Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SC called me "retarded" I'm sooo hurt.... NOT!!!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sadly I don't get carded anymore, it's kind of depressing.
    I am but a tiny, barren, insignificant rock caught in the glorious orbit of your shining sun. Gravekeeper.

Comment

Quoth mathnerd View Post
      Story the second: I'd lost my driver's license, and as it was a weekend, I couldn't get it replaced right away. I walked to a gas station to buy cigarettes and used my passport as ID. The cashier gave me grief, telling me it wasn't a valid ID (it is, thank you very much). Eventually the manager sorted out the cashier. I still never yelled at the guy, just politely asked him to get his manager so we could resolve the issue.
      I had a similar situation one summer, with a job, back in the mid-80's. the I-9 form had just been put into place (form every employee has to fill out to show they are a citizen, or have a green card, etc., i.e. legally able to work in the US). COmpany asked me for my SS card, which I had lost. So i looked at the form, and it said a Passport was a valid form as well. They tried to give me grief, saying the person in charge wanted a SS card. Ok fine, but the FORM says either is valid. They had to go to the president of the company, who said it was ok, and then grudgingly told me that, like I had created some sort of extra work for them!
      Last edited by EricKei; 04-29-2015, 02:22 PM. Reason: trimmed quote

Comment

I'm not the one who came up to buy booze without an idea and yet, I'm the one that's retarded?!

I was fortunate in my year at the Mart of Wal that I had very few people throw this snit fit. I think it was because I looked younger than 18 in spite of the fact that I was in my mid-20's, so they avoided my lane if they had booze. This trait was also the reason I always carry my ID with me, especially when I go shopping for my own booze.
        If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

So would it be fair to call these "people" who try to buy booze without having proof of age in their possession "ID-iots"?
          Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth Supermarket Slave Girl View Post
            Sadly I don't get carded anymore, it's kind of depressing.
            I get asked for ID often. AARP ID. :-)
            "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

Quoth Catwoman2965 View Post
              I had a similar situation one summer, with a job, back in the mid-80's. the I-9 form had just been put into place (form every employee has to fill out to show they are a citizen, or have a green card, etc., i.e. legally able to work in the US). COmpany asked me for my SS card, which I had lost. So i looked at the form, and it said a Passport was a valid form as well. They tried to give me grief, saying the person in charge wanted a SS card. Ok fine, but the FORM says either is valid. They had to go to the president of the company, who said it was ok, and then grudgingly told me that, like I had created some sort of extra work for them!
              "Employers CANNOT specify which document(s) the employee may present from the Lists of Acceptable Documents to establish identity and employment authorization." I'm sure the Dept. of Homeland Security would love to talk to that company.
              Figers are vicious I tell ya. They crawl up your leg and steal your belly button lint.

I'm a case study.

Comment

I got carded on my 42nd birthday.

Of course, it was because the signature had worn off the back of my credit card, and the bartender needed to verify identity, but hey...
                "I often look at every second idiot and think, 'He needs more power.'" --Varric Tethras, Dragon Age II

Comment

Quoth Sheldonrs View Post
                  Just my 2 cents but if you leave your home to go anywhere other than your backyard without ID, you are an idiot.
                  Pretty much my thought on the issue as well. Especially when I've seen some ID-iots (thanks for that one Wolfie!) who have their car keys and wallet on them. So not only are they driving without a license but they actively failed to take advantage of the protective slip designed for ID cards that 99% of wallets come equipped with. I don't know about anyone else but the only time my ID even leaves my wallet is when I pull it out to prove my age.

I have my regular stores where the employees know me and know that I'm of age so they don't need to card me but I still have it on me anyway. It's handy in case there is a new employee or they're borrowing someone from another location. In stores where I'm not as familiar with the staff I make sure to have my ID out and ready to hand over before I even reach the counter. Or if I'm buying alcohol from a grocery store I'll just put my ID next to the items on the conveyor belt like what people do with their keys when they have the rewards club keychain cards. It takes away the hassle of them having to ask for it.

They're just little steps that I've found make things go much more smoothly. Not so needlessly complicated and personal as so many customers insist on making it.

Comment

Quoth pudddykat View Post
                    A while ago a woman and I were in line at the self checkout sharing an eyeroll at the nitwits who don't seem to have any idea how to use self scan. She just had a cake and I had a couple of items. Really isn't rocket science find barcode scan put in bag. Yet somehow people find this complicated. Anyway a guy and his son(?) came to ask if were in line and I said yes and then noticed they were carrying bottles of wine. I said "Uh, sir you can't buy alcohol at self scan." I then pointed at the large sign. Add to that a sign at each station, and common sense since a self scanner cant check your ID. DUH. I remember when the signs were first put up and people still tried to scan alcohol. The self scanners need an automatic arm that slaps people upside the head when they are being stupid.
                    How about a scanner to scan the ID? It wouldn't be hard for them to do, just a firmware change to allow the barcode scanner to scan the code on the back of the IDs. I think it's a brilliant idea actually.

Comment

Quoth Silent-Hunter View Post
                      How about a scanner to scan the ID? It wouldn't be hard for them to do, just a firmware change to allow the barcode scanner to scan the code on the back of the IDs. I think it's a brilliant idea actually.
                      It would, especially it you have a stolen ID you'd like to use without anyone noticing . To avoid that you'd have to have the SCO operator verify the ID matches the buyer, eliminating the whole purpose os SCO to begin with.

(no, I never used a stolen ID as a teenager, but several aquantances of mine did)
                      Life: Reality TV for deities. - dalesys

Comment

As everyone knows, I work at a petrol station. You'd assume, right, that people driving cars would have their driving license on them as a matter of course? Wrong! I've lost count of the amount of people who I ask for ID who reply that they haven't got their license on them. Well, you had better hope that the police don't pull you over, cuz if you don't have anything on you to prove that you're the owner of the car, your car can be impounded. True, that's a last resort, and not very likely, but still.
                        People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                        My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth mathnerd View Post

Story the first: When asked for ID I showed him my wallet, ID facing up like I always do. Cashier gave me a funny look and I was about to get mad, but then I looked and realized my 12 year old son's ID was the one facing out (he has a handicapped parking permit and therefore a state issued ID card, which I keep in my wallet behind my own ID.) I realized my mistake and we all had a good laugh.
                          I was at the store one day, with beer in my groceries, and was asked for my ID. At that point I realized I'd put it in a different purse last night and forgotten it. So I said "oops" and had him put the beer back.

Next day I came back to the store and went through the same cashier's line with my beer. He ... didn't ask me for ID.

Comment

Manybellsdown, my guess is that he recognized you. An underage person who "forgot their ID" would not have done what you did on the first trip. Still, it was a risky move on his part - could have been a sting playing the "long game".
                            Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

When Hubs and I were still dating, he was on his way home one night and ended up going through a police checkpoint. The officer asked for his ID, and Hubs apparently wasn't paying attention because he handed the officer his debit card. They both had a good laugh about it though.
                              The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains gives hope to many people.

You would have to be incredibly dense for the world to revolve around you.

Comment

Quoth manybellsdown View Post
                                I was at the store one day, with beer in my groceries, and was asked for my ID. At that point I realized I'd put it in a different purse last night and forgotten it. So I said "oops" and had him put the beer back.

Next day I came back to the store and went through the same cashier's line with my beer. He ... didn't ask me for ID.

I've had that happen too. I forgot about that incident. I didn't realize my ID wasn't in my wallet, and I wasn't too far past 21, so I didn't argue it. I apologized and said to just put the beer aside and I'd pay for the rest. I'm guessing the cashier was on autopilot, because he initially reiterated that I needed my ID to buy the beer. Again, I told him that yes, I know that, and forgot my ID, so that was fine, I'd just not buy it this time, and it was no big deal. Repeat this about three times until they guy behind me finally piped up and told him that it was easy to get stuck into a "mode" when you do the same thing all day, but he needed to listen to what I was actually saying, and to put the beer back and finish ringing me up like I'd been asking him to for the last several minutes. The cashier got this "Oh!" look on his face, looked sheepish, apologized and finished the transaction. Again, once it was all sorted out, we all got a good chuckle out of it.
                                At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Working...
                                X