Go Back   Customers Suck! > The Heart of the Site > Sucky Customers

Old 07-16-2018, 03:03 PM
RVT

My mother did that to me in the 1960's, when I was around 10. I don't remember when it started, and we moved from that neighborhood after I turned 13, so I was pretty damned young when that happened. Once I hit high school I refused to do it anymore, so that was that. I got in trouble for being a surly teen fairly often, so nothing new there...

Old 07-17-2018, 10:34 AM
Computer Geek

Quote:
Quoth LadyofArc View Post
My mum did try this with me when I was younger - she sent me to the newsagency (as a 15-year-old) to either buy or cash in her weekly lotto tickets (can't remember which) along with some other errands.

Cue my mother being one of THOSE folks who rings up to complain afterwards and then being told what the actual law is. -_-
My mother used to try and send me in to buy her cigarettes, and then she'd yell at ME when they refused.
Yes folks, there's a reason why I'm so screwed up these days.

Old 07-18-2018, 03:09 AM
stressed out broke pizza guy

Location: In the land of Green and Gold eating Pepperoni with an UZI

Quote:
Quoth nutraxfornerves View Post
When I was a kid, before smoking was considered a big deal, it was very common for parents to send kids (not just teens, much younger kids as well) to buy cigarettes. Mom would write a note to the shopkeeper, hand you a few dollars, and send you off.
Quote:
Quoth Jetfire View Post
When I was younger, I was one of those kids too. 10-15 years old, I'd be told to run into the local Irving or whatever convenience store we were at, and pick up a pack of smokes and/or some lotto tix.
I am a child of the 1960's. Even though I lived in a mostly major central mid-western city my area of the city sometimes had the feel of a smaller town. my area had corner bar/pubs, the corner drug store, the locally owned barber shop, bakery, chair place, printer, professional photo and photo supply place, etc.. We also had the corner Mom & Pop corner grocery store and meat shop. and they even did credit. Occasionally my Mother would sent me down to the grocery store to buy her cigarettes. The cashier and the owners knew my family and me so no age restriction there way back then. This was a "looser more layed back" time for certain things.

Now-a-days LOL yeah not happening.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Old 07-18-2018, 08:46 PM
Seasonal Tax Preparer

Quote:
Quoth nutraxfornerves View Post
When I was a kid, before smoking was considered a big deal, it was very common for parents to send kids (not just teens, much younger kids as well) to buy cigarettes. Mom would write a note to the shopkeeper, hand you a few dollars, and send you off.
Not long after I got my license, my dad regularly sent me to pick up his pipe tobacco. He had a special blend and a line of credit at that shop.

Who is John Galt?
-Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged