This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth EvilEmpryss View Post
    <sigh> Power surge at the office took out a computer and a printer. Forget the fact that the lights flickered, I am apparently to blame because I was installing a new printer driver at the time.

I have tried to explain the difference between a surge protector and a power strip before, but no one wants to listen. Power strips look like surge protectors, but they're a fraction of the cost, so why get something labeled "surge protector"? Belief isn't enough to protect your computers, honey.
    That reminds me, I should probably get 2 surge protectors, one for my office and the living room. I don't care if my work terminal fries - I'm not even sure it can, it's sort of a dummy terminal - but I often plug in my laptop there. And the Living room has my rocket hub...

Comment

This thread reminded me of a great moment I had with my mom.

This was back when computers were new and we owned a 5K one. Because that's how much they cost. It was two years later and the thing was getting hopelessly obsolete. It desperately needed more RAM and after a lot of whining and whinging, I convinced my mother to let me take care of it. I'm not in any way computer apt, I just bought the part and carefully followed the instructions. Mom was living in primal dread that I would screw it up.

However, everything went swimmingly. I powered it back on, ran it, all good. So then I went to sleep. Sleep that was most rudely interrupted.

Mom: YOU RUINED MY PRINTER! IT'S NOT WORKING!

That woke me and I lay in a dark room for a moment. In my sleep deprived state, I couldn't understand how RAM could affect the printer. So I cogitated for a moment and had an ephiphany, a moment of clarity that has rarely come since.

Me: Did you turn it on?

Mom: ...No, I... I don't think so... Stop laughing at me!!!

And she left, I went back to sleep and order was restored to the universe.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
        Did you have somebody go around waving their arms in order to keep the lights on, the way one Dilbert cartoon had the PHB deal with the automated (motion sensor) lights which went off when people were sitting at their desks?
        That reminds me of high school chemistry class in the new at the time, science building when during a written test, the lights went off because we weren't moving around as much as we did when we had a lab day, and the teacher was just sitting at his desk.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
          Did you have somebody go around waving their arms in order to keep the lights on, the way one Dilbert cartoon had the PHB deal with the automated (motion sensor) lights which went off when people were sitting at their desks?
          At one point I had been moved into an area like that while my desk area was being renovated. As the only one in the temp area (because the folks moving hadn't moved in yet), I took an out of the way cubicle in the corner. Turns out the auto-lights didn't detect in that corner. I had to kludge together a yardstick and paper fan to activate the lights without getting up and walking several feet to get in the sensor's zone.
          The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
          "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
          Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Working...
          X