This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great, Now We've Got a Thief

Back when Borders was in the process of shutting down, I bought 8 calendars of different kinds. I'm known at work for the peel off calendars I keep on the counter that runs down one side of my cubicle. People stop to check out them out, and they can lead to great conversations. Every year I buy two knitting calendars, one that has patterns, and one that is stitches.

I put the bags with the calendars shoved back under my desk. I didn't think about them until I remembered that I had only one of the knitting calendars and I wanted to order the one I didn't have. I half-crawled under my desk to pull out the three bags of calendars, but there were only two bags. The bag that had the knitting calendar was gone. I dug all around, then checked all my drawers and cabinets, but no bag. As I looked around, I realized that an unopened box of instant gluten-free oatmeal (expensive, but yummy) was also gone.

I didn't freak at first, but put the other two bags into a cabinet, and decided to make sure I hadn't taken the other items home. But I checked everywhere at home, and no calendars or oatmeal. Then I got upset. I've really liked where I've worked because it has been the one place I've worked where I've never worried about a thief. I've worked places where anything left on your desk or in the refrigerator could go missing. I informed admin, but I have no idea what they have done about it. Really, what can they do?

But now I've learned some other things. A coworker had some brand new headphones stolen out of her desk. Another coworker had a nice pair of scissors stolen out of her desk. And that's just in one small area of the office.

I know it doesn't seem like much, but I'm starting to wonder what else might have gone missing that I wrote off to memory loss or mistaken belief.

Since most of the items that were taken were new, it makes me think that it's possible they were taken to resell, but it's also possible that someone just thought the items were cool and wanted them for themselves.

This just sucks.
    Labor boards have info on local laws for free
    HR believes the first person in the door
    Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
    Document everything
    CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

That truly is appalling. Does any level of management know of these "wandering" items? Is there anyplace in your work area that's secure where people can put stuff? I worked at a They're Everywhere!! doughnut/coffee shop in Niagara Falls last summer and there were not enough lockers in the staff area ... but there were security cameras everywhere, so staff had little concern about leaving stuff unsecured.

Comment

Working...
    X