This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Special Characters for "Special" Users

New user attempts to log into the software I support but can't. I troubleshoot but cannot find a cause of the problem. I chalk it up to user error and do a manual forced login on the user's behalf.

This happens again the very next day. Now I'm curious. I ask the user to tell me what she is using for her password.

User: Well, I know it needs at least one special character, so I used my middle name but put a dollar sign in place of the s, then the down-and-back arrow, and then the middle part of my phone number with an exclamation mark for the one.
    Me: The down-and-back arrow?
    User: Yeah. That's a special character, right?
    Me: I'm not familiar with a down-and-back arrow. Do you mean one of the slashes?
    User: No, the down-and-back arrow! On my keyboard, it's above the Shift key.
    Me: <looks at keyboard> ... The Enter key?
    User: Yeah, that one.

I was going to explain how pressing Enter was the same as telling the computer you were done entering your password, but I changed my mind. I just told her that the down-and-back arrow was not a valid special character for this system. She picked a new password and seems to be doing just fine now.

I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
    - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
    - IPF

Where's the "Any" key??
    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

"The down and back arrow? Yeah, it's right next to the Any key..."

edit: Damn post ninjas >_<
      Last edited by EricKei; 04-20-2015, 01:45 PM.
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
        Where's the "Any" key??
        Compaq took them out of their keyboards some time ago.

(no, I'm no joking)
        I AM the evil bastard!
        A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
          Where's the "Any" key??
          Uh, right next to the "Easy" button?
          Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
            Uh, right next to the "Easy" button?
            Isn't that right after the "Let Me Down" key?
            I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
            Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
            Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Or the "Why do I have to work with this tur" key?
              Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Wait, Compaq still exists?

I know, they got absorbed by HP a while ago. I remember when they were still a separate entity, and saw inside one of their cheaper products of the time - a machine so compromised it made my head hurt, and which some wily salesman had sold as "expandable" (it really wasn't).

Comment

Well the Compaq series was around for a long time. I haven't seen anything in a while though. The "Any" key thing was well before the buyout though.
                  I AM the evil bastard!
                  A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Oh dear god....

Is it bad that I can almost see one of my CW's trying to do this?
                    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
                      Where's the "Any" key??
                      Bottom row of the keyboard. It's the long one in the center; they just don't bother labeling it anymore.

Seriously, that's what I've had to tell people in the past.
                      "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
                        Where's the "Any" key??
                        I usually tell people it's the Shift key. That's the least potentially destructive key I know of. (Enter is a bad choice for a variety of reasons... any letter could potentially be a valid option on the screen at a particular time... Space key probably is less dangerous than those above, but windows sometimes has a habit of using it for a dialog box option, I'd rather people have to read and choose/click something on the screen than always be selecting default)
                        Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart!

Comment

Quoth Chromatix View Post
                          ...and which some wily salesman had sold as "expandable" (it really wasn't).
                          Uh, are you sure he didn't mean "expendable?"
                          You know, as when it has issues...you get out the 40-pound fence maul and "hit any key to continue?"
                          Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Reading things like this always invokes the Blue Screen of Death on my brain. Also the 404 file not found error. I just sit for awhile gulping like a fish out of water, while my brain tries to recoop from SC 'logic'
                            Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
                              Uh, are you sure he didn't mean "expendable?"
                              You know, as when it has issues...you get out the 40-pound fence maul and "hit any key to continue?"
                              Well, it wasn't me who bought it. I already knew better, and this was a *long* time ago. In fact, I think I was in the process of hand-building a new machine to replace it - which ended up at roughly the same cost, while being vastly superior in every measurable way.

My clearest memories of that Compaq were that it was the first time I'd seen:

1) a duct from the PSU fan to the CPU heatsink, instead of an actual fan on the CPU. I think it was a Pentium-3 based Celeron, so it was thermally acceptable, but still...

2) *one* RAM slot, in anything that wasn't a laptop. There was plenty of space for a second or even a third one, but they just hadn't been designed in.

Comment

Working...
                              X