This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Hon'ya-chan View Post
    Yeah, and you have a choice of between First Class, Priority Mail, and Express Mail. Overnight will cost you the "discount" you got for the book in many cases. Priority mail is a shoot for 5 days, and First Class? Not for big lots of books!!
    I dunno, I always get my order from Amazon.ca in less than a week after shipping, using the free shipping option. Usually get it in about 3 days, though once was 4.

And what's this I heard about Albertans not paying tax in Seattle? *marks down next vacation spot*
    Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
      I dunno, I always get my order from Amazon.ca in less than a week after shipping, using the free shipping option. Usually get it in about 3 days, though once was 4
      You have the luxury of Polar Bears delivering your mail. Ours are too busy trying to get eagles to deliver the mail.

Comment

Quoth digilight View Post
        One of the great things about living along the coast in southern california is that we are over 300 miles from the nearest other state (nevada and arizona). So we don't get folks around here to much who aren't used to paying sales tax.
        It's 300 mile sto the MIDDLE of my state for me. Hell, it's only 200 miles to Cuba from where I am.

But, taxes change from county to county here.

On a good note, we had a "tax break" on all hurricane related supplies, so I bought my year's supply of batteries, bottled water, nails, a portable weather radio/TV and a weather station (I didn't realize there was no tax on that last one until after I paid for it). Last year it saved me about $40 on shutters.

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
        30 Ikeas in the US. Soon to be 35. 8 of those are in California. Being a Californian, I thought those places were more ubiquitous than they really are. I don't actually like most Ikea furniture, so I never actually shop there.
        We're finally getting one here (Ft Lauderdale), my wife and I can't wait for the hype to wear off, then we can shop there. I did try getting a job there, but I guess they laughed at my resume.

Quoth Hon'ya-chan View Post

"Oh, but the book is cheaper online at amazon.com!!"

Yeah, and you have a choice of between First Class, Priority Mail, and Express Mail. Overnight will cost you the "discount" you got for the book in many cases. Priority mail is a shoot for 5 days, and First Class? Not for big lots of books!!
        Plus, the cheaper version on Amazon.com is usually used sold by some Joe out in east nowhere, NE. He also charges $7 to ship it to you. People need to do the math. If I need a book now, I'll get it locally (or though Amazon.com and pay for overnight shipping).

Quoth JustaCashier View Post
        Many of them are pretty nice when requesting it, but there are some that have the snobbish, entitled attitude.

Mike
        And the person behind them who overhears this and expects the same treatment, even though they don't deserve it.
        Last edited by draggar; 06-30-2007, 11:56 AM.
        Quote Dalesys:
        ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Quoth blas87 View Post
          No sales tax, plus Mall of America
          And that's a good enough reason to leave the state. Bigger isn't always better.

Comment

I think the opposite. Any chance myself or my friends come across extra money we hightail it to MOA.

No sales tax on clothes More stores!!! More variety........and Camp Snoopy!

Because my mom said I was too old for Camp Snoopy and refused to let me go in there when we went as a family when I was 15. Poo poo on her, I go to Camp Snoopy like twice a year now
            You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth Boozy View Post
              Every time I hear a customer say that I want to say "Well, that makes two of us" but I'm afraid they won't realize that I'm referring to what they said.
              In which case you say, "Now that's the dumbest thing I've heard."

Quoth draggar View Post
              He also charges $7 to ship it to you.
              OK, I'm a cheapass. I'll get the cheapest book at the cheapest shipping cost, which is usually around $3 or $4.
              Unseen but seeing
              oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
              There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
              3rd shift needs love, too
              RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth Juwl View Post
                "There's no sales tax in Washington DC."
                I know, that surprised me too when I went there this winter for the march for life. I bought a t-shirt that was $20 bucks.

Me: Wait, shouldn't it be $21 something?
                Cle:No, why would it be?
                Meoesn't it have tax?
                Cle:Hon, this is D.C. We hardly have to pay federal taxes.

The tax in Ohio is 8% on practically everything, except food in grocery stores and to-go orders at fast food joints. Thus is my confusion when in Maryland and I add stuff up , and it tis wrong. I'll look blankly at the clerk till he tells me the tax is different and I'll laugh and say, "sorry". He'll/she'll laugh and say "it's alriht, we get idiots in here trying to say that their state taxes matter in this state." and I laugh right along with them.
                Just because they serve you, doesn't mean they like you. And just because they smile and act polite doesn't mean they aren't planning to destroy you.

"I put the laughter in slaughter."

Comment

Quoth rerant View Post
                  One day when I was having a particularly bad day at work a customer was complaining about taxes.
                  All I could say in response to her was, "Well if it weren't for our taxes that cast you have on your arm would have cost a whole lot more than nothing."
                  She shut up pretty fast.

HAHA Beautiful
                  Broadcasting to you live from the nerve center of my brain..... szzzt *we are currently experiencing technical difficulties, please stand by*

Comment

Actually I believe if you travel to a foreign country and buy something expensive you can file a claim the get the tax back from the purchase. I know for sure that Americans can do it for purchases made in Canada.

Of course SCs probably never bother to research stuff like that, nor could they likely figure out the simple claim form.

Comment

Quoth CrazedClerk View Post
                      Actually I believe if you travel to a foreign country and buy something expensive you can file a claim the get the tax back from the purchase. I know for sure that Americans can do it for purchases made in Canada.

Of course SCs probably never bother to research stuff like that, nor could they likely figure out the simple claim form.
                      I've known about that, but since I never buy enough to have to claim though customs, I never bother. I figure I used their facilities, roads, and if I needed medical attention, then I would have gotten it.
                      Quote Dalesys:
                      ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Affordable health care!?.... what's that?

The Ikea in NJ only charges 3% sales tax. We have a few areas that have less tax than the rest of the state. Not that I've ever lived in any of them (and the two I know of I wouldn't WANT to live in.)
                        I will not shove “it” up my backside. I do not know what “it” is, but in my many years on this earth I have figured out that that particular port hole is best reserved for emergency exit only. -GK

Comment

Quoth draggar View Post
                          Hell, it's only 200 miles to Cuba from where I am.
                          Only 90 miles for me! The amusing thing is, the closest major city to here is actually Havana, NOT Miami. (Miami is 150 miles away.)

And yet we still get American services, facilities, and of course taxes. Of course, some tourists forget or try to suggest that American taxes and laws don't apply here. We are sometimes lax about certain things, but sorry, your teenage boys still can't drink beer with you at the bar. We are still in the U.S., if only barely.

As for people who bitch about the state? I have gotten that, people who bitch and moan about Key West or Phoenix (when I lived there). My response? "Get the fuck off my island/Get the fuck out of my state!" Don't like it? Leave. Adios. Later. Bye.

Myself, I am getting kind of over Key West. Still love it, but am over it. So what am I doing? Plotting my exit strategy for next summer. Leaving it, thank you. 'Nuff said.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                          Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth CrazedClerk View Post
                            And I am going to research that. Some friends and I are going to Toronto in a few weeks and we're going to be there for a few days. I already bought tickets for a Toronto FC match (Soccer team) and we're buying a few jerseys and scarves there too. So that claim is going to help.
                            The Grand Galactic Inquisitor hears all and sees all.

Comment

Quoth DesignFox View Post
                              The Ikea in NJ only charges 3% sales tax. We have a few areas that have less tax than the rest of the state. Not that I've ever lived in any of them (and the two I know of I wouldn't WANT to live in.)
                              Same here. Holy biscuit. There are a few places I wouldn't feel safe being near in DAYLIGHT.
                              Unseen but seeing
                              oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                              There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                              3rd shift needs love, too
                              RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth Gurndigarn View Post
                                And that's a good enough reason to leave the state. Bigger isn't always better.
                                Most locals I know of avoid the Mall of America unless they work there. That's for the tourists.
                                It's little things that make the difference between 'enjoyable', 'tolerable', and 'gimme a spoon, I'm digging an escape tunnel'.

Comment

Working...
                                X