Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The movie is a good intro but not 100% needed. (IN fact, I think the movie was pretty well done and the series kept the spirit of the movie alive)
    Quote Dalesys:
    ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Quoth Mytical View Post
      *POSSIBLE SPOILERS AHEAD*

The BBB Syndrome (Bigger Badder Better), it is the death of a lot of good shows. Yet somehow there are still a billion versions of Power Rangers..and if you looked up BBB Syndrome they would have a picture of the Power Rangers right there. Anyhow, I digress. It is also the death of a lot of tabletop roleplaying games. I mean once you stop a god (or dragon) from destroying the world (ravaging a town) THEN what? Clearing out a rust monster just doesn't seem to be a challenge. Dang it there I go off on a tangent again...

I thought the same thing. I loved the show..and the enemies were interesting..however once the Ori came..it just lost .. something. The solution was a Deuce Ex Machina also..the writers wrote themselves into a corner and had to come up with a lame solution. Ok..I will quit rambling before I do too much spoiling..

Ok the solution to every single villain they ever faced was Deus Ex MAchina sometimes almost literally, it's how well the action and characters are written make up for it.

Spoilers

Here's the different Deus Ex Machina that they come across:

Daniel spontaneously being sent to an alternate universe where he gets the address to stop the invasion in season one
      Them spontaneously running into the replicators to save them from apophis at the end of season 4
      Oneill finding superknowledge to defeat Anubis and replicators
      Them finding Telchak device to defeat supersoldiers
      There just happens to be a device capable of destroying the replicators that just happens to be on the planet they just took over.
      Merlin's phase shifting device
      Finding a ZPM in the past

And that's off the top of my head, the whole point of the show is to go out and find ancient alien devices.

I will agree the Ark of Truth device was a bit of a stretch but the rest of it is written very well in my opinion and while it's a stretch there I'm willing to look past it.

In my opinion while not every episode was perfect the show just kept getting better. the only real criticism I ahve is season 8 starts a little slow.
      Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
      Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

Comment

Quoth Mytical View Post
        *POSSIBLE SPOILERS AHEAD*

The BBB Syndrome (Bigger Badder Better), it is the death of a lot of good shows. Yet somehow there are still a billion versions of Power Rangers..and if you looked up BBB Syndrome they would have a picture of the Power Rangers right there. Anyhow, I digress. It is also the death of a lot of tabletop roleplaying games. I mean once you stop a god (or dragon) from destroying the world (ravaging a town) THEN what? Clearing out a rust monster just doesn't seem to be a challenge. Dang it there I go off on a tangent again...

I thought the same thing. I loved the show..and the enemies were interesting..however once the Ori came..it just lost .. something. The solution was a Deuce Ex Machina also..the writers wrote themselves into a corner and had to come up with a lame solution. Ok..I will quit rambling before I do too much spoiling..
        SPOILERS BELOW!

I agree with the BBB syndrome. It seems to me that at some point it just becomes silly.

With the downfall of the Goa'uld and advent of the Ori I pretty much lost interest in the show. I still found myself watching it every week, but found that I cared less and less about the show.
        I'd tell you where to go, but I work there and I don't want to see you everyday.

My photo blog.

Comment

As far as I am concerned the show ended with the final episode of season 8. Season nine and ten are Stargate: Voyage or Enterprise.

out

Comment

I'd watch it for fun but I don't feel that it is essential.

Comment

Quoth Rodimal View Post
              Season nine and ten are Stargate: Voyage or Enterprise.
              I think Enterprise was actually a great show... if you drop Star Trek from it.

Some of season 9 and 10 was fairly good, but I agree with everyone else that it just got too silly with the Ori plot.

Comment

Quoth Rodimal View Post
                As far as I am concerned the show ended with the final episode of season 8. Season nine and ten are Stargate: Voyage or Enterprise.

out
                (Spoilers)

There were quite a few "endings" in the SG:1 series (I guess where they didn't know if it was going to continue or not).

Season 5 - seemed to tie things up at the end - but it continued (and with the alternate character in season 6 they struggled a bit, but it picked back up).
                Season 8 - This was an ending. Everything was tied up in a little bundle and it's over.
                Season 9 - It seems like halfway though they didn't think it was going to last so they gave one of those "send off" episodes (Ripple Effect) that has all the past people come back in some way. Adding in Vala seemed an attempt to keep the series going.

I think there are a couple of others but I can't think of them now.

But oddly, they thought there would be a season 11. "200" they hinted at it and even the season ended with a kinda- cliffhanger. They had to make the Ark of Truth just to end the series.

Continuum - I don't know what they were thinking, it's a 2 hour episode. I guess instead of another season they spent the cash on this.
                Quote Dalesys:
                ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

My understanding was that they knew about the movies coming out part way through filming season 10. Further they also thought it was going to end at season 7 as well.

Comment

Actually right after they finished filming "200", they found out the show was being cancelled. They didn't even have time to rewrite the scripts to finish the story.
                    I AM the evil bastard!
                    A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

if you do want to watch the movie though, iirc it's available on itunes for like 5 bucks.

I originally saw it in the theatre and just shrugged when it was turned into a TV show. I never really cared to watch it. My first TV SG1 exposure was when one of my friends bought Season 4, specifically because he wanted to watch "Window of Opportunity" (episode 6).

So yeah, that ended up being the first episode I watched - and one of the few I downloaded on iTunes. So far I've only downloaded 4 episodes... WOO, another one simply by accident, 200, & the final episode.

Weird facts.

IIRC Michael Shanks tried emulating James Spader to get the role. I've even heard that some fans actually thought he WAS James Spader for a while.

There's also an archeologist named Michael Shanks. At a convention, the actor said that someone gave him a copy of the scientist's books.

Oh and some of the cast from the original movie are in the series too. The most obvious will be Alexis Cruz & Erick Avari who played the same roles (Skaara & Kasuf respectively) in both. I'm not sure about others except... French Stewart - he played one of the soldiers in the original movie and a scientist in SGU.

Oh and don't forget Sha're (originally spelled Sha'uri in the series). In real life, the woman playing her in the tv series was involved with Shanks for a time.
                      [Spoiler]For the episode where she looks extremely pregnant, Shanks jokes that it was his child's first acting gig[/spoiler]

Oh and Sgt. Siler -he's played by Dan Shea, the stunt coordinator ... which is why Siler gets thrown around so much. Plus he's RDA's stunt double too. And apparently the stunt coordinator for SGA too.
                      Last edited by PepperElf; 09-04-2012, 03:33 PM.

Comment

shanks has a history of getting involved with costars because he married lexa doig after they met on andromeda.

Comment

Working...
                        X