This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm sorry I tried to do my job

The best stories, for me, are the ones in which people get yelled at for things they tried their best to do or had no knowledge of.

As part of my last job, I ordered supplies for the store. Cups, trays, bags, and store-use things like that.
    I ordered check-lane plastic sacks as well, and I tended to order more when the store was down to a pallet and a half in the back room. So I check this one Friday, and we have two pallets. Fine. Then I have Saturday off, come in on Sunday, and everyone starts yelling at me because we're out of sacks. This is an unprecedented amount of sacks used in two days. (What had happened was a winter storm has been forecasted, and people in Indiana freak out when that happens and stock up on everything, even though we live in Indiana and should know how to reasonably deal with this.) I explain this concept to everyone and explain why I did not order more sacks. (I also got yelled at if there were too many sacks clogging up the stock room.) Of course, no one listens to my reason.

Ok, fine, whatever. So I rush order a pallet of sacks. Rush ordering means it will be here in a day. I also put in three normal orders for three more pallets.

Two days later, the rush order hasn't arrived. I put in another. Three more days go by before they show up. I'm getting a lot of flak during this time. Then two weeks later, the normal orders show up. Then we have too many pallets and I get yelled at for this. Hooray.
    Excuse me, good sir paladin, can you direct me to your EVIL district?

http://www.dywhcomic.com

Oh yeah, the whole 'how dare you do what I told you to do,' rant. I looovve those.
    I'm sorry, the person to whom you were speaking has been replaced by a recording. Please leave your message at the sound of the beep.

Comment

Your are lucky that the standard order didn't beat the rush order to your dock.

I did an order. Shipped on a Monday. On Tuesday somebody noticed that we were extremely low on the product and could not wait for the normal delivery. So I placed a rush order, to be shipped Expediated and delivered in 24 hours across country.

Yep, they delivered it. To a foreign country. Actually a customs depot at the Toronto Airport. Somebody reversed the zip code on my faxed order to the manufacturer and then somebody else could not read a 7 versus 4 or some other BS at the trucking company and routed the load to Canada.

The standard load arrived on Friday that week.

3 weeks later the Expediated order arrived. It had a problem clearing customs to leave Canada because the information was incorrect on the bill of lading.

Can you guess how many times I got yelled at because the package was stuck in customs?
      SC Motto "I am more important than you and others and don't you ever forget it"

Comment

Hey, I got you beat on a rush order getting misrouted, for distance, if not time!

One of our customers placed a next day delivery order with us, and it went out on the truck as usual. We're in southern California, the customer was in northern California, and even though most shipments within California get there the next day, they paid for next day delivery to guarantee it.

The next day, our customer calls us up wanting to know whey they don't have their product yet, so we look up the shipment.

It's in New York?!? So we call the shipping company to find out what happened.

It turns out that a next day delivery shipment to leave southern California for northern California had been mis-routed and was on a vacation to visit Ireland!

Thankfully, however, customs to and from Ireland is a lot faster than customs to and from Canada, so it made it to the customer (to be returned to us since we'd shipped a replacement) about 10 working days later.

^-.-^
        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
          It turns out that a next day delivery shipment to leave southern California for northern California had been mis-routed and was on a vacation to visit Ireland!
          *laughs* I would love a mis-route vacation like that.

Comment

Lucky shipment. *pouts*
            Unseen but seeing
            oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
            There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
            3rd shift needs love, too
            RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Yep, that's one of those 'damned if you do, damned if you don't' instances. I feel your pain, it know what it's like to have a boss that just cannot be pleased no matter how good of a job you do. My boss at my previous job was like that.
              "500 bucks, that's almost a million!"
              ~Curly from the 3 Stooges

Comment

You mean like the 'you take too many Mondays off' boss? I ask for Monday off after my vacation because I'll be so wiped that I'd be calling in sick anyway and gee I kinda thought it was better to give the heads up than let it be surprise.

One year I took all my vacation as long weekends, mostly Friday through Monday with occasional Thursday through Monday. So I was out about 10 Mondays, out of, oh 50. He didn't notice the Fridays (because he was hardly ever in), he just noticed the Mondays. Note, my supervisor, who actually approved the vacation requests, was cool with it. It was his boss that had a hissy.
                I'm sorry, the person to whom you were speaking has been replaced by a recording. Please leave your message at the sound of the beep.

Comment

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post
                  Lucky shipment. *pouts*
                  Seriously. I've never gotten to go to Ireland but some stuff from California does?! No fair.

On ordering supplies: I was told this story about my boss in my old department (who hired someone he worked with in his old store before he came to that department; she told us the story). He was an assistant manager and in charge of ordering supplies (bags, paper towels, etc.). One day he placed an order for 200 rolls of toilet paper for the bathrooms (these are the big commercial-size rolls that are like a foot in diameter). Apparently he entered an extra zero to the quantity field....

Yep, two-thousand rolls of TP.

I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                  I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                  It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Now, don't you all get jealous of a bunch of overnight shipment packages.

They did get to go to Ireland, but they left on the very next flight, never left the airport, and had to spend the entire trip packed so close they were all touching at least 4 other packages, and weren't allowed to leave their container.

Could you imagine getting to go to Ireland and never being allowed to leave the cabin of the plane?

^-.-^
                    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Could you imagine getting to go to Ireland and never being allowed to leave the cabin of the plane?

^-.-^
                      Actually yes. My friend was in the Army and his unit did actually sit waiting in a jet on the tarmac at an airport in Ireland without ever actually leaving the plane.
                      Just because a customer expects you to put some effort into your job, that does not make them an SC.

Comment

Working...
                      X