Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This entire thread has been a fascinating study in sociology and perceptions. What's funny to me is that there are two posters who reacted exactly the opposite of how I would have expected them to react, based on their previous postings, which I'm still debating being either A) my own misperceptions of those posters or B) the apparent seriousness of this situation or C) all of the above.

I like to turn everything into science, though, heh heh.

(So far as the OP, I laughed and thought it was great, but we all already know I'm twisted and evil so no big surprise there...)
    "Maybe the problem just went away...maybe it was the magical sniper fairy that comes and gives silenced hollow point rounds to people who don't eat their vegetables."

Comment

Quoth MystyGlyttyr View Post
      This entire thread has been a fascinating study in sociology and perceptions. What's funny to me is that there are two posters who reacted exactly the opposite of how I would have expected them to react, based on their previous postings
      Haha, I know! I guess humor is very subjective. I just took it for what it was. I would think it is slightly fabricated. In fact, I do think he called back from a pay phone, however I don't think he did anything more than that. I think he probably got freaked out when the mother answered and probably just yelled something ("HOWARD STERN RULES!!!"). And then went on his way.

However, if the story is true, yeah, it sucks that all of this happened, but everyone thought that Tom Mabe thing was hilarious, when he pranked telemarketers into thinking he was dead. I think someone else posted that up there, but it was one of the first things I thought of too.
      JB: Are you the grief counselor?
      GC: Oh, God, it never ends.

Cas@Mindsay

Comment

Quoth myswtghst View Post
        We've all been reminded, many times, that all we need to do is report the thread if we feel it's inappropriate.
        I just felt the need to say (yes, and don't I always) that I didn't feel the *post* was inappropriate... I really only felt that the OP's ACTIONS were appropriate. Thus, not report-worthy (and Raps and the other mods can tell you, I don't hesitate to report posts if I find them inappropriate).
        GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

Quoth Racket_Man View Post
          remember the exchange student (from somewhere in Aisa I believe) that was shot to death on Halloween night for going up to some house thinking there was a party and the owner tried to warn the student off (student not altogether conversant in American English)and the "owner felt threatened" and shot the student dead on the spot.
          no, i don't remember that. and i couldn't find a news article on it. Where was this?

Comment

Quoth Saydrah View Post
            It was amusing up until you wasted real police officers' time. Now, my advice to you is LAWYER UP immediately. Don't wait for them to sue- get a lawyer NOW.
            While I agree that this was over the line. I think the family would have a hard time suing. First of all, they have to PROVE the OP made the call.

He didn't use his phone or real name. If asked if he made the call, he can plead the fifth.
            Just because a customer expects you to put some effort into your job, that does not make them an SC.

Comment

Quoth LifeCarnie View Post
              While I agree that this was over the line. I think the family would have a hard time suing. First of all, they have to PROVE the OP made the call.

He didn't use his phone or real name. If asked if he made the call, he can plead the fifth.
              Exactly. They really would only have circumstantial evidence - they can indicate he probably made the call, but not PROVE it, unless they go to the trouble of finding surveillance footage of him using the specific pay phone at the time the call was made...etc.

I really think that it would be a HUGE waste of time and energy to sue the kid. Try to get him punished/fired at work, sure. But anything beyond that just seems an overreaction.
              "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

Quoth CorDarei View Post
                remember the exchange student (from somewhere in Aisa I believe) that was shot to death on Halloween night
                Where was this?
                I am pretty sure that was a plot to an episode of "Homicide: Life on the Street".
                David Morse played Det. Bayliss' brother, who shot a young foreign boy in that very scenario.

Now, sometimes, the plots came from headlines, so it's possible it also happened in real life, but I just can't recall.
                Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

remember the exchange student (from somewhere in Aisa I believe) that was shot to death on Halloween night for going up to some house thinking there was a party and the owner tried to warn the student off (student not altogether conversant in American English)and the "owner felt threatened" and shot the student dead on the spot.
                  Its a real incident from Louisiana in 1992:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yoshihiro_Hattori

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

Quoth MystyGlyttyr View Post
                    This entire thread has been a fascinating study in sociology and perceptions. What's funny to me is that there are two posters who reacted exactly the opposite of how I would have expected them to react, based on their previous postings, which I'm still debating being either A) my own misperceptions of those posters or B) the apparent seriousness of this situation or C) all of the above.

I like to turn everything into science, though, heh heh.

(So far as the OP, I laughed and thought it was great, but we all already know I'm twisted and evil so no big surprise there...)
                    You're right. This has been a very interesting look into various psyches. I was thinking the same thing and I bet it's about the same posters, too!

I was laughing at the OP as well. When I got to the "dead pizzaguy" I was just thinking that he was going to be in some deep doo-doo, but I was still laughing. Yes, I am just that twisted.

It's also interesting to note that the OP started this thread, he's got only one other post and hasn't been back to this one. Unless he's just lurking. Yoo-hoo, Sprocket! You can come out. I promise, we won't bite. <goes and looks behind the shrubbery (ni)>

Someone else (I'm sorry, I can't find who) pointed out, we don't know the cops in his area. Hell, I can't even say how the cops here would react! There was a story just recently in the paper and APD and BernCo Sheriff's Dept have a diametrically opposed view of the issue.
                    It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Fun fact about "pleading the 5th"... If you are going to plead the 5th Ammendment, you must do so from the very beginning where they start by asking your name. If, at any time, you choose to actually answer a question, then your pleading the 5th can get you charged with contempt.

Also, unless the OP removed his prints from the payphone, or it was so popular a payphone that his prints were obliterated by the next day (possible, but unlikely in this age of cellphones), those would be excellent solid evidence against him in court.

^-.-^
                      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                        Also, unless the OP removed his prints from the payphone, or it was so popular a payphone that his prints were obliterated by the next day (possible, but unlikely in this age of cellphones), those would be excellent solid evidence against him in court.
                        A payphone that hundreds of others might have used at some point? One that he could have used at any point in the previous few days?
                        Fingerprints only show that he used it, and not when.

Besides, I highly doubt the tech unit would be sent out to fingerprint a public payphone on the off chance of finding a viable print that could be used in court, when poor dear hypothetical granny, who got knocked over and had her purse grabbed the day before is still sitting, waiting for them to catch a break on finding that scumbag, or the hypothetical family on the corner is still waiitng for a break in the case to find out who hit their son on a bicycle and left him for dead on a stretch of road.

I don't know...for all the drama and hand wringing over this one, phone pranks probably aren't at the top of the list of must investigate crimes...unless it's a small town and it's a slow day for police matters.
                        Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

Wow this thread has gone through some serouse tangents and like a lot of others said its an interesting case study. Im actually surprised how personaly people took this posting. I still stand by my first reply like i said I was a superviser for two years and had to drive if my drivers called out. Ive seen and heard everything from paying for their orders in the buff to one of my drivers delivering to the barrecks and being duck taped in a mattress and thrown off the third story window (he didnt press charges and they were diciplnied by their command. NO ONE WAS HURT!) Long and short of it is it sucks delivering things to people! And unlike the wait staff in a resturant for a breif moment u see in to someones personal life even though it may just be from the doorstep...lets face it people are strange! So I can see this story on its way to becoming an urban legend among delivery drivers and teenagers everywhere. Hmm....I'll be back Im going to see if its posted on snopes.com yet

Comment

Quoth iviles View Post
                            I'll be back Im going to see if its posted on snopes.com yet
                            Not yet.

(I checked on first read)

^-.-^
                            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Boozy View Post
                              Its a real incident from Louisiana in 1992:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yoshihiro_Hattori
                              you are truly a google-fu master, and i am a lowly apprentice.

man, i don't see how that guy got off, he should have been prosecuted. I think any time a civil cause is won against someone, that means that justice failed on the criminal side of things (if a criminal activity had occurred). but back to the main topic....

i'm starting to call shenanigans now too, seeing as how our "beloved" OP hasn't been back.

Comment

Working...
                              X