X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth lupo pazzesco View Post
    you dun wanna come to Texas??
    I wouldn't. You're claiming below freezing temps lately. If I'm going someplace to escape the cold and the snow, then Texas, somehow, ain't the place to be.

Comment

Quoth Pedersen View Post
      I wouldn't. You're claiming below freezing temps lately. If I'm going someplace to escape the cold and the snow, then Texas, somehow, ain't the place to be.
      Well, yes, but compared to what y'all have been dealing with, one would think that 31 degree overnight lows would be a balmy reprieve.

And current temp in Houston is 63, with a light rain. Just sayin'.

Comment

Born-and-bred northerner here, but I'll still vouch for Texas winters (if only for Hubby's sake). I should not be able to wear short sleeves outside in late December. There's just something fundamentally wrong about that.
        "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
        - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

I almost went out in short sleeves this evening. In Finland.

I actually went out with just a sweater on instead of the usual fleece jacket, gloves and hat. It was just to the shop across the road, but I thought it would look odd if I wore only a shirt with fresh snow on the ground.

Comment

Maybe it's because I've lived too long in Wisconsin and will hate this place until the day I can leave somewhere dry for good, but I think it's pure NONSENSE that some places have to be so cold that for several months you have to bundle up in several layers of clothes just to go out for a gallon of milk, and that the weather can be so horrible that all plans have to be "we'll see what the weather is like", lest there's a blizzard or ice storm.

I would do very bad things to be able to wear a short sleeved shirt or tanktop outside, every day, for the rest of my life. To NEVER have to wear a giant, puffy jacket and look like a linebacker to go outside, to NEVER have to wear mittens or a scarf ever again, to NEVER have to wear five shirts to keep warm, to NEVER see the disgusting sight known as winter weather again.
            You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Aw, come on Blas, tell us how you really feel.

Actually you'd probably be fine in Helsinki. Winter comes every year and there is plenty of snow on the ground, but everything keeps running and a decent fleece jacket is enough to keep you warm outside (most of the time). The insulation on houses is so good that the heating doesn't need to work very hard to keep you warm inside, either.

There is, however, just this tiny little language barrier...

Comment

I don't doubt you that the grass is greener over there......there have been weather forecasts telling us that we're colder than Nunavut, colder than Alaska, and colder than Greenland. Pathetic.

Comment

Quoth blas View Post
                  Maybe it's because I've lived too long in Wisconsin and will hate this place until the day I can leave somewhere dry for good, but I think it's pure NONSENSE that some places have to be so cold that for several months you have to bundle up in several layers of clothes just to go out for a gallon of milk, and that the weather can be so horrible that all plans have to be "we'll see what the weather is like", lest there's a blizzard or ice storm. I would do very bad things to be able to wear a short sleeved shirt or tanktop outside, every day, for the rest of my life. To NEVER have to wear a giant, puffy jacket and look like a linebacker to go outside, to NEVER have to wear mittens or a scarf ever again, to NEVER have to wear five shirts to keep warm, to NEVER see the disgusting sight known as winter weather again.
                  You want southern California. However, then you have to deal with skin-blistering heat 8 months out of the year. But the low in December is around 55.
                  "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Close but not quite. I want Arizona or Nevada.

Comment

NYC needs to suck it up and deal. We got 3 feet over 2 days last year Anyhoo, right now, it's in the 30s outside, but we've seen several dustings of snow (and ice) over the past week or so. Since our winter is nearly over--and has been pretty mild, compared to last year--I'm not complaining

Still, getting home some nights is a bitch...because the city of Pittsburgh refuses to put down salt, or even lower the plow's blades all the way. I'm not saying that they have to remove 100% of the crap on the roads, but not having to slide around on 3 inches of slush would be nice
                      Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Protege, something to remember - unlike most American cities, we have nowhere to put the snow. We can't push it outside city limits, because there's no clear land. We can't get dump trucks in to haul the snow to the harbour, because every time they're ready and the roads are clear enough, another storm hits.

If we were Boston, Philly, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Chicago, or Milwaukee, we'd probably be ok. But it's like Atlanta dealing with the ice - this is more than we're used to, and we're rapidly running out of space, time, patience, and tolerance.

It also doesn't help that homeowners aren't salting sidewalks. I took a nosedive on my way into work today, thanks to sidewalks that had been cleared, but not salted - it was basically black ice.

Comment

I blame the Packers and Steelers for our wintry mix. They just had to bring a bit of home with them when they came into town.
                          Question authority, but raise your hand first. -Alan M. Bershowitz

Comment

You're god damned right the Packers brought it with them.

We refuse to suffer alone.

Comment

Gyeh... I hate the Son of the Snowpocalypse that we got here last week.

I left work at 4pm, one hour early. My commute normally takes about 30 minutes depending on the traffic.

I got home at 1:15am. Hardly the worst commute anybody suffered in our area last week. I hadn't had anything to eat since lunch (around noon), hadn't gone to the bathroom, had no cell phone (I'd left it at home by mistake), and no book or anything in the car.

I went one mile in five hours. Took me another 3 to go another half a mile. Until I finally saw that the Toll Road/Beltway access ramp was zippin' along, so I nipped over there (normally I try to avoid that exit ... because it's the Beltway, and hence always a mess) and got on the Toll Road and got home about an hour later, but I didn't care that it took so long, because traffic was actually moving.

I had about a third of a tank of gas when I left home that morning. I was running on fumes by the time I got home. I love my Civic's fuel efficiency.

I saw the green flash of three transformers blowing, plus the flash of the actual thunder in the thundersnow. I'd never heard of such a thing, but it was just another thing that was making me go "FML" while I was stuck there.

The rage at my predicament burned itself out after the first six hours. By the time I got home, I was actually more mellow than anything. Probably because I knew I was NOT going into work the next day. (Which I didn't.)
                              PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Chromatix View Post
                                I almost went out in short sleeves this evening. In Finland.
                                Yeah, but everbody knows Finns are crazy.

(one set of great grandparents was from Finland )

Quoth Food Lady View Post
                                You want southern California. However, then you have to deal with skin-blistering heat 8 months out of the year. But the low in December is around 55.
                                Skin-blistering? The closest I've ever had to blistered skin was the day I spent 8 hours in a tiny bikini and no sun screen.

^-.-^
                                Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Working...
                                X