This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth cindybubbles View Post
    [*]People complaining about not having enough disk space to install the OS (about 3GB is required).
    My god not enough space?? My computer is almost 2 years old and it came with a 2TB hard drive, which we've barely put a dent in even with all the games on here and my massive folder of photos (33Gigs of pics, lol, I'm shutter happy) We still have 1.5TB free.

Comment

Hey,

I see that icon about Windows 10 ALL THE TIME on my Windows 7 machine, so I'm fully aware of it being ready in 4 days (I've done some research, also, so I know what I'm getting into)

Comment

I've read that home editions of Windows 10 will not have the option "show me what updates are available and I'll decide which ones to download and install". Microsoft publishes an update? Congratulations - you WILL download and install it immediately. Of course, since Microsoft has NEVER published a defective update that made people's machines unusable, this should not be a problem (and I've got some oceanfront property in Arizona to sell you).

Whatever happened to "I bought this computer, I own it, I get to decide what software gets installed"?
        Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

wolfie - yup. Home will have auto downloads. Pro will apparently have SOME degree of choice, but I'm unsure if it's 100% control; it MAY be that you have more or less complete control aside from being forced to the same base level as what they expect Enterprise users to be on. Enterprise should have full control.
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

People with odd display configurations have already been getting serious headaches from W10's automatic updates. This should come to a head before the OS is generally released.

Comment

MS has already backtracked on that, fortunately (see the other thread) -- they are including a method for preemptively deciding which updates to auto-download.
              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)

Comment

I'm seeing articles suggesting that Win10 looks alarmingly unpolished for a complex product only two weeks from going gold-master. Some are even openly praying that it won't be another Vista.

As we all know, Windows has a habit of alternating between solid and abysmal releases:

3.1 / 3.11
                95B
                95C / 98
                98SE
                ME
                XP
                Vista
                10 ...?

Comment

Hey, I'd put 2000 in there (just before Me) with at least a ...It wasn't bad (it was a derivation of NT, so it wasn't all that game friendly -- but if you knew what to tweak it was pretty usable), and (AFAIK) served as the basis for the XP codebase.

Comment

I must be weirder than I thought, since I got along fine with both Vista and 8.0. Of course, I'm not the most demanding computer user around.
                    "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                      Hey, I'd put 2000 in there (just before Me) with at least a ...It wasn't bad (it was a derivation of NT, so it wasn't all that game friendly -- but if you knew what to tweak it was pretty usable), and (AFAIK) served as the basis for the XP codebase.
                      Yeah but 2000 (and the NT platform in general) was designed around business use, not home use. Most home users would never have dealt with it and I'm guessing the list was for home versions.

Quoth Seanette View Post
                      I must be weirder than I thought, since I got along fine with both Vista and 8.0. Of course, I'm not the most demanding computer user around.
                      Eh, they functioned, sort of, later on with patches. At launch however both Vista and Win 8 had some pretty severe issues. Win 7 was built around the Vista platform fixing the major issues it had mainly for damage control (remember the Apache debacle?) and 8.1 addressed Win 8's issues.
                      Last edited by lordlundar; 07-28-2015, 12:01 PM.
                      I AM the evil bastard!
                      A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

"Apache debacle"?

I'm pretty much a basic end user, and don't need super-duper bleeding-edge performance for what I do with a computer (largely Web use, some Office or QuickBooks for homework, and a couple of games that are very un-demanding of the computer).
                        "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Frequenty-updated list of hardware known to work on Windows 10 -- An item with "NO" next to it currently does not have a w10-compatible driver available from the manufacturer. For anything else, assume that you will need to download the most recent driver/BIOS version:

http://www.maximumpc.com/windows-10-...vers-updating/

Comment

Quick question: is there a Pro version of 10 coming out, and will Windows 8.1 Pro owners get that upgrade free, too? Boss Lady is planning to buy some computers and we have to have the pro version of Windows thanks to HIPAA issues. I don't want to tell her to buy 10 Pro if she'll be able to get the upgrade free when the new computer will come with 8.1 Pro.
                            Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

From what they're released:

Windows 7
                              • Those of you who currently run Windows 7 Starter, Windows 7 Home Basic or Windows 7 Home Premium will be upgraded to Windows 10 Home.
                              • Those of you running Windows 7 Professional or Windows 7 Ultimate will be upgraded to Windows 10 Pro.

Windows 8.1
                              • Those of you running Windows 8.1 (the standard edition) will receive Windows 10 Home. And those of you running Windows 8.1 Pro or Windows 8.1 Pro for Students will receive Windows 10 Pro.
                              • On the mobile phone side, if you're running Windows Phone 8.1, you'll get Windows 10 Mobile as your free upgrade.

Comment

Thank you again, EricKei!
                                Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

Working...
                                X