuscript to KDP and it was all correct...the first time!

And the paperback creation is going really well too.

Am I...getting good at this?

Comment

• Quoth Kit-Ginevra View Post
                    I'm resisting the temptation to comment either on AK's 'small garden' or AK's circular jammy sticky kids that resemble doughnuts
                    Hey now!

I did pick a yellow squash earlier today, got a few peppers growing and the tomato plant is blooming. Fingers crossed that the green onions continue to grow as planned.
                    Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

• Green Onions doing nicely
                      The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

• Well, I had a somewhat awkward moment with a friend the other day.
                        Both of us are fans of the adorable pink puffball known as Kirby, him more than me.

I get wind of a website that's selling Kirby-themed jewellery and send him the link, joking that he could buy one for his girlfriend. Note that the website is in Japanese and both of us have very limited grasp of said language.

He comments that the "bracelets" look cool and how he'd likely get one for his sister. After a while however, he realises that in actual fact, they're rings, and comments on this.

I take a closer look, realise that there's only the same 3-4 designs on the page, but they're in different metals (yellow gold, rose gold, platinum(!) and white gold) and then realise "Hey wait a second, the page also contains a ring pillow shaped like the warp star..."

Turns out I'd accidentally linked him to a website selling Kirby-themed wedding rings. Those 3-4 designs? Engagement ring, wedding ring, eternity ring and the men's wedding band.

Thankfully he saw the funny side, as did my SO when I showed him later (he also pointed out that I should've just used Google translate)

Comment

• I like this wearing masks in public thing. No one can see my resting bitch face.

Comment

• Quoth AnaKhouri View Post
                            I like this wearing masks in public thing. No one can see my resting bitch face.
                            You and me both! A former coworker and I were once told by an editor that we both always looked angry. I don't think my resting face looked angry and I know the coworker's didn't.

But the editor was nicknamed "Mr. Huggy" and believe me, it wasn't an expression of affection ... the guy was so smarmy you could get diabetes just hanging around him for any length of time. He felt everybody should go around with the type of wide toothy grin that suggests either you've ingested something interesting -- or you're morphing into Hannibal Lecter.

Okay, that was my sarcasm speaking. But you get the idea.
                            Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
                            ~ Mr Hero

Comment

• My grandboss has what a co-worker describes as "resting I-will-kill-you-in-your-sleep face". She actually does seem to be mellowing out a little, lately. She actually returns smiles fairly reliably.
                              "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

• Quoth Pixelated View Post
                                He felt everybody should go around with the type of wide toothy grin that suggests either you've ingested something interesting -- or you're morphing into Hannibal Lecter.
                                Heh, this just made me think of an exchange in some of the Destiny lore, centering around a creepy warlock called Toland the Shattered.

Toland: "I'll greet them with a smile and welcome them in."
                                Guran: "Yes, but don't smile."
                                Toland: "Why not? A smile hides the true purpose of teeth."
                                Guran: "Yes, but not yours."
                                PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Working...
                                X