X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Feel So Terrible.

I stepped on the kitten today

Well, I guess kitten is the wrong word now, since he's adult sized now, but he's still mah baby

He's gotten a bad habbit of hiding behind or around the larger door, mostly because my family together has a bad habbit of leaving the big door open if we are making multiple trips in and out, just shutting the screen door.

I didn't look down. I just walked in, and thought I bumped a shoe. So I stepped down. And he shrieked.

I hope he'll be ok. He didn't run off. I picked him up and tried to comfort him, and he started trying to eat my hair, which means he wants to play, so I think he's alright....but when I put him back down on a chair, he didn't move or walk off anywhere. Normally if he gets in that playful mood, he won't sit still.

I hope I didn't hurt him
    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Poor baby! I know you feel awful, but cats, even kittens, are really resilient. Believe me...I've stepped on Pluto more times than I can count, and we've only had him for a year.

The worst time was once when he wasn't quite full grown. I was walking through the den. He came racing up behind me, wriggled right between my feet as I was in the middle of a step, and somehow got tangle up in my feet and I stepped right on his leg. He screamed and ran off (on only three paws) and hid from me. I called the vet, and the vet said if his paw started swelling and he didn't put pressure on it in a couple of hours, to bring him in. But Pluto started walking (a bit gingerly, at first) on it again within an hour, and by that evening, he was jumping, running, pouncing and playing as usual.

My husband and I have both stepped on him more than once. He's since learned not to get under our feet. Think of it as a lesson for your kitten not to get underfoot. But really, he's probably fine. Don't beat yourself up too much...I know that's hard 'cuz I felt awful when I stepped on Pluto...but your baby's probably fine.

Comment

Ah, is he at the "I'm going to be where you want to walk so I can try to kill you every morning stage" then? That's mostly how I end up stepping on Cooper, our cat. He should just be glad that I don't wear my harness boots straight after getting up.

(Okay, so that's a lie, I'd feel awful and horrible if I stepped on him again, but you're not allowed to tell anyone).

Comment

I've stepped on, kicked, and tripped over my pets more times than I can count.

You just have to keep a close eye on them for a while. They're both resilient and forgiving.

Heck, I even drove over my dog once with my mobility scooter! And she didn't even learn to respect it and stay out from in front of it.
        Seshat's self-help guide:
        1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
        2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
        3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
        4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Check to see if kitty is still limping or walking slowly. Ours are frequently underfoot and getting stepped on and/or kicked more often then we care to admit.FWIW, our vet has the same problem with her cats.
          I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
          -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Oh lordy I've slept on kittens who have crawled into bed with me before and they turned out ok.....my boy cat ephraim is always plopping on the floor right in the pathway....my girl Caterina is always getting underfoot and getting stepped on. They both like to shoot through doors and I closed the door on ephraim's head once by accident He turned out fine though.

But yeah if still not walking much the next day then might as well take him in...if he's fine it will at least be confirmed.
            https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
            Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

I've been stepping on my new cat Taz almost non-stop since I got her. She has a great talent for getting underfoot. Fortunately, all I've gotten is a paw, and that lightly. Even when I try to watch out for her, it doesn't do me any good . . . she's too fast.

She'll figure it out.

If your kitty is still not behaving normally tomorrow, call the vet and see if he wants to see him. He's probably just sore and will be over it by tomorrow.
              They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Dad called me this evening and said that he was running around chasing and harrassing my other cat, Baby, so we figure he's over it and feeling fine
                You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Telecom_goddess, my older girl has the same name as yours!

Comment

Quoth blas View Post
                    Dad called me this evening and said that he was running around chasing and harrassing my other cat, Baby, so we figure he's over it and feeling fine
                    That's great news. Cats are quite strong and can withstand a lot of unintentional injury / pain from us clumsy humans.
                    Quote Dalesys:
                    ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

The cat may guilt trip you for a bit.....do not fall for that It actually make me laugh when my cats sit near me and turn their backs.....silly sulky kittehs.
                      "Getting to the top is optional. Getting down is mandatory." _Ed Viesturs
                      "Love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking, and don't settle" Steve Jobs

Comment

Aww, glad to hear he's feeling alright. And hey, cats can take a lot. I once sat on my cat because she was playing in my blankets and I didn't see her. Two hundred pounds of ass on a six-pound cat and she not only didn't make a peep, but nothing was broken, sprained, nothing. She was purring like a chainsaw.

If your cat is anything like mine, being stepped on will not discourage him from getting under your feet and getting stepped on. All three of mine have been doing it for years, sometimes almost killing me in the process. Gotta love having cats.

Comment

I gave a cat a concussion once.
                          (SHHHH DON'T TELL! )
                          Oh it was horrible; one blown pupil and everything-- I knew that much at 13!
                          Isis lived another 4 years (very happy, what more could you do for a cat type of life, aside from the Roadtrip o' Doom and Yellowstone) before she had to be put down due to an illness that would quickly become terminal and lots of misery for her before she died (if we let it).

EDIT: glad your kitty is alright, blas! :3
                          "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
                          "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

I was seven; my sister was nine. My sister had a cat named Galadriel who had just had a litter of little baby kittens. The kittens were probably pushing ten weeks.

My father was prepared for his National Guard weekend and was coming down the stairs in his fatigues. And combat boots.

He stepped on a kitten.

Now, I know my father. I know how much he loves animals. I know how much he loves his daughter. But at this moment in time, he was a two hundred pound soldier with a kitten under his boot. That was, for him, the only reality.

He says the only thing that went though his mind was, "Dear God, what am I going to tell my daughter?"

Very gingerly, he lifted his foot. The kitten ZOOMED out like a bullet shot from a gun, racing down the stairs to cower under the sofa from the big scary man with the shiny shiny boots.

The kitten was utterly unhurt. My mother theorized that he was made of rubber. Five minutes later, he'd forgotten all about it and went off to find something interesting to do. Those curtains weren't going to climb themselves, after all.

Meanwhile, the two hundred pound soldier with the combat boots was practically inconsolable. Eventually, he, too, got better.

But he learned to watch where he walked.

Love, Who?

Comment

YAY! Victoly! That's a good story Ben!
                              ("He stepped on a kitten." Made me stop, and blink. Very nice storytelling technique overall! )
                              "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
                              "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

Working...
                              X