This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dear God, she really said this...

I have this curse on my head where bad sitcom moments or SNL seem to happen to me in real life. Case in point, I was working at the grocery store years ago and this little old lady comes up to me and asks where the Mexican food is. I show her the aisle, and instead of thanking me, she says,

"I'm glad you were able to find it. I asked your Mexican workers, you'd think they'd be able to, but they didn't!"

Yes, dear readers, this narrow-minded little hag not only generalized all our Spanish speaking employees as "Mexican" (grrr, don't you hate that???), but assumed that, of course they'd know where the Mexican food is kept!!

If you're not weeping for humanity, you're a better person than I.
    "I used to be Snow White... but I drifted."~Mae West

It would've killed her to actually READ the signs at the end of the aisles in order to find the one that said "International foods" or whatever, huh?
    Unseen but seeing
    oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
    There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
    3rd shift needs love, too
    RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post
      It would've killed her to actually READ the signs at the end of the aisles in order to find the one that said "International foods" or whatever, huh?
      In my local international foods store they mark the aisles with flags of the country and a sign that says which country's foods are there. I doubt she would've been able to pick the mexican flag out.
      How was I supposed to know someone was slipping you Birth Control in the food I've been making for you lately?

Comment

In my local international foods store they mark the aisles with flags of the country and a sign that says which country's foods are there. I doubt she would've been able to pick the mexican flag out.
        Nah, I worked at the standard, sign-above-the-aisle grocery store. Still, I wouldn't give the old lady so much undeserved credit as to assume she was actually literate.
        "I used to be Snow White... but I drifted."~Mae West

Comment

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post
          Well, see, if the sign simply said "International Foods" she would have to deduce that that would include "Mexican"...and that's asking quite a lot, don't you think?
          I don't go in for ancient wisdom
          I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
          It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

I always have to know where the mexican food is kept at the grocery stores, cause thats where they keep the hot sauce too.....mmmm I love me some hot sauce.

oh yeah...bad customer...bad..bad...bad...no food for you...
            My Karma ran over your dogma.

Comment

Let's hope she doesn't decide to travel to Ta Lin Market in ABQ, there the aisles are marked mainly by the names of cities (Cairo, Kyoto, Tokyo, Manila, Beijing, etc). That might make her head implode (which may not be a bad thing, mind you).
              Last edited by Dreamstalker; 07-03-2007, 04:08 PM.
              "I am quite confident that I do exist."
              "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
                Well, see, if the sign simply said "International Foods" she would have to deduce that that would include "Mexican"...and that's asking quite a lot, don't you think?
                Yes. Yes, it is and I apologize for having a logical mind when it comes to SCs.

Am I forgiven?
                Unseen but seeing
                oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                3rd shift needs love, too
                RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Working...
                X