This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stretching shoes?

I just got a new pair of shoes, and it seems that the usually reliable company has decided that the size I wear is now smaller than it used to be. It would be difficult to return them for new ones, so I'm wondering how easy it would be to stretch them.

Anyone have any experience in this?

If the shoes are leather uppers, you can wet them and put them on, wear them until they dry. This is likely to cause you blisters, though.

Another option is to wet them and rub them with the back of a wooden spoon in the tightest spots.
    Seshat's self-help guide:
    1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
    2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
    3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
    4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Or see if you can find a cobbler. Many times they can stretch shoes for you for little or no cost

Comment

You can buy a shoe stretching spray which softens and stretches the uppers while you wear them. Like Shpepper said, most of us cobblers will do it for you. They do need 24 hours minimum on the stretching rack, the longer the better. I'm guessing it's length rather than width, so the maximum stretch is about half a size. You can buy a stretching rack yourself but they are around £20 - a bit much for a one off job. Some shoes don't stretch as well as others, it depends out the construction of the upper and outsole, but most will be ok.

Comment

What a coincidence. I just got this in my email.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qawxQsO-Dec
          Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

It is length rather than width, yes. And I think half a size is all I need. Thanks!

Comment

Ah, well, for length I don't know much. For width (a necessity when you need wide shoes like me and the wife), fill them with wet newspaper.

Comment

Working...
              X