This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Lady and the Produce

When I first started in retail, about a decade ago (wow, I feel old now), I had a little old lady at my register. I was scanning her merchandise, and came across a bag of oranges (one of those pre-priced 4lb bags).

At this time, produce was notorious for not scanning, and as expected, the oranges did not scan.

*These are not exact quotes, but rough approximations*

Me: I'm sorry, Ma'am, this didn't scan. I'll have to go check the price.
    SC: Don't you know it?
    Me: No, I'm sorry, it'll just take a moment to check.
    SC: Then I don't want them.

Did she honestly think that store employees know the prices of every item in the store off the top of their heads?

SC
    "...four of his five wits went halting off, and now is the whole man governed with one..." W. Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing Act I, Sc I

Do you like Shakespeare? Join us The Globe Theater!

Quoth BroSCFischer View Post
    Did she honestly think that store employees know the prices of every item in the store off the top of their heads?
    Duh. Of course she did. All SCs expect it.

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Why not? There are only about 10 thousand items in the store. And it's not like any of those prices ever change.
      Sometimes life is altered.
      Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
      Uneasy with confrontation.
      Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Well, you DO work there. You're supposed to know this stuff.

That's what the SCs think, anyway. Those of us who have at least a passing acquaintance with reality know better.

Comment

I get that all the time. SC come up asks for a price check, when i go to a register or use the gun to scan it they ask why i don't know the price. Even worse when they are just checking to see if it is on sale. Some really do believe I should know the price of every item in the store and it it is on sale and if not when and how long.

Comment

Don't forget that not only should you know the price of every item in the store, but you should also know the exact location of every item the store sells. At least some people seem to think so anyways.
            Question authority, but raise your hand first. -Alan M. Bershowitz

Comment

Quoth Teysa View Post
              Don't forget that not only should you know the price of every item in the store, but you should also know the exact location of every item the store sells. At least some people seem to think so anyways.
              ...and how many you have in stock, and whether you have any in the back, and why you don't carry specific items.
              The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

And let's not forget what's coming on the truck, how much of each thing is coming, and when will it get here. Then expect that the second it gets to the receiving area it magically appears on the shelf.
                Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

Comment

Oh, I always say, 'I don't know why you don't automatically know the price. After all, there are only thousands of products in the store.' Sometimes I even get the full line out before snickering.
                  I'm sorry, the person to whom you were speaking has been replaced by a recording. Please leave your message at the sound of the beep.

Comment

Working...
                  X