Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No. I will not serve you while the building is on fire.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Air_Stewardess View Post
    I was in a Starbucks once when the fire alarm went off and the staff had to physically push people out.
    "But I want my blonde roast!"

Comment

Quoth Plague*Star View Post
      "But I want my blonde roast!"
      I'm sorry.. all we have are red heads....

Comment

Back when I worked in the supermarket, there was an actual fire alarm. I'd only worked there for a few weeks! There is an adjoining store to the supermarket, and their fire alarm was sounded cuz there was a fire in a storeroom. This meant that both stores had to evacuated. The stupidity of most customers annoyed us staff; people were bleating, "But I want to finish my shopping!" at us as we forced them out the store and into the car park. Even after the last idiot went thru the door, we still had to stand guard to stop more customers from going inside. Look, morons; we can't let you back inside til the fire brigade says that all is clear! What's so hard to understand about that?

At the petrol station one Christmas Eve, we had a mass petrol spillage all over the forecourt and had to close and call the fire brigade. Personally, if I went past a petrol station and there was a fire engine there, I'd run. Not most customers, apparently. The whines of "But it's Christmas Eve!" still went on, despite that. In the end, we just sent the SCs to go talk to the fire brigade, who put them in their place better than we could do. XD
        People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
        My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth Lace Neil Singer View Post
          ... go talk to the fire brigade, who put them in their place better than we could do. XD
          "Open yer gob one more time and Mr. Firehose will reply."
          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
            "Open yer gob one more time and Mr. Firehose will reply."
            Now that I would love to see happen!

I don't think one could argue if they have a mouthful of fire hose.
            Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

We once had a planned fire drill at the Phunny Pharm, this drill was essential in order for the company to get an important certificate.

Well, that didn't impress management who "cleverly" chose to hold a meeting during the drill and refuse to evacuate...

... but, in the end, our OSHA officer had a smug smile on her face all day after she got to yell at the bosses and tell them to GTFO without fear of repercussions
              A theory states that if anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for, it will be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

Another theory states that this has already happened.

Comment

Quoth NorthernZel View Post
                ... but, in the end, our OSHA officer had a smug smile on her face all day after she got to yell at the bosses and tell them to GTFO without fear of repercussions
                I would have loved to have been a fly on that wall. . .

Reminds me of the time my stepmom complained about a weekend she and my Dad drove up to Ohio to visit my baby sis and she stopped into a Kroger store near Dingbat's apartment.

Apparently they had a shooting (IIRC) and had to evacuate . . . and yes, my stepmom had the gall to complain about that.

She scored ZERO points with me . . . if you're being told to evacuate, you GTFO. You can shop later.

Some people I just don't get.
                Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
                  I would have loved to have been a fly on that wall. . .

Reminds me of the time my stepmom complained about a weekend she and my Dad drove up to Ohio to visit my baby sis and she stopped into a Kroger store near Dingbat's apartment.

Apparently they had a shooting (IIRC) and had to evacuate . . . and yes, my stepmom had the gall to complain about that.

She scored ZERO points with me . . . if you're being told to evacuate, you GTFO. You can shop later.

Some people I just don't get.
                  Reminds me of the time I was shopping in the mall two towns over, and the mall was evacuated cuz there was a guy on the roof threatening to jump. Some people were being total SCs and whinging about having to leave... um, there's some guy up there who wants to kill himself, and the police kinda have to clear the area so that they can talk him down! Don't be so damn selfish.

Later, they let everyone back inside; the guy had agreed to come down so there was a happy ending.
                  People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                  My DeviantArt.

Comment

This thread reminds me of Rick Rescorla The man who "predicted" the 9/11 attacks. (May God rest his soul and give him peace)

He worked as the Director of Security for Morgan Stanley, whose offices were in the World Trade Center.

When he ran evacuation drills, everyone HAD to participate. Even the high-level executives had to leave during the drills.

Because of his wisdom and bravery Morgan Stanley only lost 17 people. Sadly, he was one of them. Being former Army, he refused to leave anyone behind and died trying save others.
                    I might be crazy, but I'm not Insane.

What? You don't play with flamethrowers on the weekends? You are strange.

Comment

I got a TripAdvisor review complaining about how I was being unpleasant by raising my voice telling guests to evacuate when the alarms were sounding. She did, fortunately, include the fact that the alarm was going off in her whining, which has provoked some laughter among readers.
                      "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

God forbid you attempt to save her miserable inconsiderate self-absorbed life from a potential life-threatening danger... -_-
                        I am a Blank Space for spacing purposes, ignore me.
                        In order to treat someone as your equal, you first need to believe both: that they are your equal, and that you are their's.

Comment

Quoth Gilhelmi View Post
                          Because of his wisdom and bravery Morgan Stanley only lost 17 people. Sadly, he was one of them. Being former Army, he refused to leave anyone behind and died trying save others.
                          Sad to hear

Somewhat related...the day the Towers came down, I was working at a financial services gem. Not long after the second plane hit (but before the buildings collapsed) my boss said this: "I don't know why they're all getting out. If it was me, I'd still be at my desk trading..." Seriously? A plane just hit the fucking building, and you're going to continue working? To paraphrase Cartman, "screw you guys, I'm going home." At least he changed his tune when the first tower came down, but still.
                          Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

About 33 years ago, I was walking across my bank parking lot so I could go in and cash my paycheck. ... ... ... A cop cruiser pulls up in front of me, brakes screaming, and the cops jump out and grab their rifles and load them. Cop turns to look at me, as I stand there paralyzed in shock "You'll want to come back miss, there's an armed robbery going on right now!"

Um yes, I DO want to go away RIGHT NOW and come back later, TYVM! Tomorrow is good, yes indeedy! I want nothing to do with an armed bank robbery... Cop looked a little surprised at my willingness to Leave Right NAO!

Comment

Re the people who complained that it was fine, the fire was out, it was just a bit of smoke....

Smoke inhalation KILLS. Smoke from a fire might include anything from carbon monoxide to CYANIDE. Not to mention that even simple wood smoke, in sufficient quantity, is deadly.

And a fire that's out might have weakened structural stuff. So .. potential building collapse, anyone?
                              Seshat's self-help guide:
                              1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                              2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                              3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                              4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                                Re the people who complained that it was fine, the fire was out, it was just a bit of smoke....

Smoke inhalation KILLS. Smoke from a fire might include anything from carbon monoxide to CYANIDE. Not to mention that even simple wood smoke, in sufficient quantity, is deadly.

And a fire that's out might have weakened structural stuff. So .. potential building collapse, anyone?
                                Not to mention things like:

- Still smouldering embers that could reignite
                                - Gas or propane leaks
                                - Water everywhere; potential slipping hazard
                                - Exposed electrical wires (combine with above...)

And I'm sure I probably missed something...

Comment

Working...
                                X