Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Things you will not put up with at work.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Things you will not put up with at work.

Obviously, there are shitty parts of jobs that just come along with the work, but where do you draw the line from "part of the job" to "BS you will not put up with".

When I get hired, there a couple of things that I know I won't take kindly to.

-Being forced to suggestive sell even after the customer had already said no. Like those policies where you have to ask at least 3 times before you can give up. Fuck that, if they say no once, I'm not gonna bring it up again.

-Not being allowed to go to the bathroom. Or more specifically, having to wait a long time to get permission to go. A couple of minutes is fine, but there is only so long I can wait...

-Having to be flexable. I shouldn't have to cancel any plans just because they need me all of a sudden. When I'm off, I'm off and shouldn't have to drop everything to work. It doesn't mean I won't come in if they call, but don't expect it. I work to live, not live to work.

Other things I won't put up with are harassment and abuse. Including physical threats from customers, and otherwise dangerous or unsafe working conditions, but I figure that would go without saying.

No one gets to tell me how to feel, period. If I take it out on someone, that's one thing. But if someone doesn't like my body language or the way my face looks, too bad. I told the MOD just that the other night. I don't mean I have a free pass to be impolite, but don't support sucktomers who don't like what they think I'm thinking.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

This is something I've been thinking about a lot lately. Where does it cross the line from "the way management is treating us sucks" to "management treats us like dirt and it's no longer worth the stress of working here"? I don't know where the line is, exactly, but it's looming in the distance.

One of the things that is getting increasingly difficult to put up with is the lack of direction from senior management before a situation comes up. We're told that, as a branch, we're supposed to operate autonomously. Yet, when we take the initiative and handle a situation without asking, it's invariably the wrong way to handle it, and we get yelled at for it. (Sometimes literally.) If they'd just tell us what they expect of us beforehand, we'd have some direction when handling a difficult or unusual situation.
      "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
      -Mira Furlan

Comment

Quoth rageaholic View Post

Having to be flexable. I shouldn't have to cancel any plans just because they need me all of a sudden. When I'm off, I'm off and shouldn't have to drop everything to work. It doesn't mean I won't come in if they call, but don't expect it. I work to live, not live to work.
        That's not being flexible, that's being "On-Call", and should be paid for (unless, of course, you're military, in which case you're on call 24/7 all year long with no pay or time off, but that's a whole different issue).

Madness takes it's toll....
        Please have exact change ready.

Comment

Quoth Merriweather View Post
          That's not being flexible, that's being "On-Call", and should be paid for (unless, of course, you're military, in which case you're on call 24/7 all year long with no pay or time off, but that's a whole different issue).
          The laws on that vary from state to state, so check with your state labor department.
          Labor boards have info on local laws for free
          HR believes the first person in the door
          Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
          Document everything
          CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Things I wouldn't put up with at my old job:

-Nepotism and favouritism. It really wasn't coincidence how when a new transfer arrived who happened to be related to a former manager, she suddenly received full-time hours (forcing a friend to quit) and only recently was appointed 2IC despite there being more competent coworkers. (the previous 2IC had to "step down" due to family responsibilities)

-Being short-staffed: that actually made my problem worse.

-People who decided that the store is their own personal trash can: So many times I'd find cups and such in the shelves when helping to face-up, but the worst one was a half-eaten chocolate bar. As in someone grabbed a chocolate bar, opened it, took a bite and then left the rest on the shelf. (yes I know this is "part of the job", but the chocolate bar incident really just annoyed me)

-Being "ousted" once you hit the adult wage (the company-and a few others-use a junior wage scale, where from the age of 15-21 or so, your rate of pay goes up until you hit 21, after which it stays there. So it might be that as a 15-year-old you got paid $8 per hour, as an adult, you'd get paid $18 per hour). Usually at that point you'd get a feeling like they wanted you gone.

-Lack of support during state/federal law changes i.e. the plastic-bag ban. SO MUCH ABUSE. And a lack of support to go with it.
            The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

I won't tolerate:
              •coworkers and/or managers that won't support me. I.e. if I have a line and call for help and no one comes or if I call for a price check or stock check and the customer gets sick of waiting it takes so long.

•customer abuse. I posted about the asshat old man that started verbal bashing me for being androgynous. My SM stepped in a told him off but shortly after asked me not to faux hawk my hair.

•abuse/harassment from coworkers (or managers) I have one coworker that likes to go back and forth between nice and extreme bitch. When she's in extreme bitch mode she'll trash talk me and my long distance bf (who she hasn't met). And I have a manager that will harass me to a minor degree (with is several degrees too much) all in the guise of friendship.

•respect of *my* time. My managers have control only over when I work. If I'm scheduled till 3:15 and I'm not allowed to leave my register to do my end of shift stuff until 3:15 I have every right to be pissed. I didn't have any plans that afternoon but what if I did?
              Driver Picks the Music, Shotgun Shuts His Cakehole.
              Supernatural 9-13-05 to forever

Comment

Quoth dragon_wings View Post
                •respect of *my* time. My managers have control only over when I work. If I'm scheduled till 3:15 and I'm not allowed to leave my register to do my end of shift stuff until 3:15 I have every right to be pissed. I didn't have any plans that afternoon but what if I did?
                That's another one. They can't tell me what to do when off the clock.

Comment

Being called a liar.

I have and will continue to stand up to any such accusations and force my accusers to admit that they are doing that and that they are wrong.

^-.-^
                  Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                    Being called a liar.

I have and will continue to stand up to any such accusations and force my accusers to admit that they are doing that and that they are wrong.

^-.-^
                    QFT. Part of my emphatic nature is not being able to lie (I just feel so wrong when trying to lie).
                    Driver Picks the Music, Shotgun Shuts His Cakehole.
                    Supernatural 9-13-05 to forever

Comment

Quoth wagegoth View Post
                      The laws on that vary from state to state, so check with your state labor department.
                      ""That's not being flexible, that's being "On-Call", and should be paid for...""

You notice I said "should" be My comment was totally from a logical and moral standpoint, I've no illusions about it actually being implemented anywhere but utopis

Madness takes it's toll....
                      Please have exact change ready.

Comment

I will NOT be accused of doing something without proof. While I've mellowed out quite a bit in these past couple of years, there is one thing that I will raise my voice and get loudly defensive about. Sure, sure, go ahead and say that people who get really standoffish and defensive usually look really guilty by doing so, but this is such a hot button issue for me that I cannot control my emotions about it. It's honest to gosh juvenile, and bad practice, to come out and say "YOU did this" without any proof. Oh, you think making copies of paperwork is proof? Hardly, when we play musical machines all night long.
                        You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

(yes, gonna bitch about the call center again)

1. Being told I am not passionate enough about doing my job. Doing this will result in me doing the bare minimum so your special ass can see what a lack of passion really is.

2. Being talked down to or at like I'm a fucking moron. Sorry, once you start acting like you're hot shit that's better than me, anything you say gets completely ignored.

3. Being told I "need" to stay home and miss work (thus throwing off my scheduled hours, which I will hear about) because Miss Super Special Boss-Whore is pregnant. Fuck her - I don't care if I have ebola, I will come to work if I damn well please so I can earn money. Let HER stay home if she's worried about getting a germ on her precious uterus. This goes for everyone else too - sorry people, but like many, I could not afford to miss a few days of work on account of the flu or strep. You're gonna have to STFU and deal, just as I would if someone else came to work sick.

4. Taking away of my sanity outlets...things that allow me to not commit mass murder while on the clock due to retarded co-workers or an asshole of a boss. Removing such outlets will result in me relieving my stress in far more damaging ways that you will no likey.

5. Being abused in any way. If I start getting bitched at for every single fucking little thing I do, I will begin to feel mighty harassed and write a nice long letter to HR, possibly with the word "lawsuit" in there just to ensure I strike fear into someone's heart.

Comment

When I was working any job, things I would not do and I didn't much care if I got fired over them (which I never did, btw):

(In no particular order)
                            • I don't clean up bodily fluids.
                            • I decide if I'm too sick to work, and if I do, I ain't coming in.
                            • I get paid what we agreed upon. You don't pay, I don't work. I don't work a job for the fun of it.
                            • I will not get put into dangerous situations against my will.
                            • If you want to embarrass me in public, I will return the favor.
                            • I don't ask permission to take bathroom breaks.
                            • I don't collude in illegal or unethical activities.
                            Last edited by RecoveringKinkoid; 11-01-2011, 04:47 AM.

Comment

I will not be pushed into going back into the call queue before I'm done with the after-call work I'm currently doing. I've done it before and it's a nightmare trying to catch up later, plus if you are graded on a call and the notes aren't there it's an automatic zero (and I swear, the other day I was getting graded on a call I had JUST taken...fortunately my supervisor is a doll and warned me so I could put a short note in quickly). I don't even care if there are 40 calls in queue and they've been waiting for 2 hours. If you want me to do my job right, let me take the time I need to finish one call before moving to the next one.
                              "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

Working...
                              X