X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "But I thought the other relatives had her."

http://news.gather.com/viewArticle.a...81474981170521

Parents leave their daughter behind at Chuck E Cheese.
    Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Ugh, big fail on both sides. ><

Comment

Geez, that's awful. I was expecting just a short amount of time until they figured it out but that's so long!

*I* even do a head count when I'm out with friends and there's multiple cars. Hell, I even do it when we're just splitting up to get to the next location on foot! I imagine when I have kids, I'll be counting all the time lol. My mom had just us two kids and she was always checking (to be fair, she's also a teacher haha).

Comment

Hey, all, just a friendly reminder to please keep this thread on the straight and narrow, and please take fratching comments to fratching.

Comment

EPIC fail for sure. Worthy of a face palm.
          I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
          Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
          Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

As a parent I can tell you that could happen to anybody. If you believe someone else has the child for the night you aren't going to realize they're missing.

It happened to my brother. He though his oldest was with my husband. My husband thought he was with my brother. It was two hours before they saw each other again and we realized he was missing.

Thank God he was found by a couple who called the police. It still chills my blood remembering it and thinking of what could have happened. I've very seldom ever felt panic like I did that day.

The police gave my brother a lecture. He was so grateful he took it gladly. Because they were right. Oldest Younger Brother should have communicated better with Mr. Dips before he walked away. Mr. Dips shold have clarified exactly which kids he was watching before OYB walked away. But the police didn't even call CPS because it clearly wasn't neglect or abuse. It was just one stupid human error that, thank God, didn't end as badly as it could have.
            The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Comment

This is, unfortunately a very common occurrence and a very easy mistake to make. We read about this stuff in the news all the time, and understand how easy it can happen, and to anyone.

The husband and I literally play tag team with our daughter. If I pass her off to him, I do it deliberately, knowing that we have mutually agreed who is officially watching her. If I have her, and he takes her, we say "Okay, I've got her now. Okay?" and there has to be understanding and acknowledgement between us. Because otherwise, this is an error waiting to happen. And it can happen even to the best of parents.

Comment

When my dad was a kid, he got left at his aunt's and uncle's house. In that case, it was too many kids...he was the middle child of seven kids, and when it was time to load up and go home, he stayed behind to watch TV, and they didn't count before they left. They got halfway home before they realized he was missing. When they got back, he was still sitting there watching TV.

I'm so absent-minded and unobservant, I'm afraid of what will happen when I have kids. Hubby has stated he is also afraid. I'm a ditz and a derp and I know it. I fear for my future children; I really do. (My secret plan is to pass them off to Hubs and let him handle them...what could go wrong with that? You can do that with kids, right? ...yeah, I'm screwed.)
                Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Our famdamnly get together rule is "The last to leave gets the lost"...

Which is why my mother's older sisters have 4 and 6 kids... and she has 10.
                  I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                  Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                  Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Okay. I'll confess my own phobias and neurosis here.

When my kid was a baby, I had a crippling fear of leaving her in the car. It happens to people. God. I'm getting a queasy feeling just thinking about it again. I'm so glad she's six now.

It never, ever even came remotely close to happening. Never. However, the phobia I developed about it literally was causing me problems.

Anyways, I would take her to day care (this is when I worked) and my ritual in the morning was to slip my door key to my job UNDER HER in her car seat. If the kid was in the car, I could not even touch my door key.

This never saved me because it was my last safety measure. My first one was my phobia, so that kicked it way before anything else was needed. However, if for some reason I had a mind spasm, I would not have been able to get inside my office.

But my point is that as a parent, you can and should come up with ways to overcome your own scatterbrain-ness (and I am a huge scatterbrain, believe me) and your own stupidity. And just plain accidents. Make it harder to have them and your (hopefully) at least a little less likely to screw up.

Comment

I used my favorite old stuffed animal; if Dubby was in the front seat, Khan was in the car. If Dubby was not in the front seat, he was in the cat seat instead of Khan and all was well.
                      https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

A woman I worked with had 6 kids. One day she was leaving for work, just pulling out of the driveway, and realized her youngest was not in the back seat as usual. She went back into the house and there he was, in his carseat which was on the sofa, and he was giving her that "Jeeez, Mom!" look.
                        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I think this line scares me the most:

The parents were among the people who called in to claim her.
                          Who else was trying to claim her?
                          I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                          I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                          It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Working...
                          X