This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neighbors messing with mail...

I'm sure I've posted about our upstairs neighbors before; they're extremely noisy at all hours and we think now it's deliberate. We've complained to management but get "all tenants are entitled to quiet enjoyment of their units"...it's really not quiet at all if we feel a need to complain and our downstairs neighbors can hear it too <_<

The other day I saw that I had a package; my hands were full at the time so I didn't grab it. Also in the vestibule was a package for the aforementioned neighbors.

I go down yesterday morning to get the mail; the neighbor's box is gone, but mine is there...with a nice perfect bootheel impression. Half the outer box was crushed in; clearly not caused in shipment (it was FedEx and they're very nice with our parcels, also mom says that the box was fully intact when she saw it). Luckily the contents were fine, but it's disturbing that they would damage our mail...I don't think it was accidental. I now have suspicions about what happened to a couple other packages with inexplicable damage. No proof though...

I have a prop-building package coming via USPS shortly; if that's damaged I will be furious. We can't afford to get a PO box (and some ebay sellers refuse to ship to PO boxes for some reason) so that's out. Any ideas? Mom's planning to drop a line to the management that mail's getting damaged after delivery.
    Last edited by Dreamstalker; 05-29-2011, 04:21 AM.
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Tampering with mail is a federal crime in the US. Take a box, print out the statute, put it in the box. Put a note as well: "Cameras can watch when people cannot." Address the box to the neighbors. Leave in the foyer.

Wait.

Comment

I was pondering rigging some sort of wireless nannycam in the foyer; problem being I don't know how to disguise it well enough. I like the box idea though I was also considering placing a dummy package to myself out there and check on it daily (it it's intact when a box for them arrives but damaged when their box is gone...)

We also don't want them to escalate matters (they ramped up the noise after both management and mom spoke to them).

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
        We've complained to management but get "all tenants are entitled to quiet enjoyment of their units
        Um...so that doesn't include you, then?
        I don't go in for ancient wisdom
        I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
        It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

We're confused too. I suspect management has no idea exactly how loud they're being. I'm able to record them through the ceiling (using a crappy MP3-player microphone, if that picks them up they must be loud), but I have no idea if the company would accept that as any proof. MA technically requires both parties consent to recordings...

Comment

Are you actually recording their words? It's not like you're trying to use them in court or anything..
            I don't go in for ancient wisdom
            I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
            It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

No words, just the noise that filters down to "our property" (there might be some actual words in there if one listens carefully enough, but it's mostly random shrieks and furniture-shaking pounding); the only real words on the recording are my timestamps. I'm guessing we're OK by that.

Comment

PA cops told me that it was illegal for me to record my old neighbors on my porch threatening my family and I should erase the tape. I told the cop they were outside with no right to privacy, he didn't care and told me to just erase the tape.

I told management but the bitch threatened to kick us both out. I ask her if she really wanted to be on the record telling me that victims of crime on the property need to keep their mouths shut or else. Funny, they were willing to cut my rent amount by a lot if I stayed. I told them they showed me just what kind of tenants they want and it wasn't people like me.

If I was you I would document, document and document some more. You need to call the manager every single your neighbors are up to no good.

I have a notebook that I keep my records of run ins with others in and call management to fill them in. I am also not afraid of calling the police. You should do the same.
                Do not annoy the woman with the flamethrower!

If you don't like it, I believe you can go to hell! ~Trinity from The Matrix

Yes, MadMike does live under my couch.

Comment

My upstairs neighbors used to be loud as hell. I get migraines from really loud sounds and their repeated blaring of FPS games with loud explosions was unnerving and maddening. I wanted to tape a sign that said "Get a headset!" on their door. That and on weekends they'd have a small child over to stay and they'd let him run from one side to the other so hard and fast that our fans would sway and jingle from it.

It was the last straw when they started playing drums over my room and had me in agony. My migraine was so bad. I called the cops who sneaked up (no lights on the car, crept up the stairs) and startled them (and us!) by banging on their door. Since then they've been more respectful.

We tried the same venue that you did with multiple complaints to the landlord and got the same responses. Funny how the law at your door at 10pm will change the tune.
                  "Oh, the strawberries don't taste as they used to and the thighs of women have lost their clutch!"

Comment

That particular apartment has a bit of a history with the cops; three of the past four sets of tenants were all evicted and had numerous visits/complaints (DV, underage drinking, DV).

The property 'regulations' say that this is primarily a professional complex (no loud music, students have to jump through a lot of hoops to get accepted, kids can't do anything that would disturb other tenants, etc). Our downstairs neighbor has two kids and they're angels, so obviously it's possible for young children to be quiet (the father of the rampaging beasts upstairs pulled out the "they're just kids!" excuse when asked a couple times by us to keep it down).
                    Last edited by Dreamstalker; 06-06-2011, 03:18 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X