This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Cautionary Tale

Now that I have had time to get over the impulse to rant murderously, I would like to explain what precisely transpired last week. As you may have noticed, many of my posts vanished, my Youtube channel vanished and generally an apoloclypse contained entirely within my online persona occured. It was rather unpleasent, and I would be lying if I said I wasn't still rather urked about it.

The thing is, this website operates on anonymity. That's the entire point of it. It is what allows us to discuss people and things without retaliation from the subject of our dicussions and complaints. Unfortunately, last week, a handful of our members saw fit to out me and this website directly to the subject of one of my posts. In some sort of attempt to troll up an Internet fight or some such. Of course, they are not the ones at risk for any blowback from such stupidity, I am. So to say I was aggravated, dissappointed and honestly feeling somewhat betrayed would be a bit of an understatement.

It was, to put it as nicely as possible ( Despite my impulse to do otherwise ), incredibly stupid of them. As it put me at risk. Had the subject not taken things well, it would have been really ugly. I, fortunately, dodged a bullet. However, the damage has still been dealt and it has forced me to re-examine that which I say here, as I had never really considered the possibility of anyone doing something like this before.

Of course every post related to the subject had to be removed. I was also forced to take down my own Youtube channel, so there will be no more Story Times or other podcasts. Which bothers me somewhat as it was something I was getting the hang of, and had, ironically, purchased better equipment for the day before this happened. Additionally, this persona is now isolated. I can no longer link this persona to anything else I might be planning to do on the Interwebs, such as launch my own ( non-work related ) comedy site that I've had in the pipe for a few months now. So my plans have been rather disrupted by this as a whole.

Thus is the price of risking the core function of this website: our anonymity. You could cost someone their piece of mind, their job and their safety. So think twice ( Hell, three times. Write yourself a reminder note in your iPhone. ) before you go blathering about someone or something on here and whom you're blathering it too.

I'm really sorry someone did that to you. I'm even sorrier that it came from people on this site. Having had my entire life kicked out from under me because of similar incidents (not related to this site, but still work related) my blood boils when it happens to other people.

Comment

I hope this has been brought up with the moderators and the persons in question banned! That kind of behavior is 100% unacceptable!

(Although I personally haven't got any anonymity here, I've chosen to let the people of this site become potential customers, because I can never resist the possibility of making just one more sale... so my business and my account here are linked nearly directly, three clicks will get you from here to there. But that's MY choice, it's absolutely, completely, utterly NOT something that's appropriate for somebody else to make for me, and I would be howling for the blood of anybody that did!)
      The best advice is this: Don't take advice and don't give advice. ~Author Unknown

Nobody can give you wiser advice than yourself. ~Cicero

See the fuzzy - http://bladespark.livejournal.com/

Comment

That sucks GK. I only heard about it after the fact so I have no idea what was said but I wish people didn't get their jollies causing trouble for others.

Spark - the mods are aware; don't know about bannings though.
        Last edited by BookstoreEscapee; 05-30-2011, 09:10 PM.
        I don't go in for ancient wisdom
        I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
        It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

That REALLY sucks! I loved storytime, and now we're all going to miss out on a comedy site because of some idiot/s? *scowls*
          Glad you're okay though! *hugs*
          Don't tempt pixies, it never ends well.

Avatar created by the lovely Eisa.

Comment

Wow. That is just low. I'm going to choose to believe it was a relatively new member, because I don't think I can stand it if one of the family did it.
            The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Great googly mooogly.

I . . . don't know what to say.

GK, this sucks on so many levels.

And I absolutely, positively understand your point of view in this area: I use my Panacea persona to blog locally. My anonymity is crucial to me as I take controversial viewpoints and am a state employee. So I completely get why you are so upset.

This really, really SUCKS ROCKS! You spent a lot of time and effort building up Gravekeeper. He's a name brand around here. Now, you'd have to start all over, assuming you can or dare.

GK, I want you to know that I have really, really enjoyed everything you've posted here on CS. You have a real gift . . . one few others here can match. I hope you can find some way to continue, and follow through on your plans. But I completely respect the situation you are in, and any decision you ultimately make on how to proceed.

Best wishes.
              They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth spark View Post
                I hope this has been brought up with the moderators and the persons in question banned!
                Rapscallion has dealt with it.

A reminder that the members have apologized to Rapscallion, and as a result, were not banned. It was a lapse in judgment by a couple of members.

We do not allow bashing of fellow members, so, even though we understand the anger and outrage involved, we ask that this not turn into a lynch mob against them.
                Last edited by Ree; 05-31-2011, 10:27 PM.
                Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

Check. This is a pretty well moderated site, I'm glad you guys are so on top of things.

I'm still just kind of boggling that anybody would do any such thing, for any reason. I can't even think of a reason that makes any sort of sense!
                  The best advice is this: Don't take advice and don't give advice. ~Author Unknown

Nobody can give you wiser advice than yourself. ~Cicero

See the fuzzy - http://bladespark.livejournal.com/

Comment

Gotta love how people come here to get sucky customer stories off their chests and then turn right around and mess with what I'd consider to be theraputic ranting. good to know some people have nothing better to do than be a pain in someone's ass. I've seen similar shit on another forum I'm a member of - someone got their panties in a twist, contacted a member's employer and tried to get them fired. Really, folks? Are we still seven years old and still need to tattle on people?

I'm sorry people have thrown a monkey wrench into your storytelling, GK. I lurked for quite a while before joining, and I was familiar with your tales even before registering and I'm one of many who would get all excited when I saw a new installment of your rants. I guess some people just thrive on making trouble for others because they are dickless little wastes of air.

In any case, I hope for the best. Will we be seeing anymore stories from you here? Or are you leaving the site?

Comment

This wouldn't be the first time somebody's been tattled on for their postings here, I'm sorry to say.

And my co-workers wonder why I refuse to start my own facebook. They would know I posted there. They don't know about my postings here.
                      Last edited by Irving Patrick Freleigh; 05-31-2011, 04:05 AM.
                      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I am sorry to hear that GK. Some, like me, don't care who knows what I put on the web..but some must maintain the seperation..and we members here should respect that. If my job finds out I out some of their idiotic management, decisions, etc and fire me..I really won't care. Now if I posted anything that breeched the NDA, then maybe. Anyhow GK, though I don't post often in your threads..they are always interesting and clever. I look forward every week to them. I hope to continue to see them, as painful as they are to you. Hope everything settles, clears up, and works out for you.
                        Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Quoth ShadowBall View Post
                          good to know some people have nothing better to do than be a pain in someone's ass.
                          I'm almost sure it was a brain burp rather than malice.
                          It was a rather stupid thing to do, and just after Jester debated linking to his interview and decided against, too.
                          Sadly, there are only one defence and that is to watch out what you tell people about yourself, even when it means that you can't tell a good story.

Comment

Wow. That's just...awful, GK. Seriously. I'm sorry someone did that. Malice or brain burp, it's still enormously fucked up.
                            "And so all the night-tide, I lie down by the side of my darling, my darling, my life and my bride!"
                            "Hallo elskan min/Trui ekki hvad timinn lidur"
                            Amayis is my wifey

Comment

Wow, everyone's being targeted lately!

First Joi, now Gravekeeper, next it'll be Lupo...

And I'm glad that the only person who knows me on the forums personally is Nyoibo...
                              The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Working...
                              X