This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Omi Maxwell View Post
    The first story takes place at Bay Area Renaissance Festival...
    B.A.R.F.???

One year while doing so, I discovered a small boy in front with a wooden sword yelling obscenities at me. I tried to ignore him...until the darling threw the aforementioned wooden sword with rather astounding accuracy.
    So, if you didn't kill him, what DID happen? How did this story end? What were the reactions of others when the little shit threw his sword at you?

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
    Still A Customer."

Comment

What about the folks that are dressed weird? Or not really in the time frame (figuratively)?

One of my friends went to one last year, and he wondered why someone dressed up as Edward Elric from Fullmetal Alchemist.

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
        B.A.R.F.???

So, if you didn't kill him, what DID happen? How did this story end? What were the reactions of others when the little shit threw his sword at you?

Well, since the rules of the board stated that I wasn't allowed to dive over the ropes and teach the little monster the meaning of 'justifiable homicide', I just stood there and pretended that it hadn't happened. Not many folks saw it happen anyway since crowd-rousers have to be at the Chessboard before any of the other actors save for the Stage Manager. Thankfully the wee mite didn't give any thought to repairing his behaviour and he threw his sword at a gate guard. Supposedly he was banned....but I see that God doesn't like me enough to hold up the punishment since he keeps coming back.

To Hon'ya Chan...yeah. It happens. During our last Robin Hood year, when I was a member of Robin Hood's Merry Men, we were accosted by a shoddily clad Darth Vader. We've had Lord of the Rings Characters, Furries, Star Wars Characters, Anime Characters and really creepy saggy old ladies in chain mail bikinis.
        Why did Darwin bother giving us hope?

Comment

Quoth Hon'ya-chan View Post
          What about the folks that are dressed weird? Or not really in the time frame (figuratively)?

One of my friends went to one last year, and he wondered why someone dressed up as Edward Elric from Fullmetal Alchemist.
          It all boils down to the same thing: It's a chance to play dress-up.

You get the same thing no matter what the event. The basic costumes come from faire, anime, comic & sci-fi, gaming, net memes, and furry. And you pretty much get a smattering of all of these genres represented at any events in addition to the massive numbers that go in something matching the event itself.

There are kids these days that never have a chance to really be kids, so when they become adults, the opportunity is too much to pass up. And some of us don't see the point in no longer playing just because we happen to be older.

^-.-^
          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

The first story takes place at Bay Area Renaissance Festival 2005 or 2006 while I was doing some volunteer work as a squire for the jousting troupe. Everything was going rather according to drill and I was out at the list field with another squire setting up all the equipment needed for the upcoming performance. I turned around to check on the lances only to find a drunken patron with the lance between his legs. To this day I'm not sure if he was being intimate with it or pretending that it was his genitals, but nothetheless it really wasn't something I'd wanted to see. I approached the man and informed him that he would have to leave the field and put the lance back in its holder. He simply stared at me. I inquired how much alcohol he had consumed that day. He laughed and informed me, "Enough". I think a little piece of my soul died when I had to touch the lance.
            Next time that happens, just tell him about the idiot patron that sat too close to the list field at the Mi Renaissance Festival and got a sword to the leg.

I'll never understand the costumes people wear to Fest. We too have gotten anime characters, Darth Vadar, faux goth kids in god knows what, and a reoccurring Link.

Comment

To Hon'ya Chan...yeah. It happens. During our last Robin Hood year, when I was a member of Robin Hood's Merry Men, we were accosted by a shoddily clad Darth Vader. We've had Lord of the Rings Characters, Furries, Star Wars Characters, Anime Characters and really creepy saggy old ladies in chain mail bikinis.
              Thanks for the visual. I'll send my therapist bills to ya.

Comment

The "wearing goth, fantasy, or any other irrelevant costume" mentality is creeping into the SCA scene, too, notably at Pennsic. Most of us don't much care for it.

Why on EARTH would you think clubwear is appropriate for an SCA event? It's annoying, and shows a lack of respect for the scene.

Comment

Is SCA a spectator sport? I thought it was participate in the scene or don't be there.

Comment

As a customer/patron, wear whatever the heck makes you happy and isn't illegal or obscene.

As a participant, you can very well figure out how to get together the appropriate attire and go without all those inappropriate accessories.

^-.-^
                    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Dalvenja View Post
                      Is SCA a spectator sport? I thought it was participate in the scene or don't be there.
                      You're right. Everyone is expected to participate. Everyone is expected to wear a reasonable attempt at pre 1650 garb. Modern clothing is considered extremely bad form.

Why we do not enforce our rules better than we do is beyond me.

Comment

Heh, oh I don't care what the silly patrons wear. They're there to have fun and I fully support that ^_^. I was just pointing out some of the peculiar oddities that we tend to get. As for SCA, I went to a few events in Trimaris (sp?). I believe my persona was the bastard son of a high-power Daimyo. To my memory, his name was Masa Ryuichi.
                        Why did Darwin bother giving us hope?

Comment

Working...
                        X