This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snowmageddon, take 2.

Ok, NYC. Shouldn't you be an old hat at this now? Seriously? This is, what, our FOURTH storm of the season, and you ACTUALLY expect to get street sweepers out?! Why the HELL would you not suspend alternate side?!

This, after your Epic Fail in the first storm, Epic Overreaction to the second, and Flaily "I DON'T KNOOOOOOOW" in the third, and I've lost all confidence that you, a NORTHEASTERN CITY, knows how to handle something that happens every single deity-damned year.

Get off your asses and stop being stupid. If I hear of street sweeping vehicles smashing into cars because it's too slippery for their teeny tiny lil munchkin wheels, I will point and laugh. Then I will inform you that it is all your fault, and stop whining, because you have only yourself to blame for this unbelievable stupidity.

I'm petrified of parking on the street here (they always plow the lot here while I have to sleep *sigh*) because city plows and private contracted plow drivers here are notorious for bashing into people's vehicles, and refusing to pay up.

Bf lives in a "township" right outside of the big city, and one of their plows completely murdered the pole that holds up the mailbox, and the city at first refused to pay a dime towards buying them a new pole, and to add insult to injury, they bitched at my bf's parents that they would not be getting their mail unless the box was on an approved pole (as in, it has to be a certain kind). Eventually, they did pay some towards the new pole.....but that just irks me.

If they aren't bad enough, the private contracted plow drivers that the property management hires......well, suffice it to say, the day that I was out for a smoke while they were plowing, the plow ran right into the bobcat who was trying to remove excess snow from around the sides of the buildings. I mean, went on full speed and bashed right into it, and the bobcat was stuck in all 22 inches of snow we'd gotten the week before. That right there also terrifies me.
    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

They finally canceled alternate side. At 10:30AM.

However. I got to work, and shoveled the sidewalk. By the time I finished, the first bit I'd shoveled had a 1/4" depth on it again. Salt is my FRIEND.

Also, weather people? Um... Why the HELL did you say we'd be getting rain? It's nowhere NEAR warm enough for rain.

Comment

Ugh...I'm gonna have to go dig out the car soon......le sigh.
        "Getting to the top is optional. Getting down is mandatory." _Ed Viesturs
        "Love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking, and don't settle" Steve Jobs

Comment

The railway here has just installed de-icing equipment for use on the trains. It uses the same stuff as they spray on aircraft, but instead of mobile cranes they just have a fancy carriage-washer which they can drive the trains through. Net result should be less units and carriages out of service due to ice buildup.

That didn't stop the guard from having to knock ice out of the steps of a train I rode on yesterday, so that the doors would close properly.

Comment

And now we have THUNDERSNOW!

Sort of. It petered out after one good blast.

Comment

Quoth KiaKat View Post

Oh noes? I saw that video too, by the way. I've seen a snow/thunder/lightning storm here before. Totally rocked.
              Drive it like it's a county car.

Comment

I hear you on city incompetence. We've had the same number of storms here, with just enough warmth in between that we're starting to get geological layers of snow going in the drifts. They're currently topped with powdery stuff, but if you cut into the drifts, you can actually see the shape of the past three storms' drifts.

And then last weekend, the city sent out an e-mail warning telling residents to park on one side of the street Saturday, then the opposite side Sunday, so they could scrape out all the excess snow before the third and fourth Big Snows. Did it happen?

Of course not.

Drifts are still everywhere in the streets where the plows pushed them between parked cars, driving is still an absolute nightmare, and Hubby and I suspect that if any streets got an actual scrape-out like was promised, it was about five to ten blocks in the business area of downtown, leaving the entire rest of the city to fend for themselves.
                "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
                - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

my front door this morning ... needless to say hubby telecommuted today!

Last edited by AccountingDrone; 01-28-2011, 12:43 AM.
                  EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth KiaKat View Post

Oh yeah. I was there. I didn't hear it, but I sure by $DEITY saw it.

I was on my way to a wedding at Ateres Chynka (McDonald and Elmwood) at around seven PM, and had just wedged my car into a legitimate spot I'd been lucky enough to find when God's Own flashbulb went off. Damn was that bright.

Driving back to Jersey that night was . . . fun.

Comment

I did my uber research paper last semester on a Blizzard. Which blizzard you ask? Why, the Blizzard of 1888. You guys should look it up and snicker. Although, I must say, the Blizzard of 1888 was WAY WORSE than these little patterings of snow. Hah! New York's NEVER been good at snow, and never will be. People have this idea that technology is magically going to stop all bad things from happening.

They didn't learn from 1888 (that's a lie, the subway system is actually a direct result of the 1888 storm, prior to that, they had ELEVATED RAILS. Imagine if they still had THOSE)...

Chaos...

Comment

Quoth Gaki View Post
                        I did my uber research paper last semester on a Blizzard. Which blizzard you ask? Why, the Blizzard of 1888. You guys should look it up and snicker.
                        These are teh intarwebs! Looking up R simpl!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Blizzard_of_1888

Comment

It's snowing again...

And we're predicted to get another foot later this week.

So... who in Florida wants to take me in for a few months? I come with two cats, a fiance, and mad booze skillz.

Comment

Quoth TheSHAD0W View Post
                            These are teh intarwebs! Looking up R simpl!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Blizzard_of_1888
                            I didn't even think of wiki! Oh my goodness! There must be something wrong with me. My Uni has conditioned me to not even think of wiki!

This is a great wiki page though! Everyone look at it! It's like the present but with more f***-ups!

Comment

Quoth KiaKat View Post
                              It's snowing again...

And we're predicted to get another foot later this week.

So... who in Florida wants to take me in for a few months? I come with two cats, a fiance, and mad booze skillz.

Florida?

you dun wanna come to Texas??

Comment

Working...
                              X