This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to keep smoke odors out of stuff?

My boyfriend and I are moving out of our dorm room next Saturday and will be moving into an apartment for the summer. However, our lease doesn't start til June 1st, which is fine with us because we're going to be in China for academic reasons until June 3rd or so. This means we need to keep all our stuff somewhere for the weeks we're in China, since we have to empty and sign out of the dorm room before we go.

My parents offered to let me use a spare bathroom as a storage space, which would save me $100+ in storage fees. The only problem is that the entire house smells like smoke. I can't go home for a half hour without coming back smelling like tobacco smoke. I don't want to bring my stuff and leave it there for almost a month in cardboard boxes where they'll soak up all the odor. What's a good way to store things and keep odors out?

I'm thinking about buying vacuum-storage bags that shrink and stay airtight for the bedding and pillows, and maybe plastic storage bins for smaller things like desk supplies and stuff. Probably just going to put our clothes in suitcases and wash everything when we move out, since we can't afford vacuum bags for everything.

Anyone have other tips?

"When your deepest thoughts are broken, keep on dreaming, boy; when you stop dreaming it's time to die" -- Blind Melon

Well, ozone generators would be more expensive than vacuum bags, so just be resigned to washing everything when you get back from China.

My parents were chain smokers when I was in college, and they wondered why I didn't come home with bags of dirty laundry like their friends' kids did. It's because even the washing machine would just infuse the smoke odors into the clothes and I'd have to wash everything again when I got back "home" to my dorm.

Comment

The vacuum storage bags are great, but can get expensive. Buy the heavy, lawn trash bags. Toss in a silica gel pack and seal them up.
      Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
      Save the Ales!
      Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Quoth Raveni View Post

My parents were chain smokers when I was in college, and they wondered why I didn't come home with bags of dirty laundry like their friends' kids did. It's because even the washing machine would just infuse the smoke odors into the clothes and I'd have to wash everything again when I got back "home" to my dorm.
        I actually live in the same town as my parents and they always wonder why I go to the laundromat or use the campus laundry facilities for $3-$6 per load when I could bring my laundry home. I did it a few times when I was a college freshman, then stopped when one of my friends asked me when I started smoking -- my clothes always smelled like cigarettes after I did laundry with my parents.

I couldn't even notice the odor, since I had only been living away from home for weeks/a few months at that point and was still used to the way my parents' house smelled. I do notice the smell when I visit my parents now. I don't really have the heart to tell them that their house makes my laundry smell like musty old smoke, so I tell them that I prefer being financially independent (which is true, I don't mind paying for my laundry).

To everyone else, thanks for the suggestion of a thick garbage bag -- I hadn't thought about that at all but it sounds like it would work just as well. Where can I buy silica gel packs, though?

"When your deepest thoughts are broken, keep on dreaming, boy; when you stop dreaming it's time to die" -- Blind Melon

Comment

I know some pet supplies stores will carry silica gel packs, you can find them near the litter/litterboxes because they can be used to help absorb those smells too. But you might also be able to get them at Wal-Mart/Target/etc.

Comment

Quoth MaggieTheCat View Post
            I know some pet supplies stores will carry silica gel packs, you can find them near the litter/litterboxes because they can be used to help absorb those smells too. But you might also be able to get them at Wal-Mart/Target/etc.
            I'll check both when I go to pick up packing supplies this week. Thanks

Comment

There are also charcoal packs by the coffee makers, that would help absorb odors. We used to use them in Alaska with the well water.

Comment

Silica thingies? Look in your OTC meds, script meds and shoe boxes.
                Oh. And look in the cat supply aisle @ superstores, there are containers of straight silicone. You could try putting those in a sock, tie sock up, insert. Or pantyhose, something like that.
                Last edited by Der Cute; 04-29-2012, 04:49 AM. Reason: added thought
                In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
                She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

Make your own silica gel packs with odour-absorbant kitty litter?
                  This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                  I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

and... although it's too late now for your case, it brings up a good point about smoking...

When mom first smoked she use to have to wash the walls cos she smoked in the house. until she found out it wasn't good for sis & I cos of our allergies / lungs.

when she took up smoking again she chose to only smoke in the garage, car (sometimes), and outside. so inside the house ... it never really stank much.

I mention this because my bf has been in this apartment for 2 years now. the previous tenant was a smoker and - even now - sometimes I can smell it in the bathroom. I think some of the smell is permanently lodged in the carpet & walls. Either that or it's leaking down from the guy above us.

So... the best way to *really* keep smoke smells down is to keep the smoke away from what you want smelling nice in the first place.

for keeping it smelling nice while in storage... you may want to ask your parents to try to move it outside if they'll do it for you. also, consider storing your stuff with fabric softener sheets and the vacuum bags. really make sure they're sealed tight though. i've had some that opened up cos i stuffed them too full. you might want to consider vacuum bags INSIDE another bag or storage container too.

then when you get them home, you might want to try airing the clothes outside if possible. that can really help get rid of funny smells. and of course washing them. (or washing & air-drying if you can)
                    Last edited by PepperElf; 04-30-2012, 12:12 PM.

Comment

I went to Target today and bought 4 large Sterilite storage totes and some industrial-duty lawn bags. I plan on wrapping everything in the lawn bags, using my vacuum cleaner to remove the air and secure with rubber bands, then lock everything up in the plastic totes. I'm adding fabric softener sheets to each bag, as well. Hopefully this will keep everything safe.

We'll be packing this week, moving out Saturday and heading to Maine for a week and a half starting Sunday. Then we fly to China until the first week in June. So we will see what shape everything is in when we get back.

Thanks for all the advice, I really appreciate it!

then when you get them home, you might want to try airing the clothes outside if possible. that can really help get rid of funny smells. and of course washing them. (or washing & air-drying if you can)
                      I'll try to do this as well, it sounds like it would help quite a bit. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                      X