This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth TryNotToBeThatOne View Post
    And maybe your parents named you for the woman who saved your Dad's life, or was your Mother's roommate, or favorite aunt. Ahh, he just proves that thing about 'assume' doesn't he.
    The story I was given (and to be honest I never really asked too much about it) was that when my mother was pregnant with me my dad was off buying some baby things and ended up in a conversation with a woman at the store.
    He mentioned that he and my mom hadn't decided on a name yet and this woman, who was Arabic, suggested my name, stating it was, as Arabic names go, as common as Ashley. My dad liked it, my mom liked it (since she was also adamant about not giving me a name that was popular at the time like Tiffany or Kimberly) and now it's mine.

The Arabic meaning of my name is "noble, or sublime". There are other meanings for it as well depending on the origins, like for example in Swahili it means "exalted" and in Hebrew it means "to ascend".
    I also once read another meaning of it being "high priestess", but I can't remember the origin of that one. Could have been Arabic or Hebrew though, since those are the two main origins for my name.
    No matter how you slice it though my name spells out pure, undiluted awesome.

Ooh and I just found, through teh intarwebz, that the name I have reserved for my future potential female offspring "goes well with" my own. I guess this particular site was meaning it in a way for what would go well as a middle name, but either way I think it's neat.
    Last edited by rerant; 03-30-2008, 05:44 AM.

Comment

Quoth rerant View Post
      A reminder to anyone who is not aware of this: my ears are spaced to 14mm. Yes, that means I have a hole 2mm larger than 1/2 an inch in my ear, and the jewelry I wear are tunnels, meaning the hole is clearly visible.

I'm sorry and by no means do I mean to be a "rude pain in the ass" I think it's a cool look, not one that I would ever do myself - but if you are going to do something that visible to others - you need to be prepared to answer questions at any time or at least come to expect them. I know you were in a bad mood that day - but that lady did not deserve to be the bearer of your bad day. Was she rude in her asking? Was she condescending? The way you have it typed - it sounded as if she were just curious. And can you blame her - you have "tunnels" in your ears which are "clearly visible" and probably not something she sees on a daily basis.

As I have said before, if you hear the same questions over and over again - don't get agitated - come up with witty retorts - it will save you the stress and possibly make you and the curious party laugh a little - hence possibly lifting your bad mood.
      "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

Quoth rerant View Post
        Man: Then you should have an Irish name!
        Tell me, sir, should I have a German first name to go with my last name, or an Irish name to go with my mother's maiden name?

How about a Danish name, because of my great-grandmother?

Work with me here.
        Unseen but seeing
        oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
        There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
        3rd shift needs love, too
        RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Oh yeah, what about the real mongrels who need more than 2 hands to count the nationalities (both extant and non-) in their family tree, should they have a name longer than Britney's black book to reflect that?
          I'm sorry, the person to whom you were speaking has been replaced by a recording. Please leave your message at the sound of the beep.

Comment

What a presumptive jerk that second guy was. If he would have asked me, I would have had to tell him that my parents were English, Irish, German, French-Canadian...until we go back to Africa, and I don't think anyone cares to go back that far. So...what kind of name should I have? It would be interesting to see what my husband's name should be, since he's French, Scott, and Greek.

I'm not really sure there are many places in this world left that are, forgive the term, culturally "pure." Wonder if he missed the part in history class about exploration and emigration?

Comment

Working...
            X