This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying not to be sucky but .... long and a bit ranty

I am the trying-not-to-be-sucky customer in this story. I had purchased a desk at the well-known Swedish-founded Dutch-based DIY company whose name rhymes with "idea."

I discovered that, for a rather exorbitant price, they would deliver it directly to my apartment (five times what they charged to deliver it to My Hometown from a city four hours away ... go figure). I said okay, since I wasn't 100% sure the larger of the two boxes would fit into my vehicle.

Staff member asks if I want it delivered Wednesday (April 25). I say no, Thursday is fine. Wednesday is my final day at the law office, so Thursday I have nowhere to go and might even get the thing put together. She said they phone you the night before to let you know whether the delivery will be morning or afternoon, so you have only a four-hour window (okay, not perfect, but better than waiting around all day, right?)

So today, Tuesday, April 24, I come home to a flurry of phone messages. Desk is on the way. Delivery guys are in the neighbourhood. Delivery guys are here, but nobody's home. No fucking kidding, guys. Further phone calls (there were, IIRC, a total of FIVE phone calls, at least, about this) inform me that if I want to reschedule I will have to pay a second delivery fee.

WTF ...

I phone their "customer service" line. End up in Phone Hold Hell for what seems like forever, but was probably about 10 minutes or so. Finally get some poor schmuck on the other end. I tell him the story, adding that there will be NO second delivery fee. He's very apologetic, puts me on hold again and goes off to see what he can dig up. I'm only on hold this time for a couple of minutes, then he returns.

Question 1: "WHAT was being delivered?" I tell him a desk. I'm starting to wonder if there was major confusion and they tried to deliver somebody's living/dining room suites to my little one-bedroom apartment. In which case they now have not one but two pissed-off customers.

Question 2: "Did you change the delivery date?" Why in hell would I do that?? I knew I'd be at work all day!

I managed not to scream at the poor phone jockey, since I have no doubt he gets screamed at enough, and I seriously doubt that any of this was his fault. I kept my voice chilly and flat, but that was it.

He promised delivery would be on Thursday, as had originally been scheduled, and there would be no second delivery fee.

Oh, and there was NO night-before call, as the store staffer had promised. If there had been, of course, I could've straightened this out and not had the delivery guys waste their time sitting around waiting for my cats to answer the buzzer and open the door.

We'll see what happens on Thursday ...

I'm starting to regret not buying one of the two desks I saw at Local Charity Thrift Shop the other day.

If this second delivery goes south, though, I'll be getting a full refund and going to the local site of the office store whose name rhymes with "maples" ...
    Last edited by Pixelated; 04-24-2018, 10:40 PM.
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

Quoth Pixelated View Post
    I am the trying-not-to-be-sucky customer in this story. I had purchased a desk at the well-known Swedish-founded Dutch-based DIY company whose name rhymes with "idea." ::snip:: going to the local site of the office store whose name rhymes with "maples" ...
    you were not sucky. you didnt insult the phone dude, you didnt scream or demand free stuffs. as for the "maples" desks, having built more than my fair share, buy some double sided tape and good wood glue, it will ensure your new "Ready to Assemble" desk stays together. and honestly avoid the brand that rhymes with chowder, a hard fart and dirty look will cause it to not line up and collapse.
    This is a drama-free zone; violators will be slapped. -Irving Patrick Freleigh
    my blog:http://steeledragon.wordpress.com/

Comment

Sounds like you were having fun. Hopefully it does show up on Thursday and not today.

Does your town have an Idea Collection Point? They're all over my province; you pay a lot less for shipping and can pick up at your leisure basically (not that I've taken advantage of it). Granted you did say you weren't sure if the box would fit in your car, but it is an option to consider in the future.

My neighbour got a new table set from Idea, and after putting it together and flipping it over, she discovered one of the bolts had gone right through the top of the table. One of the holes was misdrilled or something apparently. So when we went to her place for the condo meeting, it was all boxed up and ready to be shipped back.

Comment

It did show up. I was going to get started on it and then I looked at the THIRTY-ONE-PAGE INSTRUCTION BOOKLET and thought ... "Screw it. Tomorrow."

In all fairness, the booklet is so long because there's no text, it's all pictures. It's still a somewhat more complex assembly than their bookcases, though.
        ~ Mr Hero

Comment

It did show up. I was going to get started on it and then I looked at the THIRTY-ONE-PAGE INSTRUCTION BOOKLET and thought ... "Screw it. Tomorrow."

In all fairness, the booklet is so long because there's no text, it's all pictures. It's still a somewhat more complex assembly than their bookcases, though.
          Ah yes, the classic puzzle of how to deliver instructions to people without hiring translators to cover most of the world. I remember (from my childhood) assembly instructions with Japanese text, fortunately they usually had enough pictures.

Comment

Or when all else fails, you could steal the neighbours furniture...

Comment

Quoth LadyofArc View Post
              Wish I'd thought of that earlier!

I've already run into a snag: the way the one picture shows it, I've put something on wrong ... but there's no other way to put it on!!

Fortunately it's just the drawer, so I'm going to just let it sit there and collect cat fur and go on to the rest of the instructions. I'll come back to it (much) later, check the diagram again, and if I'm still totally confused I will drag the drawer and the instructions back to the store ...
              ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Your story reminds me of this...

Click image for larger version

Name:	WYywhF7.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	2030767

Comment

I know JUST how he feels!

I understand why they go with pictures but I do wish they had the parts numbered ... the wooden parts, I mean. I'm not entirely sure I'm putting the right parts in the right places (yes, it is STILL a work in progress ...)
                  ~ Mr Hero

Comment

I wish I was close enough to help. I'm pretty good at those and enjoy doing them.
                    "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Working...
                    X