This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Someone who finally got it right.

This woman wasn't an SC, but she was teetering on the edge of being a rude pain in my ass, but redeemed herself at the last second.
    A reminder to anyone who is not aware of this: my ears are spaced to 14mm. Yes, that means I have a hole 2mm larger than 1/2 an inch in my ear, and the jewelry I wear are tunnels, meaning the hole is clearly visible.

Woman: Do those hurt? Your ears, I mean.
    Me: Do they hurt, or did they hurt?
    Woman: Do they?
    Me: Well if they hurt all the time I wouldn't have them.
    Woman: You probably get asked about them a lot, huh?
    Me: (having a bad day and really not wanting to chew the fat about my piercings) Yep.
    My bad day must have been very visible through this one comment.
    Woman: And I take it you don't want to be asked about them so I'll shut up now. I know when to zip my mouth.

THANK YOU!
    Now, can you please impart this wisdom on other customers as well?

Aside from my piercings another thing I get asked about is my name, which rarely anyone can pronounce.
    My name is one of the most common female Arabic names, and I am not Arabic.
    I know it's not a sucky thing on the customer's part, but having to recite the correct pronunciation then sit through a Q and A about it can get a little trying.
    One man today, who I assume was Arabic based on how our conversation went, seemed to take offence to my name.

Man: Your name is Arabic, you know.
    Me: I know.
    Man: And I can see that you are not Arabic.
    Me: No, I'm not.
    Man: So why do you have an Arabic name?
    Me: Because that's what my parents chose to name me?
    Man: Are either of your parents Arabic?
    Me: Nope. Irish and Scottish.
    Man: Then you should have an Irish name!

Well excuuuuse me, Name Police, I didn't know I had to clear it with you before I decided to accept the name my parents had given me.
    Now if I had a traditional Irish name how much more crap do you think I would have to go through trying to get people to pronounce Siobahn (shuh-vaughn)?
    PASS! I happen to like my name, thank you, regardless of the fact that I am not Arabic.
    I've stuck my flag in it and claimed it. Move on.

Quoth rerant
    Woman: And I take it you don't want to be asked about them so I'll shut up now. I know when to zip my mouth.
    Let's see: Hell frozen. Check. World Peace. Check. Cubs winning the World Series. I'm sorry miracles can only do the concievable.
    "Oh, by the way..." All of my HATE

Ou kata nomon = Not according to the accepted norm

Comment

Yeah, Arabic names are at least somewhat phonetic (the ones I know, anyway); Irish names, not so much. My name is easily pronounced if you know how to READ, but people manage to mangle it all the time anyway.

Comment

"Man: Then you should have an Irish name!"

Well you should have a baseball bat rammed sideways in your ass, but sometimes life isn't fair.
        "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

Quoth Trayol View Post
          Cubs winning the World Series.
          Just a few years ago, the Cubs had a chance to get to the Series. It was the year of the miracle Red Sox.

I so wanted to have the Red Sox face the Cubs.

Series go 7 games. Home team down by 1, bases loaded, bottom of the 9th, 2 out, 3-2 count.

At that very moment the world would have come to an end because there was no way the Series could have been that perfect.
          SC Motto "I am more important than you and others and don't you ever forget it"

Comment

Quoth SteveJD
            At that very moment the world would have come to an end
            Yeah, that's why I don't mess with things that could potentially negate life itself.
            "Oh, by the way..." All of my HATE

Ou kata nomon = Not according to the accepted norm

Comment

I've been the first person there ... sometimes you're just so curious about something. I'm sure she didn't mean anything by it.

The second guy needs to be tossed into a running hay thrasher.
              "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

Some of the small talk I've had to experience has been awfully frustrating.
                My stand out would have to be the following exchange I had with an old man a couple of days after Xmas, Was tired out of my wits, was early in the morning and I had dressed casually. I tend to wear leather wrists cuffs most days, because it generally matches/goes with my general attire well, and I like them. Old man makes small talk, and looks at the cuffs.. asks if I am a BURN VICTIM and covering up scars.. Had to ask him to repeat himself to see if I heard it right, and yes, he seemed disappointed when I told him it was just an accessory..
                The rest is getting used to customers terrible jokes, everything else is generally nice.. sometimes they've mentioned something interesting enough that if its dead, I'll chat for another 5 minutes with them. All is not lost I guess.
                - Boochan

Comment

yay, someone else with an unusual name. I work in a hotel, let's just say I have to have 2 minute conversations about my unusual name...and here I am trying to get things done while a line of late arrivals is piling up. It's gotten to the point that the minute I hear, "What's your name?????" I have to spell it out like I am a cop explaining the N is for Nancy...etc And after the usual "that's weird/or pretty"...they finally go..."oh." after I spell it out. I am guessing it is because I spell it out with a big of vengence because I am there to sell hotel rooms not explain my name to people. Go look it up...it's a friggn river in Great Britian you loser (my thoughts since it's soooo friggn strange, then why is there a river?)
                  When it comes to getting things done, we need fewer architects and more bricklayers. ---Colleen C. Barrett---

Comment

Quoth rerant View Post
                    I've stuck my flag in it and claimed it. Move on.
                    This just makes me think of Eddie Izzard :P In a very condescending English accent:

"Do you have a flag?"

"No."

"No flag, no country!"

ONI HEUIR NI FEDIR

Comment

Yeah but your name could be Bob and they would still pronounce it wrong as well as have something crazy to say like dont you know thats a boys name.

Comment

Quoth iviles View Post
                        Yeah but your name could be Bob and they would still pronounce it wrong as well as have something crazy to say like dont you know thats a boys name.
                        Now - that just reminds me of Inspector Clouseau(sp?) in Pink Panther... 'a beumb'.

"A 'beumb'"

"yes, that is what I said".
                        When I said "From my research", what I actually meant to say was "Made shit up" - from a thottbot thread

Comment

Quoth Slytovhand View Post
                          Now - that just reminds me of Inspector Clouseau(sp?) in Pink Panther... 'a beumb'.

"A 'beumb'"

Oh, and don't forget about the "moeths."

^-.-^
                          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Slytovhand View Post

"A 'beumb'"

"Yes, a beumb. Did you order a beumb?"
                            "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

I have to admit that every time I hear an unusual, to me anyway, name, I ask about it. Because I love names and if you know about the origin of your name my eyes practically light up.

Yeah, my great-grandparents were Dutch, German & Belgium (I think) mix but you wouldn't know it by the kids' names: Richard, Winfred, Bliss, Leonora, Valeria, Virginia & Bernice. The 1st three were boys. The only two middle names that I remember are Zenobia & McKinley.

And maybe your parents named you for the woman who saved your Dad's life, or was your Mother's roommate, or favorite aunt. Ahh, he just proves that thing about 'assume' doesn't he.
                              I'm sorry, the person to whom you were speaking has been replaced by a recording. Please leave your message at the sound of the beep.

Comment

Working...
                              X