This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scamming the Scammer

Recently I had been getting numerous (3-5) calls a day form some guy who claimed to be from either Bank of America, Wells Fargo, a "major financial institution" or Central Banks. All he needed was to verify my account with my name, address and SSN to send me some very important information.

Knowing it was scam, I decided to play along. At first he refused to give me the banks phone number so I could call them, saying it was confidential. I finally got a 1-900 number out of him and after having some fun, hung up.

A few minutes later he called back asking me if I "conformed" he was legit. I told him I was someone else, but could give him said person cell phone. He agreed. I quickly goggled the state attorney generals consumer protection phone number and gave that to him.

Never got another call.

why do they keep trying? Seriously.
    Also... gotta wonder what happened with him and that phone number!
    "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
    "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

that's awesome.
      I don't go in for ancient wisdom
      I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
      It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth teh_blumchenkinder View Post
        why do they keep trying? Seriously.
        Also... gotta wonder what happened with him and that phone number!
        Not a clue to either one. You would think once they realized someone is not falling for the scam, they would move on to another target. For the latter, my bet is they got scared and gave up on me. Probably some "sorry, wrong number" excuse.

Comment

I've read blogs from folks to specialize in giving the run around to Nigerian scammers. Some have claimed to have convinced the scammers to send THEM money while getting the scammers to believe they are fish on the hook.

Don't know if those claims are true or not, but the idea is sure funny

I have better things to do with my time though.

Still . . . good pwnage on this jerk. Kudos
          They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Working...
          X