This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's a matter of life or unemployment

So I have an interview for my dream summer job. Summer Reading Program Assistant

The job is promoting the Libraries, and all the summer reading events. The goal is to teach kids about awesomeness of reading and literature. This includes the student assistant performing a few story telling sessions.

Which is where my problem lies. See, I need to present a short story telling session on Tuesday as a part of my interview. The story needs to be no longer than 10 minutes, though the Head Librarian hinted it should probably be closer to 5. It needs to be engaging and interesting. Most importantly, it needs to appeal to children between the ages of 5 and 11.

I cannot think of what kind story would appeal to kids of such a varied age group. So i could really use some suggestions.

This job is close to my house, it involves books, and it gives me some experience working with kids. (I want to teach elementary school) It would be an amazing opportunity, and I wouldn't have to commute two hours daily all summer. So please help with suggestions, I need to nail this interview!
    Hinakiba777- Student of Divinity-Always trying to get laid.

Annoying student=I pay tuition here so I pay your salary!
    Desk Worker=I pay tuition here, too. So I guess I pay myself.

Just going off of my kids' collection of books, I'd suggest anything by Sandra Boynton. They're pretty short, and usually giggle-worthy. My current favorite is Blue Hat, Green Hat, though But Not the Hippopotamus is cute too. They're really short, but make me giggle.

Some of Dr. Seuss's stuff is pretty good too. What Was I Scared Of? has a nice twist at the end, and The Zax is short but engaging. If you can get through the list from To Many Daves, that's also good. You can find all three stories as part of The Sneetches and Other Stories.
    "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
    - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

What about a poem? I am thinking stuff from Where the Sidewalk Ends
      Coffee should be strong, black and chewy! It should strip paint and frighten small children.

My blog Darkwynd's Musings

Comment

Poems might be good.

I like the Dr. Seuss idea, I have tons of Dr. Seuss books. But, would that appeal to 11 year olds? It's the older kids that are making me pause in my decisions.
        Hinakiba777- Student of Divinity-Always trying to get laid.

Annoying student=I pay tuition here so I pay your salary!
        Desk Worker=I pay tuition here, too. So I guess I pay myself.

Comment

Bugs. Bugs, rainbows (nature miracles), legos (everyone plays with them!)
          In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
          She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

Good luck with the interview, it sounds like an awesome job that will make a difference!
            Quote Dalesys:
            ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Quoth hinakiba777 View Post
              I like the Dr. Seuss idea, I have tons of Dr. Seuss books. But, would that appeal to 11 year olds? It's the older kids that are making me pause in my decisions.
              If you do poems, I recommend Shel Silverstein. I definitely recall enjoying those when I was 11.

With Dr. Seuss, I was trying to think of books that my 4-year-old likes that I also enjoy, since I don't remember much of what I liked at age 11. But I do know someone who presented What Was I Scared Of? at a storytelling event in undergrad, and it was quite enjoyed by the adults, so I think that one at least would go over well with 11-year-olds.

Best of luck!
              "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
              - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Rudyard Kipling's Just So Stories is one I liked around 11, and they're not too adult for little kids either, I don't think. The Elephant's Child one is particularly amusing.
                The best advice is this: Don't take advice and don't give advice. ~Author Unknown

Nobody can give you wiser advice than yourself. ~Cicero

See the fuzzy - http://bladespark.livejournal.com/

Comment

I read to some kids today. Their ages varied from three to a lone fourteen-year-old. All of them seemed to enjoy 'Jane and the Dragon' by Martin Baynton and 'Martha Speaks' by Susan Meddaugh.

Comment

Working...
                  X