This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth XCashier View Post
    Oh yes, when there's a whole big crowd of people outside your doors and there's no employee entrance so you have to go in the main one. Double points if you're carrying food for the employee potluck.

Really, all stores should have an employees-only entrance/exit. Keep the early birds at bay until your good and ready to open!
    UGH. The past three holiday seasons I've done some seasonal work at a department store and I've had to deal with this every single time. Especially with how antsy the mob gets once the doors are even slightly cracked open enough for us to squeeze through.

I doubt I'll go back for a fourth round this year (especially after the way I was treated by management last year) but if I do then I'd probably be better off arriving via helicopter and parachute for rooftop access on Black Friday

Comment

This last Black Friday our store put two pylons outside, off to the side of the doors. We didn't put up signs or anything, yet people obediently started the line over between the pylons just like we intended. The ones in front wanted to keep their place, so they made sure to tell those people trying to cut by standing directly in front of the doors "NO! The line ends back there!" So when employees came up it was all clear. I'm still amazed this worked so well.
      Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth Dark Psion View Post
        We don't have customers when we are closed, we have trespassers.

Would you like to learn more?
        *desparately mashes the LEARN MORE button, doesn't care if it gets him shipped to the Mobile Infantry*

Your ideas intrigue me, and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

Comment

Quoth WishfulSpirit View Post
          I had to look up what pick n mix was. Over here its called bulk candy. Oldsters do like their hard candy tho. I remember my grandma's candy bowl well.
          "Look at this candy jar. Let's take a look at what you have here. You got licorice. That's good. Oh, Freedent. That's good. I got a sweet tooth. I think I'll have some Freedent. What's this? A cough drop. A Louden's cough drop. Is that candy? No, I don't think that's candy. I THINK IT'S A COUGH DROP. Let's see what else... oh, look at this - there's a FISHING LURE in here! There's a fishing lure in the candy jar! What, am I supposed to eat this? Eat a fishing lure? Is this an eyeglass lens? Oh, look at this - a spare key for a Volkswagen Scirocco. They don't even make this any more!"

Comment

^ I love that scene!
            "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Sadly no, we have no employee entrance. The building is a really old listed one, so the alterations they can make to the place are minimal. The only ways in are the main doors out front, or alarmed fire exits which need to be deactivated as they're linked to the fire department's call out scheme for businesses. And oh don't we have fun when sucktomers decide to use those instead of the way they came in!

It almost happened again today, luckily the DM is one of the more sensible ones and did tell the old man in question that if he tried to sneak in again while the doors were open to let the delivery in, we would be calling the cops and having him removed for trespassing. Huzzah! One down, several hundred more golden oldies to go. I'm just thankful somebody in management has a spine.
              Old man wasn't happy but at least he didn't argue. Mores to the pity, I was looking forward to seeing one of them removed by the police

Comment

On my Facebook feed right now there is a story about a septuagenarian who got arrested for slashing someone,s tires after a bingo dispute. Oldsters can be feisty!
                "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

I work at a pool, and we have people banging and kicking the doors if we are not open right at 6am. I mean, is swimming really that important? These aren't the people who need to go to work after either; it is the retirees.

These are probably the same people who try to swim during Swimming Lessons when the pool isn't open and tell us 'But the web site said!' We can print off the web site and it says no such lies.

Comment

Quoth amphrite View Post
                    I work at a pool, and we have people banging and kicking the doors if we are not open right at 6am. I mean, is swimming really that important? These aren't the people who need to go to work after either; it is the retirees.
                    Wouldn't it be nice if after they kick open the door and come in you could have them arrested for breaking and entering? That is what they're trying to do.
                    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth amphrite View Post
                      I work at a pool, and we have people banging and kicking the doors...
                      Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                      Wouldn't it be nice if ...
                      You could handicap them like race horses... They have to do their days swimming with 20 pounds of weights...
                      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth Ted_The_IT_Guy View Post
                        Your ideas intrigue me, and I wish to subscribe to your Tumblr.
                        Get with the times, Ted.
                        PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Friend of mine did the closing announcements at a school library. At 15 after he was allowed to go all Mr. Burns voice and announce that the hounds were being released. Not sure if it helped with the stragglers, but it made him feel better.

Comment

Working...
                          X