This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dropping the Banhammer! (Super-Long)

I'm very excited, as I so rarely have stories anymore. I cover shifts for other employees at the bookstore where I used to work full-time; I am 'on-call' so I only work 2-3 times a month.

Yesterday I worked and my manager told me they recently 'fired' two customers. The first I didn't know but I had run into the second guy a couple months before.

Here's what happened when I checked him out:

Mr. Lawyerman was buying stuff to mail to his son, whom he told me is also a lawyer. He mentioned several times that I should never trust lawyers. Then he asked if I liked to read (yes) and that he only recently regained his love of reading due to an incident from his childhood. You see, "Miss Agnes Smallwood" was his teacher when he was a kid. The day JFK was assassinated, the principal announced the news over the PA. Miss Smallwood told her class that this was sad news, but they had to go on and no let it interrupt their learning. For some reason this killed Mr. Lawyerman's love of reading for the next 35 years or so. Then he regained it somehow and one day he saw the now very elderly Miss Smallwood at an opera, and he marched up and told her she was the worst teacher he ever had and she made him hate reading for 35 years. Then he laughed, "Did you like that story?"

Me: "Ummm...?" Actually that's rather dreadful.

Then he said he recenltly saw "The Merchant of Venice" on stage and he thought this play was responsible for the Holocaust. Luckily at that point I had quite a line and he finally noticed and left.

So yeah, one of those talky slightly off-kilter people...I don't usually mind them too much, especially since I work so rarely these days. When I mentioned this story to some other co-workers, they knew exactly who he was and said they all had heard about "Miss Smallwood" and thought it was terrible of him to do that (if he actually did it)!

Apparently, after being annoying but not too awful, Mr. Lawyerman ramped it up. During one of his chats with a co-worker (who happend to be the GM, all the managers at the store work the floor just like the rest of us) that he hadn't seen his daughter in 20 years because when she was a kid Mr. Lawyerman took her on a camel ride and someone took a picture and gave it to CPS and they took the girl away because they thought he was sexually abusing her because of a camel ride.

Me: "I think there's some dots he's no connecting in that story..."

Anyway, GM was very uncomfortable and asked him to leave. But he wasn't banned yet!

Mr. Lawyerman called to have some CDs ordered. He refused to give his name to the employee who took the call, because the employee should have know who he was. Employee still out in the order (I would have refused) and held them under "That Chatty Guy". So of course when Mr. Lawyerman came to pick up his CDs no one could find them under his name...and Mr. Lawyerman went berserk. He shouted and stamped and said he wouldn't sue us but he would accept a $1000 settlement instead. GM calmly told him he could accept GM's sneaker kicking his ass out of the store permanently (OK, GM is way too calm and polite to say this, but I like to imagine he did).

So, no more Mr. Lawyerman. It seems to me that he has a mental illness that is escalating, and that is sad, but no one should have to put up with that kind of behaviour, and I'm glad my co-workers don't have to anymore.
    https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Quoth AnaKhouri View Post
    Then he said he recenltly saw "The Merchant of Venice" on stage and he thought this play was responsible for the Holocaust. Luckily at that point I had quite a line and he finally noticed and left.
    Meh. Shakespeare was actually quite liberal for his era-- he actually gave Shylock a reason for being the bad guy, which was far more than most of his peers did to their Jewish characters/villains.

Granted, the reason was "everyone treats me like dirt, so I'm going to act like it". Not the most... ah... inspired reason out there. But at least it was a reason.

Comment

Quoth AnaKhouri View Post

So, it was Shakespeare that invented anti-Semitism?

Huh. You learn new stuff everyday.

/sarcasm.
      Don't wanna; not gonna.

Comment

Quoth 42_42_42 View Post
        So, it was Shakespeare that invented anti-Semitism?

Huh. You learn new stuff everyday.

/sarcasm.
        :Off Topic:

To be honest, I've heard that Marlowe's The Jew of Malta was worse. There is a bit of a discussion in the CS Shakespeare Social Group "The Globe Theater", if you're interested (link in my signature)

SC
        "...four of his five wits went halting off, and now is the whole man governed with one..." W. Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing Act I, Sc I

Do you like Shakespeare? Join us The Globe Theater!

Comment

Working...
        X