This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth wolfie View Post
    Actually, they don't LIKE their beer warm - they have no choice in the matter. After all, Lucas also makes refrigerators.
    give Lucas its due... they also invented the intermittent windshield wiper and the self-dimming headlamp!

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
      Actually, they don't LIKE their beer warm.
      Yes, we do. Real ale has to be served at room temperature - if you chilled it, you wouldn't taste it properly.

Lager of course has no taste anyway, so it doesn't matter how cold it is.

((before I get things thrown at me, that's only my opinion - I've never drank a lager that didn't just taste 'chemical' to me, but that might just be me, as it also makes me feel ill if I drink more than half a pint of it))
      Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

Beverage stereotyping by nationality:

Germans drink cold beer.
        Brits drink warm, pissy-tasting beer.
        Canadians drink cold, pissy-tasting beer (it's no coincidence that one of our "mass market swill" brands has a name associated with recycling).
        Americans drink cold, beery-tasting piss.
        Australians drink anything with alcohol in it.
        Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth roxtar View Post
          give Lucas its due... they also invented the intermittent windshield wiper and the self-dimming headlamp!
          Really? Or was that just spin control for wipers and headlights that didn't work properly?
          "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Gotta echo a previous sentiment - this was insanely well written! Do you write by chance in your spare time?

I imagined the Walking Dead/ 28 Days Later before you even said it. Honestly it felt like I read a Charlie Chaplin black and white movie.

Good job on handling it as best as anyone could.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
              Beverage stereotyping by nationality:

Australians drink anything with alcohol in it.
              I must be Australian then
              If anyone breaks the three pint rule, they'll be running all night to the pisser and back.

Comment

Welcome, mate. We'll throw a barbie on the beach this arvo for ya. Remember to pack your sunnies and a few snags, perhaps throw some stubbies in an esky. I'll bring the rest of the tucker.
                Seshat's self-help guide:
                1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                  Welcome, mate. We'll throw a barbie on the beach this arvo for ya. Remember to pack your sunnies and a few snags, perhaps throw some stubbies in an esky. I'll bring the rest of the tucker.
                  So for the non-Aussies here, could we get a translation? I think I got most of it, but 'arvo' and 'snags' have me stumped.
                  You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

Arvo = afternoon. Snags...l don't know.
                    1129. I will refrain from casting Dimension Jump and Magnificent Mansion on every police box we pass.
                    -----
                    http://orchidcolors.livejournal.com (A blog about everything and nothing)

Comment

Quoth WishfulSpirit View Post
                      I'll announce "no waiting in [my department]" several times over the PA, but they'd rather stand there and huff rather than (horror of horrors) take an elevator upstairs.
                      I had that happen when I was at the awesome bookstore. I'd usually be stationed in the side toy and gift section, and when it was busy the gift room would have NO line (maybe people thought that only non-book merch could be rung out there). If I could see the front counter was swamped (small store and I could see the front from where I was), I'd get on the PA and try to bring people over to me to get rung out. Some people would prefer to stand in a line halfway down the aisle (all the better for the smart nice regulars and kids, they'd come to my deserted reg and we could chat for a bit). Maybe it's a rite of passage for holiday buying, you didn't really go shopping unless you waited in a long-ass line?
                      Quoth Lace Neil Singer View Post
                      The customers complained like crazy; it took about an hour to force them all out. Cuz they just couldn't grasp the fact that tills etc run on electric; they run on magic, right?
                      Part of me wants to be in the grocery store when the power goes out to see what happens (I predict massive shoplifting in the chaos), and part not. That doesn't seem to be in our contingency plan, as we got rid of the half-dozen or so manual imprint card gizmos when our register system was upgraded (so the backup system must have also been upgraded to run the registers for as long as the power's out ). SCs scream and yell if debit goes down; I can't imagine what would happen if they could only use cash. A lot of our customers don't even carry cash anymore.
                      Last edited by Dreamstalker; 11-01-2015, 02:24 PM.
                      "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                      "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                        Welcome, friend. We'll throw a barbeque on the beach this afternoon for you. Remember to pack your sunglasses and a few sausages, perhaps throw some bottles of beer (of a particular size) in a (portable insulated box) cooler. I'll bring the rest of the food.
                        Seshat's self-help guide:
                        1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                        2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                        3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                        4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
                          A lot of our customers don't even carry cash anymore.
                          One very busy holiday season afternoon in the local grocery store, I was getting into a long line to check out. A manager started yelling she could take cash only at her register. I was the lucky one that had enough cash on me, and avoided a long wait.
                          "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

It's the lucky customer who is carrying cash when our eft machines go bye bye. XD They get to come straight to the front of the queue and pay, right past all the card carrying customers who are waiting in the giant queue in front of the only till with a functioning eft machine. Oh, the death glares.
                            People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                            My DeviantArt.

Comment

Working...
                            X