This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cruise from hell.

I was listening to the experiences on the radio and wow, they're bad. Someone woke up with his eyes glued shut. Eventually they were pried open in the infirmary. Loud machinery was used even late at night, dust was falling into food. Now, you might say "I'm sure they were warned about construction so it's on them for booking." But they weren't told until the ship was setting sail. Oh, and the cruise line is offering... 25% off another cruise.

This is the best link I found, and it has a title which downplays it. "Cruise Ship Passengers Protest Maintenance Activity." I feel like "maintenance" is the wrong word, lol.
    Replace anger management with stupidity management.

I can see some serious class action in this line's future.
    Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
    OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
    she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
    Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

True story: when I opened this thread on my phone last night there was a banner ad for Carnival Cruise lines at the top.

That's some dank product placement.
      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
        the cruise line is offering... 25% off another cruise.
        As if they would sail on that line again
        I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
        -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

If the ship needed that many repairs, why the hell didn't they leave it in the dock to do the repairs and put the passengers on a better ship? Would anyone want to ride on a bus or train that's currently being repaired or repainted? There is so much Fail™ here!
          I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
          My LiveJournal
          A page we can all agree with!

Comment

This was a repositioning cruise. They are moving the ship and are offering a deep discount on it in the first place. They do warn people that work will be done while underway. They are taking care of all the wear and tear issues that happened over the last five or so months. It's one of the reasons it's cheaper (Often you can get a 14 day cruise for almost half price.) It's the same as Disneyland shutting down several rides in January for maintenance but don't close the park to do it. Anyone that books a repositioning cruise and doesn't expect them to be doing any work clearly didn't read -any- of the information on the cruise. I've looked into taking a repositioning cruise before. It was clearly listed that maintenance work would be done and not all services would be available. I was fine with that because it would go though the Panama Canal (ship was being moved from the Caribbean to Alaska.)

Comment

Quoth Arcus View Post
              This was a repositioning cruise.
              notalwaysright said that the travellers weren't told until after the cruise had set sail, though.

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
              Now, you might say "I'm sure they were warned about construction so it's on them for booking." But they weren't told until the ship was setting sail.
              That's a very different kettle of fish. I'd be demanding compensation as well.
              "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Yeah, if the customer's weren't in fact warned, the company should, and probably will, be keelhauled.

Even if they were told properly, there are limits to what even discount-paying customers (and public-safety agencies) will accept.

Comment

I saw repeatedly that they weren't warned, and the cruise line never said they were. But I know people are stupid so I'm not discounting that they just didn't read the booking... Still, food shouldn't be contaminated, eyes shouldn't be glued shut, one person noted that escape routes were blocked.

The cruise line has now offered a free cruise. I would want cash...
                  Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

There's a difference between some maintenance and repairs being done, and having the kind of thing that went on on this ship. I saw some phone vids taken by passengers and we are talking MAJOR work here, saws and drills going constantly, the noise was overwhelming, the dust and the smells, etc. No way should they have booked passengers on that. Just move the damn ship where it needs to go. They were losing money on that cruise anyway so why even bother booking it?
                    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

People book them for the fact that they can see different ports than normal at a cheap price. It may surprise you to know that the repositioning cruise tend to sell out faster than any other cruise. I have never seen a listing for a repositioning cruise that didn't say at the time of booking that work would be done. As for why they would sell tickets on that... You can book tickets for trips on cargo container ships. If there is space and people are willing to pay, why wouldn't they sell tickets? I still put the blame on the person that booked the trip on the ship. I'm betting all they saw was a cheap cruise and didn't tell anyone else in their party that there was going to be work done because, hey, cheap cruise. How much can they really do anyway, right? I've seen the wear a ship can take in a few short months. A 2 year old ship on the last week before a move looks like it's falling apart. Pealing paint, rust, dirt, worn carpets, you name it. Salt water and lots of people break things down faster than you would think.

Comment

Working...
                      X