This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• True Crimes of the Break Room

Saw this Twitter thread and I thought it would resonate with some of us.

https://www.twitter.com/zaktoscani/s...48251546927104
    Last edited by EricKei; 03-31-2018, 12:05 PM. Reason: URLified the link/fixed target
    Don't waste time trying to convince someone that the sky is blue.

[cue Law & Order *doink doink* sound effect]
    PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Just read through the Twitter thread. Why do so many people think that swiping others' lunches is acceptable, even funny? You are taking something that someone else paid for, therefore, you are stealing. And how would you feel if you brought in a real treat that you were looking forward to for lunch, only to have someone else take it?

Not to mention, some folks have special diets due to health or cultural reasons. You steal your diabetic coworker's lunch and he ends up in the hospital due to the resulting blood sugar issues, you're going to hate yourself.

Just...seriously. If you did not bring it in, it is not yours to take. (Of course, if someone brings in a plate of goodies with a note that it's for everybody to share, that's totally different. Take your own portion and leave enough for everyone else.)
      I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
      My LiveJournal
      A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
        You steal your diabetic coworker's lunch and he ends up in the hospital due to the resulting blood sugar issues, you're going to hate yourself.
        What worries me is that we all know that there are people out there -- say, the ones who see nothing wrong with stealing lunches -- who would not feel guilty in the slightest if this happened. >_<
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
          What worries me is that we all know that there are people out there -- say, the ones who see nothing wrong with stealing lunches -- who would not feel guilty in the slightest if this happened. >_<
          Yes, there are sociopaths out there. But I would think the ones who are stealing just out of thoughtlessness would get a serious reality check and guilty conscience if something like this happened.
          I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
          My LiveJournal
          A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
            You steal your diabetic coworker's lunch and he ends up in the hospital due to the resulting blood sugar issues, you're going to hate yourself.
            You're assuming the thief/thieves have any shame to begin with, which is unlikely, considering they're already committing theft.

Comment

Still not over the temp who stole my dinner from the breakroom fridge. Never saw him before he worked that shift... Funnily enough, never saw him again afterwards either! Didn't make me feel any less hungry, but it did feed my satisfaction that he lost the gig.
              This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
              I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Quoth RealUnimportant View Post
                Funnily enough, never saw him again afterwards either!
                Well yeah -- He did what he had set out to do. No doubt, he had been stalking your lunches for weeks, watching and waiting for a pattern, to be ready when you brought *just* the perfect lunch one day, and BAM! Mission accomplished, no more need to maintain the façade of wanting to work there. Thus, he vanished into the wind.
                "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

One of our lazier housekeeping staff makes it a point to take a bit too long--way past the 2-3 seconds to find a spot for one's lunch bag--examining the fridge when stashing her lunch and I know she's looking for unlabeled stuff to filch.
                  "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                  "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Working...
                  X